• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

We've been here before with this.  Not being negative, just realistic.  We really need to get something in the 0-120 hour time frame.

No doubt. It can fall apart much easier than work out. Has some things going for it. Most importantly, really nice sprawling high pressure for the first time. Both the GEFS and EPS have very similar ideas right now. And it's on the tail end of relaxing -AO. 

Seems like the drive to the lakes idea is losing traction as well. All we can do is sit back and watch. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt. It can fall apart much easier than work out. Has some things going for it. Most importantly, really nice sprawling high pressure for the first time. Both the GEFS and EPS have very similar ideas right now. And it's on the tail end of relaxing -AO. 

Seems like the drive to the lakes idea is losing traction as well. All we can do is sit back and watch. 

Very important IMO.

The less we need to go right at this range the better.

Very important IMO.

Better than not but we've seen widespread agreement totally fail at this range. Which I'm sure you know.. but these convos here eventually become rooting for snow sessions quite often.

Better than not but we've seen widespread agreement totally fail at this range. Which I'm sure you know.. but these convos here eventually become rooting for snow sessions quite often.

Ian, interesting look on the eps @ h5 d11-15. Looks like we warm a bit after whatever happens next week but things progressive to what I think would be a deep south storm track with sprawling HP across the eastern half of Canada that would block cuts. Temps aren't cold or anything but I could imagine a nice storm track with that look. Cold rain or warm snow galore. lol

The good news is that the cold shot is legit and is not a 24-48 hour in and out deal. Usually when a cold shot has 3-4 day staying power is does produce something even if it's just a 2-4 inch front end then ice/rain finish.

Not sure why they didn't just add a separate category for the GFSx on the main model page, but I'm sure there is a good reason for it. 

Because it's not operational. Simple as that. The main page is widely known by "armchair enthusiasts" - they probably just don't want people taking the GFSx and displaying it as the regular GFS to the general public. Tho with social media that problem has probably already arrived ;)

If they displayed all of the models regardless of whether they are operational or not there'd be so many I feel like. 

Because it's not operational. Simple as that. The main page is widely known by "armchair enthusiasts" - they probably just don't want people taking the GFSx and displaying it as the regular GFS to the general public. Tho with social media that problem has probably already arrived ;)

If they displayed all of the models regardless of whether they are operational or not there'd be so many I feel like. 

Makes sense

Ian, interesting look on the eps @ h5 d11-15. Looks like we warm a bit after whatever happens next week but things progressive to what I think would be a deep south storm track with sprawling HP across the eastern half of Canada that would block cuts. Temps aren't cold or anything but I could imagine a nice storm track with that look. Cold rain or warm snow galore. lol

Definitely not sold on any lengthy warm spell given the southern jet is raging and looks to stay that way. We're just sitting in the left exit region as well for the last few days so that could certainly be stormy.

tho HM just posted "late Jan into early Feb looking warm"

ive been seeing that possibility too and the ggem seems to agree. I like the look. Not cold but stormy and puts us in play. I know its hard to go through it and be patient but it's jan 14 and things really are progressing right on schedule. We knew the first half was going to be an uphill battle. But the script to salvage a decent winter is actually being followed. High latitude blocking periods. Signs the ridging wants to set up further northwest not over the northeast. Southern storm track starting to show up. After jan 20 it's time to start scoring for sure but we're not off track yet.

So is no one going to even throw out the fact that the GFSX gives us all 1-2 feet of snow?

i have no idea why or what the changes are on it but when I've looked at the gfsx it has shown some crazy solutions at range. Not just over amped but weird convective precip bands that seem to throw the whole system off. It just feels funky to me sometimes. Like a nam type feel. Can't put my finger on it but I don't like the feel of that model so far.

Archived