• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5

I will put it simply for everyone to hear so there is no confusion.  This is a hypothetical storm, a situation in which the perfect circumstances unleash a monster of fury along the SNE coastline up into Maine.  This storm is so ferocious it unleashes feet of snow all over New England, 12" from Burlington, VT to Nantucket, MA.  Hurricane Force Sustained Winds over Nantucket and Chatham with hurricane force gusts across eastern MA and RI east of Worcester with gust up to 50mph west of Worcester.  Blizzard warnings from Chatham, MA to Springfield, MA.  Snowfall amounts of 30-40" from Springfield to Hartford points east with up to 50" amounts from Boston, MA to Providence, RI points south and east.  No rain/snow lines all east of the islands.  A monster 955mb low over the 40/70 benchmark.  Winds sustained at 75-85mph over ACK and CHH.  Gusts to 100mph.  Waves over 40' along the coastline.  Major Coastal flooding event over three tide cycles beating the 78 Blizzard standards.  Snowfall amounts rival the great Superstorm of 1993.  A super intense pressure fall/rise couplet along the surface low track into the benchmark and then east of Chatham where the most intense comma head snows ever to be recorded occur from Taunton to Chatham, MA.  Snowfall rates on average of 2-4"/hour.  Peak snowfall rates of 6-8"/hour and amazingly intense thundersnows as deformation bands continue to pile into SNE one after the other, one more intense then the one before it.  36-48 hours of durational snowfall.

Please in the comment sections respond with your intense snowstorm you want to see this winter season, as the next set of circumstances could lead to explosive cyclogenesis along the arctic boundary along the Gulf Stream.  I tell you this, this winter we will see our most explosive barometric pressure over ACK.  Sometime in January or February.

Not SNE, but I'd opt for the central Maine blizzard in late Dec, 1962, only centered about 75 miles SW of where it actually tracked but including the loop done in the GOM.  I don't know the central pressure of that event, but that storm dumped 30-45" from BGR to MLT and up to Ripogenus Dam, with winds gusting 60+.  Temps during the storm cycled from subzero to low 30s and back again - during the heaviest snowfall.  One note from the Bangor Daily News about the storm (other than its not being published on 12/31, the only time in its 190-yr history it was unable to do so):  A city plow truck got stuck on outer Hammond Street, near the airport.  Their big grader was sent to the rescue and promptly got stuck as well.  There was a city-owned Cat D-7 at hand; it went and also got stuck.  Drifts to 16' were reported, and anecdotally a part of Route 15 south of Dover-Foxcroft was drifted beyond the capabilities of any snow-clearing machinery, and had to be dynamited.

Points to the SW had less snow (hence my call for the dream storm's location) but all the wind and cold.  Augusta's temps/precip for Dec. 29-31 are illustrative:

12/29/62...34......4...0.24...1.0

12/30/62...34...-14...0.98...7.0

12/31/62...12...-15...0.05...1.0

Farther south the backside NW gales caused considerable damage in the greater NYC area, and also set NYC's record for December windspeed.  At my NNJ home, gusts probably approached 70 - only the 1950 Apps gale is a possible rival for greatest windspeed I've experienced.  Two-foot diameter bare-limbed oaks were uprooted, plate glass windows blown in, and the modest 2" of wet snow which fell late on 12/29 was drifted 6 feet deep in places.  My temps on 12/31 were 5/-8, and that max was set in the evening, though only 1° above the aft high.  On 12/30 the Giants and Packers played for the NFL title at Yankee Stadium.  Temps there were in the teens, 30° less cold than the Dallas-Packers Ice Bowl at Lambeau several years later, but folks who endured both said the conditions were comparable.

Not SNE, but I'd opt for the central Maine blizzard in late Dec, 1962, only centered about 75 miles SW of where it actually tracked but including the loop done in the GOM. I don't know the central pressure of that event, but that storm dumped 30-45" from BGR to MLT and up to Ripogenus Dam, with winds gusting 60+. Temps during the storm cycled from subzero to low 30s and back again - during the heaviest snowfall. One note from the Bangor Daily News about the storm (other than its not being published on 12/31, the only time in its 190-yr history it was unable to do so): A city plow truck got stuck on outer Hammond Street, near the airport. Their big grader was sent to the rescue and promptly got stuck as well. There was a city-owned Cat D-7 at hand; it went and also got stuck. Drifts to 16' were reported, and anecdotally a part of Route 15 south of Dover-Foxcroft was drifted beyond the capabilities of any snow-clearing machinery, and had to be dynamited.

Points to the SW had less snow (hence my call for the dream storm's location) but all the wind and cold. Augusta's temps/precip for Dec. 29-31 are illustrative:

12/29/62...34......4...0.24...1.0

12/30/62...34...-14...0.98...7.0

12/31/62...12...-15...0.05...1.0

Farther south the backside NW gales caused considerable damage in the greater NYC area, and also set NYC's record for December windspeed. At my NNJ home, gusts probably approached 70 - only the 1950 Apps gale is a possible rival for greatest windspeed I've experienced. Two-foot diameter bare-limbed oaks were uprooted, plate glass windows blown in, and the modest 2" of wet snow which fell late on 12/29 was drifted 6 feet deep in places. My temps on 12/31 were 5/-8, and that max was set in the evening, though only 1° above the aft high. On 12/30 the Giants and Packers played for the NFL title at Yankee Stadium. Temps there were in the teens, 30° less cold than the Dallas-Packers Ice Bowl at Lambeau several years later, but folks who endured both said the conditions were comparable.

Thanks for this! I had never heard of this beast, but it sounds amazing.

Thanks for this! I had never heard of this beast, but it sounds amazing.

Not on the NESIS list because it brought little snow to population centers - despite all the wind, NYC had none.  Boston 1.2 (on the 31st, a day with temps 9/-4; main precip there was on 12/29) and BDL 2.5". 

Entering "Bangor snowstorm 1962" into one's favorite search engine might be fun.  Or perhaps "Bangor Daily News Jan. 1, 1963" (when they were able to publish again.)

Archived