joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GFS - most of nation turns cold behind storm this weekend.  Then weak waves are trying to round the base of the large central / eastern U.S. trough.  Setup reminds me of snowjam II if a wave could round the base with overrunning into the Arctic air mass.  Light snow breaks out in TX, but is suppressed and can't push east.  PNA ridge looks good.  The full conus is cold

00z GFS - most of nation turns cold behind storm this weekend. Then weak waves are trying to round the base of the large central / eastern U.S. trough. Setup reminds me of snowjam II if a wave could round the base with overrunning into the Arctic air mass. Light snow breaks out in TX, but is suppressed and can't push east. PNA ridge looks good. The full conus is cold

At least it seems we have some widespread and long lasting cold ahead, with it being an El Niño and so much energy flying around something will pop up as we get closer to next week.

Just a gorgeous setup.  It phases, warms and lifts north at the end, lol.  hr 252 is about as textbook as it gets for many of our good southern stream winter storms.  Love the look and matches with what we've been seeing with the op and ensemble runs.

Shocker...clipper in southern Canada pushes the (weak) HP off the coast and everyone gets rain. :P

OH, AND there's a random LP in Missouri. Oy vey.

Just a gorgeous setup. It phases, warms and lifts north at the end, lol. hr 252 is about as textbook as it gets for many of our good southern stream winter storms. Love the look and matches with what we've been seeing with the op and ensemble runs.

It's under 300 hours and we still have a good signal for a storm. I have my eye on the 12-14th time range and then 16-18th also.

00z GFS - most of nation turns cold behind storm this weekend.  Then weak waves are trying to round the base of the large central / eastern U.S. trough.  Setup reminds me of snowjam II if a wave could round the base with overrunning into the Arctic air mass.  Light snow breaks out in TX, but is suppressed and can't push east.  PNA ridge looks good.  The full conus is cold

00z GFS Ens has this type of event from hr150-192

It's under 300 hours and we still have a good signal for a storm. I have my eye on the 12-14th time range and then 16-18th also.

Parade rainer oner.

Mr. Cold Rain sir!  I wish to bring to your attention the fact that I'm now at 31 degrees, quite sufficient to freeze falling water, should said water be available.  But as so many times before the water has scurried off, lol, it's winter, it's cold....but alas no water :)  My guess it you are colder there, with maybe flurries, but moisture starved non the less....so I rest my case, lol.  You've got to have the water in winter :)  T

Amateur question here.. At the end of the GFS run, there's a LP system that has a lot of moisture to it and has an inland track.. What would it take to get the temperatures low enough to have frozen precip? I would assume that you would need a unique type of scenario with a HP, since a really strong HP behind it up northwest would probably suppress that or keep it offshore..

Amateur question here.. At the end of the GFS run, there's a LP system that has a lot of moisture to it and has an inland track.. What would it take to get the temperatures low enough to have frozen precip? I would assume that you would need a unique type of scenario with a HP, since a really strong HP behind it up northwest would probably suppress that or keep it offshore..

It needs to track across Fla.  The low in Ga will nearly always  to hot for us around Atlanta. It would be unique indeed for a storm that strong to thow out snow crossing Ga. It needs to be weaker, and down in Florida for us.  Tony

Hmm Euro coming into agreement with GEFS on nice Miller A storm January 14-15th. 1041 high over the Midwest pressing down with a weak low over southern Louisiana. Would be snow across much of northern AL, GA and likely parts of SC/NC. Run ends at 240 but looks really good...

Euro is very amplified with the weekend cutter, much like the UKMet look.  Then huge cold vortex drops down so it's cold across the country, and especially over the Great Lakes.  W Canada ridging keeps popping up through the run.  Weak wave and gulf low gives light wintry precip across upper south from 222-240, with strong and cold sfc high over MN into Iowa.  Larger STJ wave gets stuck on the west coast at hr240 but would be a big player if it kicked out.  Pattern looks fun and loaded with potential.

Hmm Euro coming into agreement with GEFS on nice Miller A storm January 14-15th. 1041 high over the Midwest pressing down with a weak low over southern Louisiana. Would be snow across much of northern AL, GA and likely parts of SC/NC. Run ends at 240 but looks really good...

Would love to see a snow accumulation map of that.

Overall I think we are seeing good agreement from the models to watch the 12-14th and 16-18th for potential snow events. Euro coming on board at hours 222-240 increases confidence by a large margin. The key now is to see consistency from the Euro and other models on this system.

6z was a complete weenie run storm after storm rolling thru the south. Plenty of "fantasy storms" for the crowd that has that fetish.

I had to take a look at it again once you posted that. I didn't see anything really solid even in the fantasy category.  But I could have easily missed something.  hr 288-300 showed some promise as it usually does on the 17th which seems to be a date many like but even that looked like a slow arctic front.   

Archived