Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter of 2015-16 Picture Thread

michsnowfreak

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to have the right conditions for good flocking. Temperature near freezing and lighter winds are key. You may go a few winters without seeing a snowfall like that. 

When the snow gets excessively heavy, you start getting damage. Here was some trees that were split up.

post-7389-0-51785800-1448307488_thumb.jp

It was interesting, all the Bradford Pear trees; which all had leaves, looked unharmed. I think the leaves don't accumulate snow very well.

Another one during the storm when the LEhS was pushing inland.

post-7389-0-48948800-1448307648_thumb.jp

Thanks everyone for your shots as well.

Glad to share, as I realize we were as lucky as anyone to be under that band. It really was the perfect event - leadup all week, first flakes as I left the office for the weekend and then both Saturday and Sunday to enjoy it. Kept the snowmobiles in but hopefully we get another shot before spring moves in. :)

Can't believe how fast it bit the dust yesterday, particularly overnight here before any rain sets in. There are still some small pockets on the rooftops, versus almost nothing outside of piles on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Bo had a good idea, might as well turn this into the winter pics thread for 2015-16. So once winter decides to give us more snowy scenes as she did in November, post them here!

For those who would like to walk down memory lane....

2014-15 pic thread here

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44959-winter-of-2014-15-picture-thread/

2013-14

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42817-remember-the-winter-of-2013-14-picture-thread/

Taking advantage of the warm weather while it's here!

Yesterday I was able to 4 wheel up to the north part of the Silver Lake Basin (about 10 miles)in an area that normally isn't accessible by now due to snow and lack of any roads beyond 2 track status..

Saw snow depths in the woods on the north east side of the Basin of 6-8" and as I made our way through the trails north of red rd, there was a general 3-5" on the ground, just like here at the house. Was a fun day!

Despite warm weather, the snow is hanging on in the woods.

snow trail #14 south of Big Bay near my house

1825' north side of the silver lake basin

Nice Pics Bo, I am surprised areas up there still ahve 6+ inchyes on the ground with the temps and sun lately.

I have a few theories.... the snow that fell was 7-8:1 ratio and it has thawed and refrozen so many times, it almost has an icy late Spring feel to it. Plus the thick woods and snow reflect a lot of the sun. Plus it's only above freezing for 4-5 hours a day lately... and the elevation is a bit higher where the deeper snow was.

Just took this off my deck.... was 18 this morning and the snow is frozen solid again so wont melt much today either.

I have a few theories.... the snow that fell was 7-8:1 ratio and it has thawed and refrozen so many times, it almost has an icy late Spring feel to it. Plus the thick woods and snow reflect a lot of the sun. Plus it's only above freezing for 4-5 hours a day lately... and the elevation is a bit higher where the deeper snow was.

Just took this off my deck.... was 18 this morning and the snow is frozen solid again so wont melt much today either.

attachicon.gifIMG_3322.JPG

True, we do have daylight on our side this time of year. I haven't had more than a couple inches on the ground at any given point which is remrkable for this time of year. I am pretty anxious to get some pics of my new property covered with about 3' of powder but don't think its going to happen this winter but still have some hope especially at the end of the month and early Jan. My house right now looks more like early spring then early winter.  Grass has even starting turning a little green again. 

Taking advantage of the warm weather while it's here!

Yesterday I was able to 4 wheel up to the north part of the Silver Lake Basin (about 10 miles)in an area that normally isn't accessible by now due to snow and lack of any roads beyond 2 track status..

Saw snow depths in the woods on the north east side of the Basin of 6-8" and as I made our way through the trails north of red rd, there was a general 3-5" on the ground, just like here at the house. Was a fun day!

Despite warm weather, the snow is hanging on in the woods.

attachicon.gifIMG_3282.JPG

snow trail #14 south of Big Bay near my house

attachicon.gifIMG_3294.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3276.JPG

1825' north side of the silver lake basin

attachicon.gifIMG_3267.JPG

That last pic is very cool Bo! We have a bunch of us doing a side x side/ATV/dirt bike trip out your way in May, might have to beg you to take us on a tour!

True, we do have daylight on our side this time of year. I haven't had more than a couple inches on the ground at any given point which is remrkable for this time of year. I am pretty anxious to get some pics of my new property covered with about 3' of powder but don't think its going to happen this winter but still have some hope especially at the end of the month and early Jan. My house right now looks more like early spring then early winter.  Grass has even starting turning a little green again. 

Are you north or south of C38/Mancelona Rd Josh? I always thought anywhere on or around Hayes Tower Rd from Old Alba Rd down to C38 was just about as good as it gets for snowfall in the lower. High elevation and great lake effect snow area.

Are you north or south of C38/Mancelona Rd Josh? I always thought anywhere on or around Hayes Tower Rd from Old Alba Rd down to C38 was just about as good as it gets for snowfall in the lower. High elevation and great lake effect snow area.

I am West of Hayes Tower Rd, my house is off c38/Mt Federic Rd on Tittabawasse pretty close to the golf course. I am in Wilderness Valley associaition.

That last pic is very cool Bo! We have a bunch of us doing a side x side/ATV/dirt bike trip out your way in May, might have to beg you to take us on a tour!

LOTS of riding areas here in the Huron's. I can go riding 8-10 hours and never see another person or house. A note of caution depending on your time in May, because a lot of woods and 2 tracks stay snow covered well into May usually. Maybe that won't be the case this year, but hard to say. And I hope you like mud. The valley trails after the thaw can be pretty bad especially with the big rocks hidden.... pretty rugged

But yeah.... :P

Archived