Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forecast shows a TS towards DCA...the sensible weather would be similar with a track towards NC, a bit windy and lots of rain. It would be way different if we were expecting a Cat 2 or similar and/or flood vs no flood.

I was thinking along the lines of a storm surge in Chesapeake Bay.  A center track that goes into the Outer Banks and then

turns W or SW from there is not the same as a center track driving NW with it paralleling just SW of Chesapeake Bay.

The forecast shows a TS towards DCA...the sensible weather would be similar with a track towards NC, a bit windy and lots of rain. It would be way different if we were expecting a Cat 2 or similar and/or flood vs no flood.

You also have to account for the push of water up the Chesapeake and in the tributaries from the accumulated energy of a previously major hurricane. Wind and rain might not be the primary concerns.

Obviously depends on the center track and how much it degrades as it gains latitude.

Clearly Joaquin is on its way to becoming a category 3 hurricane. I am pretty confident it reaches category 4 eventually. Upper level dynamics are not perfect yet, but an outflow channel to the NW has yet to establish itself. Really, the biggest inhibitor at this point is stationary upwelling and inevitable shear in a few days based on its position with respect to upper-level flow aloft.

Sent from my LG G4.

Clearly Joaquin is on its way to becoming a category 3 hurricane. I am pretty confident it reaches category 4 eventually. Upper level dynamics are not perfect yet, but an outflow channel to the NW has yet to establish itself. Really, the biggest inhibitor at this point is stationary upwelling and inevitable shear in a few days based on its position with respect to upper-level flow aloft.

Sent from my LG G4.

Well, shear has been around 20 kts all day, and just recently dropped a bit to ~15 kts, according to CIMSS analysis. The atmosphere instability has given it the oomph factor to gradually strengthen today, and as soon as the shear relaxed a bit, it appears to be in a RIC.

Once again the 18Z GFDL (and I suspect the HWRF will show the same) is indicating that the trough will negatively tilt as the downstream jet streak back builds and curves anti-cyclonically putting the cyclone in a favorable position relative to the UL features with warm SSTs and modest deep layer shear. 

JCJAU6v.png

Pinwheel or pinhole?

Pinhole. Thanks for the correction. Thought the 8 pm would come in stronger but that's much stronger than I expected. At this rate, Joaquin will be major by daybreak, if not sooner and a nightmare for the Bahamas with a rapidly deepening storm in their neighborhood.

Well, shear has been around 20 kts all day, and just recently dropped a bit to ~15 kts, according to CIMSS analysis. The atmosphere instability has given it the oomph factor to gradually strengthen today, and as soon as the shear relaxed a bit, it appears to be in a RIC.

Agreed. The upper level dynamics should be perfect tomorrow. I am referring to the eventual upstream shear aloft as it interacts with the tilted trough in a few days. At first, this will establish an amazing outflow channel to the NW, which will aid intensification. However, inevitably, that same 250mb channel will create a sheared environment over the storm as it moves north or approaches the coast. That's just part of the future setup we're considering. Though, at that point, we're dealing with a large system and an eventual phase if the majority operational models win out.

Sent from my LG G4.

URNT12 KNHC 010015

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL112015

A. 30/23:48:10Z

B. 23 deg 56 min N

072 deg 56 min W

C. 700 mb 2698 m

D. 79 kt

E. 327 deg 17 nm

F. 058 deg 97 kt

G. 327 deg 12 nm

H. 952 mb