Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall color 2015 thread

michsnowfreak

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with the two frosts I've already had and the warm days of late, color is really popping. still about a week behind last season I think.

Took this early this morn... not the best pic with the clouds but still get an idea of the progression up this way. The lower elevations and coast are about half as colored up.

with the two frosts I've already had and the warm days of late, color is really popping. still about a week behind last season I think.

Took this early this morn... not the best pic with the clouds but still get an idea of the progression up this way. The lower elevations and coast are about half as colored up.

attachicon.gif292764_240393316011344_2088342279_n.jpg

Fall color is beautiful no matter the weather!

The Coke! Long since done with the Arctic. ;)

One of the warmest Septembers to date so I'm not too surprised about the foliage.

I thought so, just wasn't 100% sure!

What's funny is, other than the usual stressed tree here and there, when I noticed the trees start to get more and more tints of color was during the warm weather last week. I don't think that has TOO much to do with it. My best gauge of how timely the color show is when peak is.

This one maple just beside my property is starting to show some color. Look in the upper right and lower left.

post-671-0-84395100-1442973432_thumb.jpg

This is not the best way to show color but I think you can still tell that it is turning yellow and red. I was curious this morning if I could see color while still shooting towards the sun. Getting the the shadow of the trunk helped but not as much as I hoped. Sorry for the poor looking image.

Edit: I forgot to mention this poor tree has had a rough go of it lately. Last fall the utility company came and trimmed it back rather severe on one side to keep it out of the power lines. THen with all the wet weather this spring and early summer this poor tree is showing some stress by showing color before most of the rest of the trees in the area.

Just a few yellows and browns beginning to show down this way. I'm predicting that with the way autumn is going and kind of a late start, we are going to have everything change at once, creating a short period of bright, vibrant color. It seems that most years in this area, it is drawn out over a few weeks.

post-830-0-00387200-1443026868_thumb.jpg

There's a lot of color starting as I've said all week. It's very noticeable on the morning drive, especially with the angle of the sun. But again starting means just that. With the nonstop sunshine and cool nights I'll be shocked if it isn't a vibrant color show in October .

You just don't want a hard freeze. 

^Nice pics fellas.

Color is still pretty meager in this area.  Still pretty much entirely green outside of a few patches here and there.  The corn is quickly being harvested though, as it matured early in the summer and dried out early in harvest season as well.  Even the soybeans are quickly drying out and in many cases are ready for harvest.

There aren't many left....but there are some that were treated early and often that have done quite well.

Ash will probably end up like an elm. There are a handful of stately elms that have survived and do just fine, decades after it's dime-a-dozen status was wiped out by disease.

Color is probably a bit behind but it's hard to tell because it's still only late September and popping by the day. For me how much or how little green remains in mid October is a sign of how far behind, if any, we are colorwise. The way some of you Chicago folks are talking maybe you are behind us (I assume we average identical peaks). Obviously we are a LONG way from peak but it is clearly more than just stressed trees showing color here.

Archived