joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter of 2014-15 Picture thread

michsnowfreak

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few photographs that I have shot over the past few days. Have had a decent amount of snow here since last week. I'm having troubles uploading them directly to the forum so I've opted to use my Flickr site instead. Enjoy!

January 9th Sunset and some weird snow formations.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilwxchaser/16267223265/in/photostream/

Sunset tonight with a fresh 2.5" of snowfall that fell last night. Measured a snow depth of around 7 inches this morning here in Western IL.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilwxchaser/15644809094/in/photostream/

Some sun dogs on Friday morning. Had a nice circuzenithal arc way up there too. Pretty cool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilwxchaser/16079856430/in/photostream/

Your nighttime pics are amazing!! what kind of camera / settings are you using for those?!

Thanks man.  I use a Nikon D5300 with a Sigma 2.8 17-50mm primarily.  

This night I hovered around 20sec at full 2.8, with an ISO of 200.  There was plenty of moonlight with the full moon, which really helped to give me some extra glow.  

Few photographs that I have shot over the past few days. Have had a decent amount of snow here since last week. I'm having troubles uploading them directly to the forum so I've opted to use my Flickr site instead. Enjoy!

Sunset tonight with a fresh 2.5" of snowfall that fell last night. Measured a snow depth of around 7 inches this morning here in Western IL.

Some sun dogs on Friday morning. Had a nice circuzenithal arc way up there too. Pretty cool.

Very nice!  

I wish I would have had my camera with me one morning during the first polar vortex last winter here, there were INSANE sun dogs, that appeared to be within 200yards of me looking like crazy rainbows almost, craziest thing i ever saw!

I wish I would have had my camera with me one morning during the first polar vortex last winter here, there were INSANE sun dogs, that appeared to be within 200yards of me looking like crazy rainbows almost, craziest thing i ever saw!

Yeah we had a pretty good display of them here last year as well (Jan 6th I think). We also had a morning last year that featured some crazy ice fog. Temperatures at the time were sub -20 at the time. I was bummed I didn't have my camera for that, I managed to get some low quality cell pics though that turned out decent. That reminded me I shouldn't leave my camera behind too often.

all great pictures everybody!  Tremendous job and thanks for sharing!!!

i saw timmer posted one of these videos but thought i would link them here....

I think they are from last year....but still pretty sweet...drones can make anything look cool, but there was still a ton of time shooting and editing that went into the productions...

via Soaring Badger Productions....enjoy!

Your pics are top notch cyclone.  Seriously, you could be a professional photographer.

Thanks man.  It's become a pretty fun hobby.  Originally bought this camera cause I was sick of all the crappy vid screen grabs I was settling for during chasing.  Decided to let the GoPro get all the video from now on, and concentrate more on stills.  Didn't anticipate getting into other types of photography.  :D

all great pictures everybody!  Tremendous job and thanks for sharing!!!

i saw timmer posted one of these videos but thought i would link them here....

I think they are from last year....but still pretty sweet...drones can make anything look cool, but there was still a ton of time shooting and editing that went into the productions...

via Soaring Badger Productions....enjoy!

Those were very cool.  Whoever piloted those did a hell of a good job.  

Awesome pics of the UP. I feel like Im there by looking at the pics and remembering my own hikes up there.

What a day to snag a few pics of the winter landscape here today. From the cobalt blue sky to the twilight hues before sunset, the clear, bitterly cold day was mid-winter for sure.

The first two pics were just randoms I snapped with cell while out and about, the last 5 were when I went for a walk in the park. The setting sun on a frigid day made for nice scenes.

4193-800.jpg

4194-800.jpg

4195-800.jpg

4196-800.jpg

4197-800.jpg

4198-800.jpg

4199-800.jpg

Lovely pics as always Josh, Cyclone, Bo. Any tips on how to maximize the beauty of your pics? Basically I just go out and start pressing the capture button without putting much thought into it specific camera settings or vantage points. Expert advice would be appreciated.

Im sure Cyclone can give better advice than I can. Hold the camera still (esp at night, a tripod is best), use the flash only if needed. If the pic doesnt come out as it looked in real life, you can always adjust the brightness or contrast on your computer with any simple photoshop. I try to do that to make the pic look like it looked to my naked eye, or at least as close to it. If you go during unusually gray weather (steel sky + white snow contrast), or cobalt blue sky, or an hour before sunset with the cold winter sun starting to set and shine neat light on everything, nature does most of the work for you ;)

Lovely pics as always Josh, Cyclone, Bo. Any tips on how to maximize the beauty of your pics? Basically I just go out and start pressing the capture button without putting much thought into it specific camera settings or vantage points. Expert advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.  I wish I had good advice but I am as amateur as you can possibly be.  My eye catches something that I think is beautiful and worth capturing and I just try to shoot it at the best angle.  I'm not very good with using the sun so I try to always have it at my back and capture the suns natural work. Yesterdays pic looking off that ridge right into the sun was disappointing to me the way it came out.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but being live in person tells the whole story.  I guess that's what I try to do with a picture, tell a story.  But point and click works too snowstormc!

Thank you.  I wish I had good advice but I am as amateur as you can possibly be.  My eye catches something that I think is beautiful and worth capturing and I just try to shoot it at the best angle.  I'm not very good with using the sun so I try to always have it at my back and capture the suns natural work. Yesterdays pic looking off that ridge right into the sun was disappointing to me the way it came out.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but being live in person tells the whole story.  I guess that's what I try to do with a picture, tell a story.  But point and click works too snowstormc!

I think you did a good job with that pic. It's amazing how it looks frigid and strangely warming because of that muted sunshiney look as well.

Thanks to yourself and Josh for the advice.

Agree with what Bo and Josh mentioned.  When shooting into the bright sun I sometimes just try to find something to block the sun directly, like a tree or something so the foreground doesn't get blown out.  The great thing about the modern age with digital photography is you can shoot a crapload of pics and pic out your favorite vantage point.  Sometimes you frame something up better/more interesting in a pic you sort of just shot for the heck of it as an extra.  You never know for sure how good it actually looks until you load them onto the PC.

Archived