joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NHC now has the disturbance E of Joaquin up to a 70% chance of becoming a TD in
the next 5 days.  It is the remains of Ida, but it also interacted with a baroclinic
trough days ago.  What is interesting is that at 250 mb by 72 hr on the 06z GFS,
a two contoured closed low develops here (weakens after in the next 24 hour
period). Look at the stiff NW wind at this level not far E of Joaquin at 72 hours.  Yes,
it might not feel this, but this is a potential track influence.  If this upper low persists
longer and/or moves/extends more NW, Joaquin's track N could be interrupted/affected.

The point is it isn't as straightforward with just big E Coast trough to
pick the hurricane up for a straight shot N or NW with the strong ridge
to the E to keep it from escaping out.   We have this fairly significant 250
low under the ridge axis just E of the hurricane!  Perhaps this explains

the 00z ECMWF op track and the spread in the 06z GFS ensembles.

post-1766-0-07146800-1443624626_thumb.gi

The collapse of convection over the western semicircle since ~12Z clearly shows the influence of drier low- to mid-level air wrapping around from the north. So long as the dry air is in place, hindering the further development of the inner core, then the intensification we have seen thus far is likely to level off. The system will probably need another day to fully mix out the dry air, by which time the low-level ridging to its southwest should start to weaken. That weakening trend should allow the formation of a deeper moist inflow from the Caribbean and cut off some of the dry air infiltrating from the north. Once the dry air diminishes, I fully expect rapid intensification, given what we've already seen under less-than-ideal conditions.

The collapse of convection over the western semicircle since ~12Z clearly shows the influence of drier low- to mid-level air wrapping around from the north. So long as the dry air is in place, hindering the further development of the inner core, then the intensification we have seen thus far is likely to level off. The system will probably need another day to fully mix out the dry air, by which time the low-level ridging to its southwest should start to weaken. That weakening trend should allow the formation of a deeper moist inflow from the Caribbean and cut off some of the dry air infiltrating from the north. Once the dry air diminishes, I fully expect rapid intensification, given what we've already seen under less-than-ideal conditions.

Or simply mesoscale subsidence from nearby convective bursts. There's a well defined eye on microwave and it's now started to show up on visible.

That thing looks like Hugo at landfall with those multiple outflow channels!

One of the reasons the operational 00Z ECMWF is out to sea is not only does it interact with Ida remnants, they do a Fujiwara around each other, with Joaquin out to sea and the Ida remnants to the NC coast by 12Z Sunday. The model has done this in more than one run.

There is definitely no shortage of dynamic complexity to Joaquin. In one graphic you can see how it could begin interacting with both the UL trough and the resurrected Ida...at least according to the HWRF that is.

0qEuegY.png

As alluded in my previous post, the big question is the Atlantic trough pinching off a cutoff low, ventilating the remnants of Ida and possibly affecting steering currents for Joaquin. The Euro gives greater influence to this feature, and I don't think it's because the more southwestern position of Joaquin in it's forecast, as the GFS has trended further SW in the 12z run and it gives the cutoff low in the SE CONUS much more influence. So unless we see a quicker retrogression from said Atlantic ULL, my line of thinking is that the Euro is going to burn badly with its current Joaquin's forecast.

Also, I think San Salvador Island will be ground zero for an intensifying MH, and North Carolina will have a decent hurricane landfall, with the major story being the tremendous rainfall area along all the east coast.

The Euro op continues its persistence in sliding the amplified trough further east and cutting a low off the Southeast coast. This is the biggest influence in the OTS solution and marginal difference between the other operational models, not excluding some of Euro ensembles. That essentially creates a mid-level steering flow out of the SW towards Bermuda and blocks the US from landfall versus the opposing solution of channeled SE flow and phase with a tilted trough further west and inland. As of right now it is the minority in this OTS solution, aside from varying ensemble members of the other globals. A lot of focus is on ex-Ida, but to my eyes, the evolution and position of where the trough pinches off is what will have to be monitored closely.

This appears to be the energy that the Euro shows pulling Joaquin out to sea.  The Euro has this energy more potent and has Joaquin slower to lift out of the Bahamas, so this energy grabs Joaquin.  The GFS has this energy weaker and Joaquin faster to lift north out of the Bahamas, so the southeast US energy grabs Joaquin.

wv-l_zpsvybq1mzz.jpg

Climo tracks of all September and October Category 1/2 hurricanes within 50 nautical miles of Joaquin, three out of five storms curved out to sea and one took a Hugo-esque track into South Carolina. The Florida track likely falls outside the realm of realistic possibilities here:

post-533-0-28662000-1443643344_thumb.jpg

NHC seemed to split the difference for the models the 21z track.  Thing is, none of these 12z global
models...GFS/GEM/NAVGEM/UKMET/JMA...show a center track to DCA.  These five models have it going
inland over NC or SC and turning W or SW after landfall.  The 12z HWRF and GFDL do the same.  The 12z
ECMWF shows it staying well out to sea.  Just saying that the track to DCA is somewhat misleading.  I realize
they say the track confidence is low, but a lot of people just look at the track forecast graphic and run with that. 
DCA being a big population center and a track like that likely putting a decent storm surge up Chesapeake Bay,
this is significant!

If you were in DCA as forecaster, what would you say?  "this is the official track, but I don't think it is going
to happen??"  This is one case having a single deterministic forecast track really does not work.  I don't think I
have  ever seen such a dichotomy between models like this for a TC close to the East Coast...well, one (ECMWF)
vs. all others!

NHC seemed to split the difference for the models the 21z track.  Thing is, none of these 12z global
models...GFS/GEM/NAVGEM/UKMET/JMA...show a center track to DCA.  These five models have it going
inland over NC or SC and turning W or SW after landfall.  The 12z HWRF and GFDL do the same.  The 12z
ECMWF shows it staying well out to sea.  Just saying that the track to DCA is somewhat misleading.  I realize
they say the track confidence is low, but a lot of people just look at the track forecast graphic and run with that. 
DCA being a big population center and a track like that likely putting a decent storm surge up Chesapeake Bay,
this is significant!

If you were in DCA as forecaster, what would you say?  "this is the official track, but I don't think it is going

to happen??"  This is one case having a single deterministic forecast track really does not work.  I don't think I

have  ever seen such a dichotomy between models like this for a TC close to the East Coast...well, one (ECMWF)
vs. all others!

NHC is really in a no-win situation with this.  Given the vast majority of models showing US landfall, it'd be reckless to go all-in with the Euro and depict Joaquin going out to sea.  It does seem like there's a growing possibility of an either/or outcome...either landfall in the Carolinas or out to sea.  I liked their "key messages" writeup at the end of the discussion, but hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

NHC is really in a no-win situation with this.  Given the vast majority of models showing US landfall, it'd be reckless to go all-in with the Euro and depict Joaquin going out to sea.  It does seem like there's a growing possibility of an either/or outcome...either landfall in the Carolinas or out to sea.  I liked their "key messages" writeup at the end of the discussion, but hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

well, let's hope the mets there in DC, Baltimore, DelMarva, Richmond, Norfolk/Newport News, NJ, Philly, NYC, Harrisburg/Reading, Wilkes Barre-Scranton, eastern NC, central NC, Charlotte, Columbia, Hilton Head, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Myrtle Beach markets explain this situation properly. I agree that the key messages in the latest NHC public advisory were spot on. But the local mets have to do the job as well on this situation. I have a friend in the Baltimore market that's a newsperson on a big radio station there, that i'll contact and ask him when he's off the air to confirm the message that his station's met is being quite detailed about all of this. hopefully everyone here who knows mets in the markets closer to them makes sure that the on-air people there explain this properly.

I completely agree about a no-win situation at this point in time, but the issue remains.  In this case, overwhelming model consensus shows a track no further N that the NC/VA border, staying well S of DCA, so going with this track is not unreasonable.  Going with the ECMWF track right now I would not do b/c it is one against many.  Yes, consensus is not always the answer, but what else do you really have to go by here?  It's hard to go against so many models, and when there is no model track shown that explicitly moves the TC to DCA here?

I agree there is no easy answer here though.

EDIT:  I forgot to say that I do believe the 12z ECMWF track is possible.  I think Joaquin has very little room here either way to move for big differences later on.  Gets too far S&W, and it does not get boldily picked up by the trough and never makes a CONUS landfall.  Stays a bit further N or the trough digs just a little sharper SE, Joaquin gets competely caught and pulled back in to NC/SC.  Very touch and go here!

Archived