• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

I don't know why it would give anyone pause actually.  It happened multiple times the last two years where the GFS and ensembles kept trying to warm things up in the extended.

I am not sure why anyone even looks at the GFS long range anymore and it will likely perform even more poorly with the upcoming split-flow.  When the EPS and GGEM agree with the GFS then go ahead and use it, but when it's on an island I would proceed with an abundance of caution.

Bingo. We need the pattern to get here first. GFS in the LR is making a lot of guesses. It can go either way but given the past couple of years and how the models look going into next week this is a big change and it won't just go away after a few days. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This entire winter season I think I have looked at the long range (200+) maybe twice. It is covered enough in here without even having to pull it up. 

But agree. Pattern must be in place first. This is regardless on what system(s) is showing in the mid-long range. 

Under 5 days or 120 hours and it should be game on.

Bingo. We need the pattern to get here first. GFS in the LR is making a lot of guesses. It can go either way but given the past couple of years and how the models look going into next week this is a big change and it won't just go away after a few days. 

The main thing I don't understand with these models is you have a crashing SOI which should get the stj going again with plenty of moisture. Normally that happens 1.5 to 2 weeks after the crash. I.e. December mid month crash and rains coming around Christmas. Seems like the poking of the Nino will gives us more chances coming up.

The good news is the Euro brings in true arctic air. The bad news is everything will be suppressed...which could also be good news? 

For you...yes.  For me not so much...but l am at the point that it would be fun to track even YOUR snow at this point.  the best part of this game we play is the tracking and we haven't tracked anything but heat

The good news is the Euro brings in true arctic air. The bad news is everything will be suppressed...which could also be good news? 

As we've said bring the cold and then we'll worry about moisture. (Like I said earlier) It's not out of the question for us to get a clipper with a suppressed pattern. Models never pick up on these until a few days out. **They normally do not produce much but can surprise us sometimes.  

Yeah, I hear you.  I just can't worry too much about 360+ when we have cold weather right on the doorstep.  Maybe we relax a bit and come back strong.  Or maybe we don't relax much at all.  Lots of flip-flopping in the LR will continue.

JB is all in on east coast storm next week, day 9-10. Admittedly he is 0-2 this winter so...

JB is all in on east coast storm next week, day 9-10. Admittedly he is 0-2 this winter so...

With the pattern coming up it's going to be difficult to be wrong. Worst case he claims the storm came just a few days later than he thought. Someone is going to get a good snow out of this over the next two weeks. The question will be who. 

With the pattern coming up it's going to be difficult to be wrong. Worst case he claims the storm came just a few days later than he thought. Someone is going to get a good snow out of this over the next two weeks. The question will be who. [/quote

Well that's simple.....Boston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro day 11, super blocking setting up, but pac is a little messy, although I am hoping that the models are just struggling with the super STJ....in other words I don't like what I see so I belittle the models handling of things LOL  :bag:

We get cold, then some Greenland ridging, then the STJ wave approaches from the desert southwest, with a gulf low.  Good signal there.  Verbatim it's too warm, but it's a good setup that has some good features...for example, surface pressures are higher over the Great Lakes than they are over Maine.

We get cold, then some Greenland ridging, then the STJ wave approaches from the desert southwest, with a gulf low.  Good signal there.  Verbatim it's too warm, but it's a good setup that has some good features...for example, surface pressures are higher over the Great Lakes than they are over Maine.

This is moving to a textbook blocky strong nino...should be very interesting to see how snow chances shake out down the road.  EPO completely flips by day 8 and we are with -AO/-NAO, SE trough.   These are the 7 "snowy" strong nino's versus latest EPS.

Euro day 11, super blocking setting up, but pac is a little messy, although I am hoping that the models are just struggling with the super STJ....in other words I don't like what I see so I belittle the models handling of things LOL  :bag:

I don't see anything terribly alarming with the graphic you posted.  In fact, looks great. Super -AO, -NAO, undercutting jet, ridging west coast and a trough coming out of the southwest and no where to go but east with nice confluence.......

I don't see anything terribly alarming with the graphic you posted.  In fact, looks great. Super -AO, -NAO, undercutting jet, ridging west coast and a trough coming out of the southwest and no where to go but east with nice confluence.......

Didn't say it was bad, just it was a mess as pattern is changing still, this intense cold shot coming day 6 lasts for 3 or 4 days and then we see serious moderation and a typical strong nino pattern set in.

Didn't say it was bad, just it was a mess as pattern is changing still, this intense cold shot coming day 6 lasts for 3 or 4 days and then we see serious moderation and a typical strong nino pattern set in.

How can you see the moderation? The cold and great looking pattern are still 11-15 days away!?

You using the accuweather 30 day forecast now ?

Oh, i guess i took you not liking what you saw differently than you meant it.  My bad.  I am not sure I buy one 3 to 4 day cold shot at this point, but with a powerful pac jet it's certainly a possibility!

How can you see the moderation? The cold and great looking pattern are still 11-15 days away!?

You using the accuweather 30 day forecast now ?

Because we lose the -EPO and now have to rely on -AO/-NAO to deliver cold, with pac low in GOAK it's not going to be a super cold pattern.  Just the run to run changes are amazing...look at the difference between 12z today and 12z yesterday for days 9-14...moderation.  This doesn't bother me at all, this is what I expected to happen, not a super cold winter.

Because we lose the -EPO and now have to rely on -AO/-NAO to deliver cold, with pac low in GOAK it's not going to be a super cold pattern. Just the run to run changes are amazing...look at the difference between 12z today and 12z yesterday for days 9-14...moderation. This doesn't bother me at all, this is what I expected to happen, not a super cold winter.

Luckily , we haven't gotten the super cold shot that elusively stays 10-15 days away, so maybe the warm up that's 15 days away , won't happen, and we will get the snow that we can't get out of this pattern, then all will be right in the world!!?

Archived