• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 27-29 Rainy/Windy System Potential

Hoosier

It's looking like it could get intense tomorrow. Hopefully the subway doesn't flood (like it did in 2013).

The newer models keep upping the amount of rain tomorrow. With the GTA at peak fall foliage, the high winds gusting 60-70km will take most of the leaves down and clog the drains. add 2-3 inches of rain in 12 hours and we could be looking at some flooding. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love wind storms and this looks to be quite a serious one.

..HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 4 PM EDTWEDNESDAY...* LOCATIONS...ALONG THE CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE AND LAKE ERIE SHORE  LINE IN WESTERN CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY AND SOUTHWESTERN ERIE COUNTY.* TIMING...EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY  AFTERNOON.* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 MPH.* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS FOR HIGH  PROFILE VEHICLES. THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY IS VULNERABLE TO  SOUTHEASTERLY CROSS WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE. ALSO...TREES WITH  ANY LEAVES REMAINING CAN BE MORE EASILY BE TOPPLED WHICH MAY  CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.

I love wind storms and this looks to be quite a serious one.

..HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 4 PM EDTWEDNESDAY...* LOCATIONS...ALONG THE CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE AND LAKE ERIE SHORE  LINE IN WESTERN CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY AND SOUTHWESTERN ERIE COUNTY.* TIMING...EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY  AFTERNOON.* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 MPH.* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS FOR HIGH  PROFILE VEHICLES. THE NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY IS VULNERABLE TO  SOUTHEASTERLY CROSS WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE. ALSO...TREES WITH  ANY LEAVES REMAINING CAN BE MORE EASILY BE TOPPLED WHICH MAY  CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.

I'm not sure about any local climo effects but southeast is also usually an atypical direction to get those kind of winds.  Trees may not handle it as well compared to if they were coming from another direction.

I'm not sure about any local climo effects but southeast is also usually an atypical direction to get those kind of winds.  Trees may not handle it as well compared to if they were coming from another direction.

We very rarely get these type of winds coming from that direction. Our highest wind events are SW going up the full stretch of the lake. This will definitely be something we haven't seen in awhile.

We very rarely get these type of winds coming from that direction. Our highest wind events are SW going up the full stretch of the lake. This will definitely be something we haven't seen in awhile.

Impressive downsloping effect in this scenario.

Plenty of warnings up in Ontario (Rainfall and High Wind). 

aGEZiFi.png

As far as I can tell, the SE Michigan area has a PW (precipitable water) of 1.2-1.3" right now. This is higher than the mid/late-July average PW value at the DTX sounding station. The typical highest PW of the year at DTX is in mid/late July. Median PW is 1.02" for July 25th; mean PW is around to 1.15" around this time frame.

As far as I can tell, the SE Michigan area has a PW (precipitable water) of 1.2-1.3" right now. This is higher than the mid/late-July average PW value at the DTX sounding station. The typical highest PW of the year at DTX is in mid/late July. Median PW is 1.02" for July 25th; mean PW is around to 1.15" around this time frame.

Even higher PWATs to the south of us moving NNE currently, these have to be close to record territory for this time of year:

icWSndF.gif

Models didn't go quite wet enough over here.  Widespread 1.00-1.50" fell across ec/ne Iowa and my county was the bullseye with many 2+" reports.  I received 2.06".  It looks like much of the northern US got a nice soaking from this system.

I now have an above average 3.29" for the month after having no rain at all until the 20th.  Another decent rainfall is possible on Halloween.  It has been quite the turnaround.

For anyone looking at Chicago precip totals:

The precipitation sensor at Chicago-O'Hare is malfunctioning, causing the automated observed precipitation amounts to be incorrect. FAA contract observers at O'Hare will be taking manual precipitation measurements every 6 hours until the issue is resolved. On the METAR reports, the synoptic 6-hour precipitation amounts will be augmented by the contract observers, but hourly precipitation amounts will not be augmented. Refer to the bulletins at 7am, 1pm. 7pm and 1am CDT for the correct precipitation amounts, as the hourly METAR reports will not add up to the 6-hour amounts. Technicians are working on the issue, though it is unknown at this time when the precipitation sensor at O'Hare will be restored to proper working order.

Archived