Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Cohen lost all credibility?

He is really smart but his theory is flawed, snow cover is a small, very small part of what drives blocking. Good news is we don't necessarily need a SSWE this winter for snow, I hope. If a Nina or even neutral winter occurs next winter then we will need blocking and potentially SSWE to trigger it.

Weeklies suck in strong Ninos. Go with the Can Sips or the Atari 2300 model that Jon likes to post.

They suck all the time IMO. I've only followed them for 2-3 years and they haven't performed well in any of the winters beyond 2 weeks. For whatever reason in weeks 3-4 they tend to want to go zonal a lot of the time it seems

He is really smart but his theory is flawed, snow cover is a small, very small part of what drives blocking. Good news is we don't necessarily need a SSWE this winter for snow, I hope. If a Nina or even neutral winter occurs next winter then we will need blocking and potentially SSWE to trigger it.

I agree that we don't need a SSWE. Cohen has been laying out the groundwork for one for two winters. If there is not one this winter, he should go back to the drawing board. Perhaps he can learn from busting and tweak his line of thinking.

I don't have the tools at my disposal right now and won't until late tonight.

Referring to Buckey1 immediately above, can anyone shed light on what the major indices were like Jan & Feb of 1998?  (AO, NAO, EPO, PNA etc). I'd like to look and see how they correlate with what we're looking at for the foreseeable future (15 days out or so).

The composite map I generated was quite warm for those 8 weeks.

If we're ranking with 1997 how was the winter that year.  I hope snowy from mid Jan. on.  :snowing:

That was winter '97 - '98 and Jan/Feb were warm.

If anyone can answer my post at #92 above, it might shed some light, however dim, on a possible correlation, if any.

December 97 was cold and snowy. Rest of the winter was warm and wet. I think Nashville had a nice snowstorm in Feb 98.

97-98 was the wettest Strong Nino on record, and one of the wettest Ninos if not the wettest. Very active STJ, ranking the winter in the 90th percentile for the SE and east.

Not sure why this title is messed up, but it's Percentile ranking (higher the #, the wetter the winter)...97-98 may be the wettest winter on record, regardless of enso.

ZIaRVhv.png

Here's what I have for the indices (may be wrong, they're from my personal spreadsheet)

1997-98

AO:

D -0.071

J -2.081

F -0.183

NAO:

D -0.96

J 0.39

F -0.11

Not a terrible look, but the strong southern jet overpowered the pattern and we simply never got cold. That shouldn't happen this winter, as we're seeing signs of cold shots in the extended period. Here's a 28 page technical report for fun reading: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/techrpts/tr9802/tr9802.pdf

97-98 was the wettest Strong Nino on record, and one of the wettest Ninos if not the wettest. Very active STJ, ranking the winter in the 90th percentile for the SE and east.

Not sure why this title is messed up, but it's Percentile ranking (higher the #, the wetter the winter)...97-98 may be the wettest winter on record, regardless of enso.

Here's what I have for the indices (may be wrong, they're from my personal spreadsheet)

1997-98

AO:

D -0.071

J -2.081

F -0.183

NAO:

D -0.96

J 0.39

F -0.11

Not a terrible look, but the strong southern jet overpowered the pattern and we simply never got cold. That's not happening this winter.. That shouldn't happen this winter, as we're seeing signs of cold shots in the extended period. Here's a 28 page technical report for fun reading: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/techrpts/tr9802/tr9802.pdf

I agree, I don't see the pac low setting up in the GOAK all winter, it will/should move into a more favorable spot.  That's assuming the GEFS/EPS are correct in setting it up there in the midterm.  Let's not forget that 09/10 didn't get going until end of Jan into Feb when all heck broke lose.  If it wasn't for that fluke mid-Dec event we would be at exactly the same spot.  I don't think we will see the cold from end of Jan through early March that 09/10 had but I don't think we see the warmth of 98 either.

1.2 has fallen off a cliff.

Cohen is almost ready to throw in the towel on a SSWE this winter...in a nutshell since the AO is already negative it inhibits it. We can safely toss that theory aside, it's about as valuable as the mole that sees his shadow.

I agree. The whole point of a SSWE is getting into a more stormy pattern with a flip in the AO...since we're already flipped way negative, we don't need one. haha. 

I agree. The whole point of a SSWE is getting into a more stormy pattern with a flip in the AO...since we're already flipped way negative, we don't need one. haha.

I need to read more on it, but my guess is that SSW induces greater potential for more severe and longer lasting blocking as opposed to -AO caused by tropospheric processes

They suck all the time IMO. I've only followed them for 2-3 years and they haven't performed well in any of the winters beyond 2 weeks. For whatever reason in weeks 3-4 they tend to want to go zonal a lot of the time it seems

I agree with this. And thanks for posting in our forum. Always appreciate reading your posts.

Archived