Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall color 2015 thread

michsnowfreak

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pictures, everybody! Sort of bummed that right when some of the trees changed color, we had gusty winds all weekend, knocking some of them off. Still many left on to go though. We had a big burst of color last week and then it slowed down again with the warmer weather. Very odd color season.  Still, beautiful colors to see and hopefully the wind calms down a bit for the rest of the week. With cooler air and lake effect showers though, I doubt that though.

A few pictures from my neck of the woods. You can see the Bills stadium directly ahead, lake erie to the left, downtown Buffalo far away, and if you look real close Niagara Falls way off the distance. You can come here during lake effect season to see the bands north of the area. This is my favorite park, about 8 minutes from my house. I go frisbee golfing here a few times a week and cross country skiing in the winter. Has some good elevation (1200 feet) and average 175-225" of snow a year.

fxmDy8p.jpg

qp7MhT4.jpg

Went camping down by the Lake Shelbyville (IL) area this past weekend. Trees still trying to hold on to their summery glow, but the times are a changing as evidenced by the falling leaves and hints of fiery colors! I am sure if I gave it 2 or 3 weeks it would be much more vibrant!

post-13488-0-44866800-1444777059_thumb.jpost-13488-0-40706200-1444777075_thumb.jpost-13488-0-03306300-1444777089_thumb.jpost-13488-0-03401300-1444777114_thumb.j

Went camping down by the Lake Shelbyville (IL) area this past weekend. Trees still trying to hold on ot their summery glow, but the times are a changing as evidenced by the fall leaves and hints of fiery colors! I am sure if I gave it 2 or 3 weeks it would much more vibrant!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cool!! My folks actually keep their motor home at lake shelbeyville year round near the coon creek campground! Fishing has been insane out there the past few weeks!

Cool!! My folks actually keep their motor home at lake shelbeyville year round near the coon creek campground! Fishing has been insane out there the past few weeks!

That's what I heard, but unfortunately not what I experienced! Was way too breezy for good fishing, but nevertheless I enjoyed it.

Nice pics so far guys.  

I'm starting to think this season will be a bust here.  Color just isn't looking so hot.  The trees that have turned quickly had their leaves blown off.  The sugar maples don't seem as vibrant as normal either.  Very disappointing so far.

Same here.

Anyone remember fall 2000?  Still had leaves on the trees in December, even during that storm on the 11th.

Don't remember that but I do remember a period of extreme early season cold sometime in the early 90s in early Nov.  Many of the trees hadn't dropped all their leaves yet and the leaves froze to the trees and didn't fall off all winter, despite several periods well above freezing later on.  Think it dipped into the teens or even upper single digits IIRC.

There's a tree by the curb in my neighbor's yard that is absolutely stunning right now, hard to get a picture to do it justice. I'm not sure even what kind of tree it is but it really stands out against the other trees in the neighborhood that haven't reached full color yet.

post-7696-0-64522700-1445057604_thumb.jp

Also, not your typical fall color but the New England Asters and Goldenrod are still in full bloom and look nice in the fields surrounding the Fairlane Green shopping complex in nearby Allen Park. Hard to believe that 13 years ago, this was a landfill used by Ford Motor Company.

post-7696-0-11096500-1445058102_thumb.jp

Don't remember that but I do remember a period of extreme early season cold sometime in the early 90s in early Nov.  Many of the trees hadn't dropped all their leaves yet and the leaves froze to the trees and didn't fall off all winter, despite several periods well above freezing later on.  Think it dipped into the teens or even upper single digits IIRC.

I can't remember how widespread it was in 2000 but there were trees on my block that were still dropping leaves.  Was kinda weird to see that in the midst of blizzard/near blizzard conditions lol.

Archived