joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I heard, The EPS looks great through NYC.

Actually looks a little better than 12z. NYC Metro area and south is solidly in 12"+ on the mean, 15"+ over central Jersey. The mean is probably slightly further south, but overall not much change to my eyes. There's good clustering of the members until about 00z on Sunday when there's some divergence, one camp starts to pull away ENE, the other, larger, group is west of the mean (and a few stragglers headed SE). 

College Park thinks the OP 0z Euro may have had initialization issues due to it using slightly older data than the GFS. 

THE LOW ENTERING THE TN VALLEY ON DAY 3 IS PLAGUED BY CONCERNS WITH

THE 12Z ECMWF WHICH IS A BIT SLOWER AND ULTIMATELY MORE SOUTHWARD
CROSSING THE APPALACHIANS COMPARED WITH MOST OTHER
SOLUTIONS...WHICH HAS HUGE IMPLICATIONS FOR THE PRECIPITATION
ALONG THE EAST COAST DAYS 4/5
TRACING THE LOW TO ITS PRESENT
LOCATION OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC SHOWS THE ECMWF TO BE A BIT SLOW
INITIALLY 
WHICH MAY HAVE TO DO WITH ITS OLDER INITIALIZATION AND
GREATER RELIANCE UPON PRIOR FIRST GUESS FIELDS VERSUS THE GFS
WHICH IS MORE RECENT AND OFTEN MORE SENSITIVE TO SUBTLE SHIFTS IN
OBSERVATIONS

6z was not a good run for NW guys

Got a feeling from what little came out here overnight that this storm is trending south, but I can't read models...how far NW do you mean? Big Jim says NW of NYC seems ok, I am SW a bit from Manhattan. Seems like MA is the place to be, though we should not be outta the game. How far NW are you? Could not sleep much do to other reasons, so am up...

Got a feeling from what little came out here overnight that this storm is trending south, but I can't read models...how far NW do you mean? Big Jim says NW of NYC seems ok, I am SW a bit from Manhattan. Seems like MA is the place to be, though we should not be outta the game. How far NW are you? Could not sleep much do to other reasons, so am up...

I would say anyone north of Rockland county, sharp cutoff again.... We've seen these flip flop over the last couple days tho, this started out a southern trend, came back north yesterday... If the 12z and tonight's 00z are similar I'd be concerned

I would say anyone north of Rockland county, sharp cutoff again.... We've seen these flip flop over the last couple days tho, this started out a southern trend, came back north yesterday... If the 12z and tonight's 00z are similar I'd be concerned

well I would say that still sounds like a huge spread thanks

Regardless of how this plays out in the end, I think the city will be good for at least a 12" snowfall. If the heaviest snow stays just to our south then I don't see much more then that, a slight shift north could add several more inches onto that.

Thanks we are in the same vicinity so I usually pay attention to your observations. Guess we'll know more in a few days.

6z GFS looks nice, 1.5" - 2.0" QPF and plenty cold for the metro...

http://wxcaster4.com/gfs/CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif

Impressive snowfall totals. On the 6z GFS the h5 doesn't close up so in consequence it keeps the storm moving. NYC gets 15-20 inches on this run with much less as you head north into Southern NY state. I would say it's a step to last nights euro but not quite as dramatic. The 12z model runs will be interesting to say the least.

Sometimes the OP Euro is a little fast to close off 500 mb lows. The ensemble mean is further

north since it takes longer to close off. The ensemble mean is closer to the GFS.

ps2png-atls06-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-n5oxeE.png

ps2png-atls12-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-9WMB3w.png

Is it right in saying the GFS has been more consistent with track vs Euros wobbling a bit?

Today will be key to see if everything holds serve. At this point we are only about 84 hours away so some fine tuning will need to be done over the next couple days. As it stands the NYC area to around 50 miles north look to be in a good place at this time. Areas to the South and South West look to be in a pretty sweet spot at this time. Let's see how things play out today. Remember it's our first big potential of the season. So if it brings 6, 12 or whatever we should all still be excited because this winter will still have more systems over the next 6 weeks.

The pros are not discussing snow totals and neither should we. Sampling will be much better late tonight into tomorrow.

The WPC is evidently worried about p-type issues at the coast. Despite DC hitting the jackpot in the recent models, the WPC probability forecast accounts for the possibility for a further NW track. NYC has a higher probability of snow than DC.

prbww_sn25_f120.gif

Also, their QPF forecast has us in the 2" range:

95ep48iwbg_fill.gif?1453205856

LOW ENTERING THE TN VALLEY ON DAY 3 IS PLAGUED BY CONCERNS WITHTHE 12Z ECMWF WHICH IS A BIT SLOWER AND ULTIMATELY MORE SOUTHWARDCROSSING THE APPALACHIANS COMPARED WITH MOST OTHERSOLUTIONS...WHICH HAS HUGE IMPLICATIONS FOR THE PRECIPITATIONALONG THE EAST COAST DAYS 4/5. TRACING THE LOW TO ITS PRESENTLOCATION OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC SHOWS THE ECMWF TO BE A BIT SLOWINITIALLY WHICH MAY HAVE TO DO WITH ITS OLDER INITIALIZATION ANDGREATER RELIANCE UPON PRIOR FIRST GUESS FIELDS VERSUS THE GFSWHICH IS MORE RECENT AND OFTEN MORE SENSITIVE TO SUBTLE SHIFTS INOBSERVATIONS. THUS...THE SYSTEM IN THE EAST IS NUDGED MOSTLYTOWARD THE 18Z GFS WITH SOME INCORPORATION OF THE ENSEMBLE MEANSAND A LITTLE ECMWF TO ACCOUNT FOR THE SPREAD.

Yeah but that's referencing the 12z run, not the 0z?

The Euro ensemble mean is still NW of the OP and closer to the GFS at 0z. I still haven't seen the 0z new Hi res euro which

is set to go operational in March.

Agreed, but it is something to note that they made that comment about 12z and then 0z comes out like it did.

Kind of negates the "18z gfs had new data the 12z euro didn't" argument.

Archived