• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

Something I did find interesting is at the end of the 6z, there's a low in Florida with a 1040 HP above the great lakes, granted it's quite a bit above it but could be something to keep an eye on.

Wouldn't pay much attention to it, the 384 hour GFS is notorious for doing things like this. The Euro OP is much better in the mid-range and shows some very close scenarios both under 200 hours.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't pay much attention to it, the 384 hour GFS is notorious for doing things like this. The Euro OP is much better in the mid-range and shows some very close scenarios both under 200 hours.

I know, just trying to be optimistic about something lol. Looks like after the rain at the end of this week and the weekend, looks like we might be in a dry spell a little bit. so cold and dry it is.

The problem I'm seeing on all the operationals is whenever there is a gulf storm shown, there is always a low placed up in the great lakes which is crushing our fantasy snow dreams and stopping the cold air flow. I don't know what's causing it exactly (active northern stream? close vortex proximity?) but until we switch out these suckers for high pressures I think all we do is rain. Not sure what to look for to make that better, but we can't say the pattern is great until we see H's where there are currently L's IMO.

3z89TkU.png

I don't think it's fair to call the pattern 'great', but it's better than normal.

Best way to have high pressure in the lakes is with ridging in southwest Canada combined with a blocked up North Atlantic

As others have said, I do believe any legitimate shot we have is probably going to pop up in earnest within 100 hours or less.  

These systems with this type of setup are very hard for the models to pick up on.  

Experience (over 30 years) tells me that the specifics in central NC are never nailed down until 12 hours or less.  
January 2000 is a great example of that...

The storm last year is another example....southern Wake barely got a dusting when models were showing upwards of 6 inches even within 24 hours.

This storm is still a cold rain for most of central NC. If we are already borderline with temps now then I'm not expecting anything frozen out of it by the time next week rolls around due to the dreaded NW trend that usually occurs.

don't take the first model run that shows a possible hit verbatim 6 days out...that is silly.  it simply shows that we have a signal for a storm and we have plenty more model runs to watch.  temps will ALWAYS be an issue in central nc, no matter what the models show.  see last feb.

don't take the first model run that shows a possible hit verbatim 6 days out...that is silly.  it simply shows that we have a signal for a storm and we have plenty more model runs to watch.  temps will ALWAYS be an issue in central nc, no matter what the models show.  see last feb.

I agree that this was a great run. Even looking at the storm verbatim it would be very close for many in central NC down towards the up state of SC.

Archived