• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

It was a great run. As long as folks can stay away from the details, out past 7 days, they can appreciate the fact that there will be a pattern conducive to winter storms.

You are right.  Plenty of potential although not a great as 18z yesterday.  Of course this weekend and early next week showed quite a bit of potential about a week ago and now we are looking at couple of rain makers for both of us. But I'll leave the light on for anything more than potential that wants to show up at my door.  

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indexes don't look too shabby today.  Overnight operational model runs look decent as well:

attachicon.gifao.sprd2.jpg

attachicon.gifNCPE_phase_21m_small.jpg

The NAO is slightly better from yesterday. Now it goes negative and then heads back towards an average of neutral in the LR (with some member spread). AO is about the same. The PNA is a little more towards neutral but stays positive in the LR (so we can say it averages slightly positive).   

Top CPC analogs...83 and 98 both show up 3 times and take the top 4 spots.  #strongnino

1966 is there too...also was a strong nino, had a +AO/+NAO in Dec then a flip to -AO/-NAO for Jan-Feb..Also had a warm December, and a full CONUS influx of cold last 1/3rd of Jan. RDU had 11.8" that winter 

post-785-0-03741100-1452004398_thumb.gif

1966 is there too...also was a strong nino, had a +AO/+NAO in Dec then a flip to -AO/-NAO for Jan-Feb..Also had a warm December, and a full CONUS influx of cold last 1/3rd of Jan. RDU had 11.8" that winter 

1966 and 1970 both featured a cold outbreak late in the month with daily records in CLT that remain today. 1966 saw a snowstorm on the 29th followed by lower single digit lows the following two mornings. Not a bad analog

Yeah, you can see the -EPO signature there and that goes along with the pattern we would want to see (1/20/66-1/30/66), we had 2 events that week.  The EPS loses it day 10 and GEFS loses it day 12, although with models jumping around so much...CMC-ENS keeps it end to end and would be a snowy ice box.  

It typically snows in Jan with nino's, especially for western NC.

Jan - March 1983 GSP had 16.8" of snow

Jan - March 1966 GSP had 12.5" of snow

Jan - March 1998 GSP had trace of snow

In 1983 I was a senior in high school.  We had a 3.5" snow in January and 3.5" snowfall in February.  We narrowly missed a big storm on Valentine's day that went south.  Then we had the big dog 9.3" snow in March.  The March storm is what made that season so memorable.  Of course, it was gone 2 days later. 

The other thing that I remember and the records confirm is that we had no major arctic outbreaks in SC during Jan - Mar of 83.  It never torched but never got bitterly cold either.  If the latest European is correct, we will have true arctic cold in SC this year.  That would be a change.

Para-EPS shows potential on the 13th, 15th and the 17th, fairly active.  The mean snowfall on SV is 1-2" for RDU to GSO, GSO to foothills it's 2-4" and foothills to mtns it's 4-8".  Para-Op has been the highest scoring model as of late, beating out the old EuroOp and GFS.

Pretty nice grouping of lows on the 00z EPS mean for the Jan 17th storm that has been showing up on a lot of GFS runs as of late. We've already seen some fantasy snowfall outputs on OP's and individual members, I'd expect more fantasy snowfall maps with this kind of look to show up today and/or toorrow and get the board going again. This will probably be our first decent system to track as long as there's no changes in the 11th-13th period (which there could be as we get a few days closer, the models don't have that system nailed yet either)...As pack alluded to above, going to be a wild and active month. 

IJBRsnl.png

n7I55HH.png

I'm looking at the 12Z GFS and am not impressed with the cold for central NC next week.  Much of the true arctic air stays up near the Ohio Valley.  

The cold looks comparable or "less" than the current cold air.

The 850 line barely gets south of NC and hovers around Raleigh at the end of the 7 day period.

I'm looking at the 12Z GFS and am not impressed with the cold for central NC next week.  Much of the true arctic air stays up near the Ohio Valley.  

The cold looks comparable or "less" than the current cold air.

The 850 line barely gets south of NC and hovers around Raleigh at the end of the 7 day period.

we only have like 2 days with highs out of the 40s? plenty cold to me. 

I agree. I'm only out to hour 210 but that is a cold pattern.

Yeah, winter is here to stay for a while on the GFS.  Snow?  Don't see any yet on the Op, but there's plenty of cold.  The PV sits in SE Canada with blocking over the top and a big ridge out west...that's what I'm seeing through 198.

Yeah, winter is here to stay for a while on the GFS.  Snow?  Don't see any yet on the Op, but there's plenty of cold.  The PV sits in SE Canada with blocking over the top and a big ridge out west...that's what I'm seeing through 198.

yea still no fantasy storms, but that is ok.  cold is prevalent and the storms will come.  can't ask for much more than sustained cold throughout.

yea still no fantasy storms, but that is ok.  cold is prevalent and the storms will come.  can't ask for much more than sustained cold throughout.

You would think so with how wet we have been since fall and being in a Nino. I hope we actually start seeing some storms on the models soon, though. Could be our luck and it just stays cold and dry now.

I know I keep harping on clippers, but if we do get into an extended cold/dry period there may be multiple chances for small events. They will usually not be modeled until a few days out. An example could be the event Pack showed yesterday in Banter that produced 2-3 inches over a specific area.

Maybe a couple of days but there is nothing pointing to an extended dry period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived