• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter of 2014-15 Picture thread

michsnowfreak

It was suggested in the "remembering the winter of 2013-14 picture thread" that a pic thread for 2014-15 be started. We have some great photographers in here, so it will be nice to have a pic timeline to look back on as the winter progresses, even though it likely wont be as harsh as last year. Buffaloweather already probably has some phenomenal shots to add to this thread, and as soon as cyclone gets a snow he no doubt will have some great pics.

Here are a few of mine so far

Nov 16, 2014 - preparing for winter

4141-800.jpg

Nov 17, 2014 - The late-dropping pear trees make a nice contrast to November snow

4145-800.jpg

Nov 18, 2014 - below zero wind chills at sunset

4147-800.jpg

Nov 19, 2014 - 2.1" of powdery snow fell

4149-800.jpg

Nov 20, 2014 - silence early in the morning

4155-800.jpg

Nov 21, 2014 - rare November sun (albeit frigid)

4160-800.jpg

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice ones Geos. 

Here's a stragler from Monday.  This looked pretty sweet in person, but the pic doesn't seem to capture how impressive it really was.  Just not enough contrast between the snow caked branches and the overcast sky behind it.  If there was a deep blue sky behind this tree this would have looked incredible.

EDIT:  It's too bad this site uses such narrow viewing panes.  The 6" margins on either side of that is a complete waste of space.  Kind of frustrating as all my pics get shrunk down and look like crap compared to their actual size. 

dzw0n4.jpg

Nice ones Geos. 

Here's a stragler from Monday.  This looked pretty sweet in person, but the pic doesn't seem to capture how impressive it really was.  Just not enough contrast between the snow caked branches and the overcast sky behind it.  If there was a deep blue sky behind this tree this would have looked incredible.

EDIT:  It's too bad this site uses such narrow viewing panes.  The 6" margins on either side of that is a complete waste of space.  Kind of frustrating as all my pics get shrunk down and look like crap compared to their actual size. 

dzw0n4.jpg

I actually know exactly what you mean....

The scene on November 19th of steel gray sky and bright white snow made for such a beautiful contrast in person, but the pic didnt quite capture it fully

4148-800.jpg

Sorry I am late MSF. Here is a few of my favorites from the LES event last week. There is quite pages of amazing photos/videos in the thread over on the upstate section dedicated to this event if you want to see more. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44743-historic-lake-effect-snowstorm/

10420227_10154853079790387_5529772580874

B2udMnHIUAA-QNe.jpg

10710876_10152435163161892_8092299080586

B2vGsCZCcAAPeW8.jpg

10671345_737405419642660_577059221879063

6272_10152541879586309_45404459496115311

10750010_10152848831160505_1180928928166

That is an awesome group of photos from the Buffalo area. I am so glad there is a photo taken from a city street showing the snow band a mile away. I was just trying to picture what it would be like if you lived in a house that was right across the street from the edge of the band. It would be incredible to go from not very much snow (as seen in the picture) to all of a sudden many feet of snow.

Do you have two pictures comparing what you had from the event and how much you have left now?

That is an awesome group of photos from the Buffalo area. I am so glad there is a photo taken from a city street showing the snow band a mile away. I was just trying to picture what it would be like if you lived in a house that was right across the street from the edge of the band. It would be incredible to go from not very much snow (as seen in the picture) to all of a sudden many feet of snow.

Do you have two pictures comparing what you had from the event and how much you have left now?

This is me cleaning up the driveway after Round 2. I think I have the longest driveway in town and the snowblower broke. It took me about 50 hours to get this far... And I workout 5 days a week for the last few years. I made it just wide enough to fit my car through. For pictures now, it looks just like this except a 90% reduction in size. Current snowdepth is 8 inches.

eKsmBcP.jpg

This one's actually from a few weeks ago.  No snow on the ground or anything, but kind of a winter pic.  Pass by this twisted up Cottonwood tree all the time on the way to work and always thought it looked very creepy.  Kind of reminds me of the tree from the movie Sleepy Hollow.  Coyotes were yipping up a storm a half mile or so to the west at the time I was out there. 

eqwbv7.jpg

This one's actually from a few weeks ago. No snow on the ground or anything, but kind of a winter pic. Pass by this twisted up Cottonwood tree all the time on the way to work and always thought it looked very creepy. Kind of reminds me of the tree from the movie Sleepy Hollow. Coyotes were yipping up a storm a half mile or so to the west at the time I was out there.

eqwbv7.jpg

Love it. What camera was this shot on?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived