• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter of 2014-15 Picture thread

michsnowfreak

Erie County has a million people in it. Colden/Boston Hills 30 minutes southeast of Buffalo average 200"+ per year. 90 mins with no traffic to Toronto. Perrysburg NY 45 minutes south of Buffalo average 250-300"+. But if you want to go all out Redfield/Hooker in the Tug usually average 300"+ per year. Plus you get to experience 4-6"+ inches per hour rates.

Here is the Oct-April Snowfall totals by month

Perrysburg (Erie) last year:

OP Perrysburg                     T 28.0 117.0 75.0 57.5 33.5     311.0

Redfield (Ontario):

C13 Redfield                                     1.3 14.0 146.5 93.0 61.0 33.0 5.0   353.8

True but the area cant compare to where Bo is from a snowpack perspective.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say "much higher"...from what I understand, the small area of the Tug has similar depths to the UP on any given Winter.

The Tug is slightly more prone to thaws, and the depth in the UP is more widespread. Looking at maps currently, the Tug is right along where I am, around 40" in depth right now.

both places get dumped on so it's cool haha! That area, and the NE as a whole is in a winning streak lately however.

As far as I'm concerned tho, the windmill farms ruined the beauty of the Tug... sorry

This has been a really down here for the Tug actually. Very few LES events in comparison to many other years. It's comparing apple to oranges, but I choose the place that can get 142" in 10 days. I'm an insane snowfall rate advocate if there was such a thing. The UP is more about snowfall slowly adding up and not going anywhere due to insane cold. You just can't get 5"+ an hour rates there.

This has been a really down here for the Tug actually. Very few LES events in comparison to many other years. It's comparing apple to oranges, but I choose the place that can get 142" in 10 days. I'm an insane snowfall rate advocate if there was such a thing. The UP is more about snowfall slowly adding up and not going anywhere due to insane cold. You just can't get 5"+ an hour rates there.

yes 5" rates do happen here, but not for a day straight like that area does. I guess to each their own :D

you're right tho, the snow is very persistent here. 8" and counting today, pouring fatties tonight.

my lake effect is better than your lake effect... jesus haha

yes 5" rates do happen here, but not for a day straight like that area does. I guess to each their own :D

you're right tho, the snow is very persistent here. 8" and counting today, pouring fatties tonight.

my lake effect is better than your lake effect... jesus haha

Wasn't saying that. Was responding to snowstormcanuck about a location that fit his post.. There isn't to many places in the US that receive 200" a year within 30 mins of a city with 250k+ people.

don't get your hopes up. the pic's I just osted is on forested land and is 3' deep, stumps everywhere.  lots of public land here, but most is forested.

That's the only downfall to the UP, it's solid forest or stumps.... It's a very conducive soil for tree growth.

Great pictures everyone in the last couple days! 

With it staying light longer at the end of the day, I should have more opportunities to get pics posted of my own.

Buffalo Weather - I've heard of the light pillar phenomenon, but have never witnessed that before.  :thumbsup:

Great pictures everyone in the last couple days! 

With it staying light longer at the end of the day, I should have more opportunities to get pics posted of my own.

Buffalo Weather - I've heard of the light pillar phenomenon, but have never witnessed that before.  :thumbsup:

We had light the light pillar phenomenon happen here a few weeks ago. I suddenly started receiving texts/calls about it one evening. A couple of people were freaking out. Pretty neat looking.

...even you phone pics are great :P love the 3rd one!

Thanks man.  Yeah for a phone it actually does pretty well (Galaxy Note3).

It always amazes me how it can be so clear after a front passes through on the other side of the lake. We won't see a cloudless day like that for months.

I figured there'd be more clouds today following the front, but it's been pretty clear most of the day.  Despite the full sun it's pretty damn cold out there lol.

It's like a different world

My brother inlaw is from Winnipeg, he used to comment on how depressing the clouds were in the winter here. He said 9 out of 10 days in Winnipeg are blue skies, but 20 degrees colder all day and night. He thinks its warm here and teases his family back home when it gets above freezing in January. He's never seen a non-white Christmas back home.

He said frost quakes will scare the sh-t out of you back in Manitoba.

My brother inlaw is from Winnipeg, he used to comment on how depressing the clouds were in the winter here. He said 9 out of 10 days in Winnipeg are blue skies, but 20 degrees colder all day and night. He thinks its warm here and teases his family back home when it gets above freezing in January. He's never seen a non-white Christmas back home.

He said frost quakes will scare the sh-t out of you back in Manitoba.

To uneventful winter-storm wise in Winnipeg. I bet they go weeks without a snowfall of 2"+ with temps well below freezing the whole time. 

Maybe will get one of those Frost quakes this winter but I think those are more common with lesser snow on the ground. 

To uneventful winter-storm wise in Winnipeg. I bet they go weeks without a snowfall of 2"+ with temps well below freezing the whole time. 

Maybe will get one of those Frost quakes this winter but I think those are more common with lesser snow on the ground. 

The Winnipeg-Minneapolis snowmobile race was canceled due to lack of snow last week. It hasn't cracked freezing there since mid December, just no snow.

Archived