Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall color 2015 thread

michsnowfreak

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spectacular pictures! The colors were splendid here yesterday and today as well. Better get out and enjoy them before the rain/windstorm hits!

Where is that train color tour at? That is great. I will have to do that next year with the wife.

Its in Tecumseh. Half of the beauty is driving through the country to get there and seeing the gorgeous colors. If you go, you have to sit in an open air car, sitting in a regular car you dont see as much.

Enjoying the last of the peak color, few more pics from today. Trees losing leaves like crazy, and wind-driven rain on the way in a few days.

4460-800.jpg

4461-800.jpg

This thread has been filling up with some very colorful shots the last few days! Seeing all the different autumn scenes is cool. Glad you guys have the time to do it. About the only time I have is in the morning. By the time I get off work the light level is pretty low.

I'm hoping there is some good color left after this storm...

This thread has been filling up with some very colorful shots the last few days! Seeing all the different autumn scenes is cool. Glad you guys have the time to do it. About the only time I have is in the morning. By the time I get off work the light level is pretty low.

I'm hoping there is some good color left after this storm...

Generally the same deal here. I work M-F so weekends are my time to get out and enjoy. I lucked out sunday with a gorgeous day and my actual camera in hand to get a ton of pics. Other than that I've been spending my last several lunch hours at the park by my work to enjoy the scenes, & it's a very scenic park to boot. Late day light hitting the trees just right can make awesome scenes, hope you get good pics. I don't think we will have much left here by the end of the week. Fwiw this weekend my brother said we were way ahead of Chicago color wise (but he lives in the city).

I believe that's a cutleaf staghorn sumac. It grows to be a large shrub.

Nice. I was contemplating whether the leaves were Sumac-like.

@Snow Freak. I think color is ahead of the city of Chicago here. I would say peak is here now and if the wind and rain don't knock too many leaves down it should last into early next week.

Between the rain and the wind over the past week the color of the trees doesn't stay top notch for long. Seems like the red and orange leaves get knocked down quickly in this type of weather.

As you can see from this picture, a lot of trees just have bits of yellow and faint orange left. Thinking by the 5th of November the majority of trees should be bare or near bare.

post-7389-0-34154400-1446313997_thumb.jp

Amazing michsnowfreak. I visited Michigan for the first time last year! Went to saugatuck, holland, Muskegon, and Benton harbor! Beautiful landscaps up there!!

You visited my area! This area is beautiful in all seasons. The lake has its own personality each season as well! I hope you got to check out the awesome State Parks here in the Muskegon area!

Very nice Josh and Geos.  Kinda sad to see the leaf season winding down.

Geos, those Japanese maples are pretty sweet.  Very nice little ornamental tree.

Josh, I've noticed over the past few years that sugar maples may have two different varieties, or maybe some slight variant of some kind.  The ones that turn early tend to be slightly less vibrant, and also tend to change/shed leaves in stages from high to low down the tree.  These may have bare branches at the top, colorful leaves in the mid section, and some green left near the bottom of the crown.  The later changing sugars tend to be more vibrant, and have a full crown of colorful leaves that hang on a little longer before shedding occurs.  I'm not sure if it's actually a slightly different version of the same type of tree, or if certain trees just react differently to the seasonal change.  Either way, it seems like the ones that wait a little longer to change end up being the better looking trees for fall foliage.

Very nice Josh and Geos. Kinda sad to see the leaf season winding down.

Geos, those Japanese maples are pretty sweet. Very nice little ornamental tree.

Josh, I've noticed over the past few years that sugar maples may have two different varieties, or maybe some slight variant of some kind. The ones that turn early tend to be slightly less vibrant, and also tend to change/shed leaves in stages from high to low down the tree. These may have bare branches at the top, colorful leaves in the mid section, and some green left near the bottom of the crown. The later changing sugars tend to be more vibrant, and have a full crown of colorful leaves that hang on a little longer before shedding occurs. I'm not sure if it's actually a slightly different version of the same type of tree, or if certain trees just react differently to the seasonal change. Either way, it seems like the ones that wait a little longer to change end up being the better looking trees for fall foliage.

I have noticed that too. I *THINK* they are a different species of maple, not sure. Fall is definitely too short, but when you look at it this way...while peak is a SHORT, amazing time of year, the earliest turners already started in early-mid september and the last ones are still I'm their bright glory into early and sometimes mid November, so Fall does make its presence known for a bit :thumbsup:

Very nice Josh and Geos.  Kinda sad to see the leaf season winding down.

Geos, those Japanese maples are pretty sweet.  Very nice little ornamental tree.

Josh, I've noticed over the past few years that sugar maples may have two different varieties, or maybe some slight variant of some kind.  The ones that turn early tend to be slightly less vibrant, and also tend to change/shed leaves in stages from high to low down the tree.  These may have bare branches at the top, colorful leaves in the mid section, and some green left near the bottom of the crown.  The later changing sugars tend to be more vibrant, and have a full crown of colorful leaves that hang on a little longer before shedding occurs.  I'm not sure if it's actually a slightly different version of the same type of tree, or if certain trees just react differently to the seasonal change.  Either way, it seems like the ones that wait a little longer to change end up being the better looking trees for fall foliage.

Thanks!

That tree is about 12 feet tall and does quite well in the sheltered area next to the house. It seems to attract small birds - they just kind of hang out in it. 

95% of my trees are bare now. Two mornings of upper 20s has done that.

Archived