• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall color 2015 thread

michsnowfreak

Ash will probably end up like an elm. There are a handful of stately elms that have survived and do just fine, decades after it's dime-a-dozen status was wiped out by disease.

Color is probably a bit behind but it's hard to tell because it's still only late September and popping by the day. For me how much or how little green remains in mid October is a sign of how far behind, if any, we are colorwise. The way some of you Chicago folks are talking maybe you are behind us (I assume we average identical peaks). Obviously we are a LONG way from peak but it is clearly more than just stressed trees showing color here.

Same here. Definitely have some color. Being near Lake Michigan, we are often protected from the severe frosts early on and the beautiful colors really get to show.

Hoping the color change is a tad later this season since the brutal winter held the trees dormant for awhile. Here's a picture from April 13th outside of my house

During a normal year, it still looks like that here along the Lake Michigan coast about a month later! lol...we will have bare trees until about May 10th, and then everything pops out during the last two weeks of May..

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took advantage of the warmer weather today and did a quick ride to check out the color. The frost back mid month has really muted the color here locally. Peak not too far off... especially with freezing temps forecasted Tue night.

attachicon.gifDSC00857.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00850.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00846.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00845.JPG

Nice.  Can't wait for that kind of color to make it's way south.  Probably another 2-3 weeks away from peak for northern IL.  

weatherbo, on 27 Sept 2015 - 5:03 PM, said:

Took advantage of the warmer weather today and did a quick ride to check out the color. The frost back mid month has really muted the color here locally. Peak not too far off... especially with freezing temps forecasted Tue night.

attachicon.gifDSC00857.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00850.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00846.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00845.JPG

looks pretty killer this time of year

naso much mid-winter barren

He's a city boy.

This weekend I fished on the yellow dog river where trail 5 crosses it. didn't see a soul all day. I'm sure you've been where I'm talking.

I have covered that trail section a few times, so I'm sure I have seen it.

Next winter I'll give you a heads up when we come through there.

My least favorite season in northern Michigan & the UP is when there are no leaves or snow on the ground. That's a short period where you live, probably Oct 20th through November 20th and April 15th through May 10th.

I have covered that trail section a few times, so I'm sure I have seen it.

Next winter I'll give you a heads up when we come through there.

My least favorite season in northern Michigan & the UP is when there are no leaves or snow on the ground. That's a short period where you live, probably Oct 20th through November 20th and April 15th through May 10th.

Sold both of my snow machines this past Summer. They were getting a little old in age and I actually didn't ride but once last year. I got a Polaris sportsman 570 instead. I needed it more.

cool today, in fact very cool today. At 3:15 it's only 50 degrees under full sun and brisk winds. This is more like it! Hard frost and freeze tonight will end the color show pretty quick.... up here at my house, leaves really dropping fast.

Here's a couple shot from this morning when I was in Negaunee. It's still 1983 here. haha :lol:

Sold both of my snow machines this past Summer. They were getting a little old in age and I actually didn't ride but once last year. I got a Polaris sportsman 570 instead. I needed it more.

cool today, in fact very cool today. At 3:15 it's only 50 degrees under full sun and brisk winds. This is more like it! Hard frost and freeze tonight will end the color show pretty quick.... up here at my house, leaves really dropping fast.

Here's a couple shot from this morning when I was in Negaunee. It's still 1983 here. haha :lol:

attachicon.gifDSC00869.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00867.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00866.JPG

Nice Pics Bo, btw its still 1980 or older for 95% of the UP :) 

took a walk around the yard with a cup of coffee this morning near sunrise... chilly and frosty.

attachicon.gifDSC00885.JPG

Nice!  

Still fairly green around here, although some color is starting to show up a little more.  The sugar maples are all still mostly green, and that's where a majority of the good color comes from in these parts.  Even the elm out front is still mostly green, and that's usually an early changer.  

I can't believe it's October and there's still so much green in this area. Usually my fishing hole is showing lots of color by now. It did do a 180° from yesterday weatherwise, recovering to 70°. Turned out to be a splendid afternoon.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

attachicon.gif002.JPG

Beautiful! Where is that?

Hard to believe it's still so green. leaves are falling here already.

Took this around 630pm today. Love Fall/Winter sun angles shortly before sunset.

4422-800.jpg

Nice, Josh.

I was down in Grand Rapids Monday and Tuesday and was surprised at the lack of color. The only real color was the Locust trees along the river. Even flowers still blooming downtown.

Took this pic today on my way home near Newberry. Some beautiful color up this way, although a bit past peak here at home. Didn't start seeing any real good color until around Gaylord.

Nice, Josh.

I was down in Grand Rapids Monday and Tuesday and was surprised at the lack of color. The only real color was the Locust trees along the river. Even flowers still blooming downtown.

Took this pic today on my way home near Newberry. Some beautiful color up this way, although a bit past peak here at home. Didn't start seeing any real good color until around Gaylord.

IMG_2759 (2).JPG

That's a nice pic. Color is probably a week or so behind normal but it's starting to come along. Happens so fast.

Drove up to the WI/IL border Monday afternoon north of Galena. Never even took the camera out of the bag. Long way to go for good color even up near the WI/IL border.

Crazy to think 3 hours north of here is virtually in the same boat. I wonder why the lack of fall foliage? Changes seem very behind this year, I mean we're heading into the 2nd week of October already, and lots and lots of green still.

Could it be the very wet summer? Idk could be a dumb question, but I know many places in the sub had a very wet to historically wet summer.

Crazy to think 3 hours north of here is virtually in the same boat. I wonder why the lack of fall foliage? Changes seem very behind this year, I mean we're heading into the 2nd week of October already, and lots and lots of green still.

Could it be the very wet summer? Idk could be a dumb question, but I know many places in the sub had a very wet to historically wet summer.

Maybe wet summer, but we also had a fairly late spring as far as foliage, at least around here.

Archived