• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December Banter

mackerel_sky

"we" haven't, some have but not all. My area finished average in snowfall the last two years. I don't see any reason to be down on this year either.

Look at my avatar, that's RDU's 30 year snowfall average....that's beyond ridiculous.  JB's touting this period we are entering is like the late 50's which was the last time RDU's 30 year snowfall average was this low and we took off from there for the next 30 years.   Makes sense, AMO flip, more -NAO winters, blah blah, so we will see.  I do think the western/elevations do well this year but the 5" I am thinking/hoping for RDU may be a little high this winter.  So I was never up for my area to begin with but my thinking is still the same as it was back in November.  A meh 2-3" winter storm for central NC and maybe another 1-2" grass topper in a 2 week period sometime in early/mid Feb.  I was much more bullish last winter and that was an OK winter for us.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gfs looks cold for next week.  highs in the 30s and 40s will feel frigid after this month.

It does, but then the head fake ensues.  Nice coastal day 8-9 though, first of many this winter.

Edit:  Curious if cold air could hang around a little longer and we could sneak in a ice event.

It does, but then the head fake ensues.  Nice coastal day 8-9 though, first of many this winter.

Edit:  Curious if cold air could hang around a little longer and we could sneak in a ice event.

probably another 2 weeks before we even get our first fantasy storm to track, i think that is what the board needs.  model watching with no 280hr+ storm will drive you nuts.

probably another 2 weeks before we even get our first fantasy storm to track, i think that is what the board needs.  model watching with no 280hr+ storm will drive you nuts.

Strat watching is interesting.  Today is the first day I really looked at a surface map in a while, CMC agrees on a little overrunning potential the 9/10th.  #ice?

Look at my avatar, that's RDU's 30 year snowfall average....that's beyond ridiculous.  JB's touting this period we are entering is like the late 50's which was the last time RDU's 30 year snowfall average was this low and we took off from there for the next 30 years.   Makes sense, AMO flip, more -NAO winters, blah blah, so we will see.  I do think the western/elevations do well this year but the 5" I am thinking/hoping for RDU may be a little high this winter.  So I was never up for my area to begin with but my thinking is still the same as it was back in November.  A meh 2-3" winter storm for central NC and maybe another 1-2" grass topper in a 2 week period sometime in early/mid Feb.  I was much more bullish last winter and that was an OK winter for us.

What has me hanging on is a nice stat Grit threw out in the beginning of December....our best snow year averages come in strong Ninos, CLT anyway.  That's got to mean something.  Hopefully end of January into Feb we get a nice cold/wet pattern and that proves true again.  That plus the AO tanking is a great sign.  Just need the smaller intangibles to cooperate as well.  

This board has multiple personality disorder. Some of the same posters who were jumping for joy yesterday are in meltdown mode today.

The pattern will eventually flip. Hopefully, it doesn't take until the last half of Fab Feb to get a rockin' wintry pattern like last year, but it'll happen eventually. We've had rockin' Fab Febs and Marvelous Marches in recent winters, so maybe we're due for more of the same this year, though it would be nice if January finally produced again.

Evidently it's always my fault :P

You would think after watching and waiting last year for things that were supposed to happen, that never did, some would learn :(

The last half of February last year had a pretty awesome pattern, IMO. One of the more wintry patterns you'll see, IMO. A major cold outbreak with single digit temps and two major winter storms in a 10-day period occurred in portions of the SE (4 snowfalls here with 3 accumulating). IMBY, we went from nil on February 15th to above average in snowfall by the 26th.

Global atmospheric indices aren't derived from numerical modeling. They're based in magic.

I   :wub: magic

The last half of February last year had a pretty awesome pattern, IMO. One of the more wintry patterns you'll see, IMO. A major cold outbreak with single digit temps and two major winter storms in a 10-day period occurred in portions of the SE (4 snowfalls here with 3 accumulating). IMBY, we went from nil on February 15th to above average in snowfall by the 26th.

I got to see 8 flakes   :(    

Yeah that may have been the most active 2-week period here since the second half of Jan 2000. A decent sleet event, a brief but heavy summertime-like snow event, a surprise 1-2" daytime snow event, and a 3-5" event with heavy snow.

I'm getting stationed in Hickam AFB. Our AOR includes the entire Pacific ocean, Japan, Northern Australia, and Alaska. They told us at times that the TAF for Hawaii can get pretty boring.:lol:

Yeah...but when there is wx...they better be right! Especially for tropical cyclones and winter stroms. They have a lot of variability across their AOR.

Yeah...but when there is wx...they better be right! Especially for tropical cyclones and winter stroms. They have a lot of variability across their AOR.

Yeah. They said they had one hell of time with FCST ing this year with all the typhoons and Hurricanes in the Pacific and many close calls with Hawaii.

Yeah. They said they had one hell of time with FCST ing this year with all the typhoons and Hurricanes in the Pacific and many close calls with Hawaii.

Have fun there. Hear folks like it a lot. I came so close to transferring my reserve duty to Hickam ABS a few weeks ago.

Wow the GFS is BADLY under forecasting rainfall over parts of GA, SC, and NC right now. If it had been right, some of us would only have .25 at most. Reality is 1-2 inches widespread, with up to 3-4 in some areas. Yesterday's 18z GFS was even drier for today. I see our NWS did not bite and kept our flood watches going and very rightfully so.

Now if we can just get him to post in the pattern change, snow weenie thread and teach us a thing or 2  :)

Congrats metatlicwx and good luck!

I teach periodically from the sidelines. :)

I'm not getting down in the dirt with model chasers and wishcasters. Lol

Some here would be pessimistic about snow, even if it was falling outside. Others buy snow shovels based off the 7 day GFS. Everyone just needs to relax, we are exiting the pattern of death and are entering the pattern of unknown.. Chill.

Ready for our teams to go at it today? Should be fun in the buckets falling from the sky. Go Pack.  :lmao:

Archived