• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Summer September to remember

Ginx snewx

ORH has to rise ...OR, the lower els have to cool off..

That's too much vertical temperature change to be stable; it's going flip over - has to.  The actually curiosity is ...why is ORH so cool to begin with - relative to hour.  

It's like there's something else ... maybe mechanically related to how the topography interacts with the atmosphere to induct the coolest plausible outcome... 

This is often what I think when looking at the SNE elevation temperatures.  There's something else going on there.  Like when its 91-93F at CEF/FIT/BDL but the Berkshire stations or ORH Hill spots at 1,000ft are 84F.  Lapse rates often struggle to make sense.  Its like some extreme low level lapse rate from 1,500ft on downward. 

Up here I can almost always make sense out of the lapse rates from the peaks down to the valleys.  Maybe its the "relative" terrain and we have better mixing up through the high summits up here, but I can pretty much count on 5F/1,000ft with sun and mixed atmosphere from H85 on downward.  And all the stations will usually line up nicely at the various elevations.  That doesn't happen as "textbook" down in the SNE elevations vs. valleys for some reason.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing that since early August.  I will believe it when I see it.  Incredible dry torch the last 30 days give or take.

Next 180 days..... right through March Morch...... not a single day with less than +10F departure from normal. No snow below 4000' and south of 45N. That's it.... let's start the summer of 2016 board now.

Or, lets get real and expect a return to around normal (give or take a couple of *F) with a step down to cooler than normal come early October possible.

Pretty sure its a basically normal pattern with minor deviations, most of the AN days are wet days with cloud cover holding up overnight lows. Nothing crazy either way.

Yup.  "Insane" is a bit of hyperbole.  My avg yesterday was +10, which is always respectable during the warm months, but in Sept real "insane heat" begins when daily means exceed +15.  I expect today's avg to be 12-13F AN, as we gain 8-10F on the min and lose 4-5F on the max - mostly cloudy today vs mostly sunny yesterday.

Actually the ORH number makes sense with BDL and BED being 5F higher over about 850ft of elevation change.  ORH vs. FIT is more interesting as that is 8F over 650ft of elevation change.  FIT must be seeing compressional heating from a downslope flow.

There are some extremes of disparity out there, though.

Case in point, my buddy lives at 890 feet on a ridge line in Northern ORH Co, about 5 miles as the crow flies from the FIT airport - home of the NWS thermometer. That site put up a 93 last hour; my buddy report 86 at the time.  

Other than that 5 miles, he about 550 feet higher in el than the airport.  There are a lot of 90+ readings along the Rt 2 corridor, including BED and on down into Boston.  

It may be that this is all just prior to normalizing.  Some places will stop rising, others join up late, ...then the wind picks up with that firey breeze thing like yesterday.  

Actually the ORH number makes sense with BDL and BED being 5F higher over about 850ft of elevation change.  ORH vs. FIT is more interesting as that is 8F over 650ft of elevation change.  FIT must be seeing compressional heating from a downslope flow.

ORH is really weird. I lived about a mile away and maybe a 100 feet lower. We (and the airport) might get 3" of snow while Tatnuck Square, a mile away and about 400' lower got a trace. Paxton, which is higher by a couple hundred feet often got 3 or 4 or 6 inches of snow when the city saw only flakes in the air. My house on the east side now is often 5*F+ (at 600 feet) than the airport. Not at all sure why.

ORH is really weird. I lived about a mile away and maybe a 100 feet lower. We (and the airport) might get 3" of snow while Tatnuck Square, a mile away and about 400' lower got a trace. Paxton, which is higher by a couple hundred feet often got 3 or 4 or 6 inches of snow when the city saw only flakes in the air. My house on the east side now is often 5*F+ (at 600 feet) than the airport. Not at all sure why.

I think you explained why by your elevation.

ORH has to rise ...OR, the lower els have to cool off..

That's too much vertical temperature change to be stable; it's going flip over - has to. The actually curiosity is ...why is ORH so cool to begin with - relative to hour.

It's like there's something else ... maybe mechanically related to how the topography interacts with the atmosphere to induct the coolest plausible outcome...

The question is moot for me anyway. ORH's temperature has about as much meaning for common civility as Logan's does, and neither make a whole deal of logical sense. You put a f "official" Boston temp out on an island in the Harbor?

It's just flat plain dead panned wrong to do that, and anything other that is excusing it is an utter fallacy of logic and pure bullschit rationalization, PERIOD.

end of discussion.

Orh 89 at 1pm

They will hit 90 impressive heat

89 at 1pm

They will hit 90 impressive heat

Yeah just saw that...

They will not only make 90, they'll probably break that 91 record set in 2007, with 92 or even 93... I bet we get 97 outta this over at Hanscome and Lawerence... I bet BOS absolutely roasts in the evening strolls at the water fronts and the Common.  Jerry's place is precisely the wrong location for people who don't like heat. ..that bastard...

Not much by Dallas TX standard, no - but this is September 8 in New England.  

Looks like we are nomalizing alright, on the high end. 

ORH has a NW wind right now...that is aiding them.

They would probably be a couple degrees cooler if the wind was SW or WSW like modeled.

Ha, I was just thinking about that/you - word!

Also, ASH is WNW... and there are a few points around the area to suggest the average 'drift' is more on the N side of due west.  

I was also thinking back to "Hot Saturday" and that firey afternoon back in 2010 was it?  Where/when it was 107 on Rt 9 at 55 mph! ..both those occasions seem to substantiate the old timer claim to look out when the wind blows from the NW!   

I would venture to wonder if this is also endemic to these Sonoran type EML air masses, where their so hot they carry a kind of transient, diurnally charged additional NVL that sort of forces that NW bend.  Hmm.. 

Some massive CU just exploding overhead and to the west. Didn't expect to see that

Good ob ..

I was noticing on hi res vis loop that TCU are in streets through PA/NY and I was wondering if this whole region of the warm sector my just forcibly ignite ...shall we say, "independent" of the model and mind's intents and purposes - 

Don't know though. Haven't looked at much re that. 

Good ob ..

I was noticing on hi res vis loop that TCU are in streets through PA/NY and I was wondering if this whole region of the warm sector my just forcibly ignite ...shall we say, "independent" of the model and mind's intents and purposes - 

Don't know though. Haven't looked at much re that. 

Storm blew up to my NW over about Ellington or Windsor maybe..nothing showed that today

Ha, I was just thinking about that/you - word!

Also, ASH is WNW... and there are a few points around the area to suggest the average 'drift' is more on the N side of due west.  

I was also thinking back to "Hot Saturday" and that firey afternoon back in 2010 was it?  Where/when it was 107 on Rt 9 at 55 mph! ..both those occasions seem to substantiate the old timer claim to look out when the wind blows from the NW!   

I would venture to wonder if this is also endemic to these Sonoran type EML air masses, where their so hot they carry a kind of transient, diurnally charged additional NVL that sort of forces that NW bend.  Hmm.. 

That's possible. It is weird they are 10 knots on a wind direction that is like 50 degrees off what the forecast was.  

I think you explained why by your elevation.

You think that's all elevation?

Jeff Gordon said he's at 600ft and regularly 5F+ from ORH. That's a helluva lapse rate.

Although these big differences don't seem to be noticed as much in winter, so gotta imagine evapotranspiration plays a big part in why one spot will be 86F and then only 400ft lower its 93F.

The regional temp maps look much more uniform in winter....like 31F valleys and 27-28F hills. You don't see like 36F at HippyValley while it's 28F at MPM unless CAA or something.

Looking around ...we've exceeded MAV MOS by 1 to 3 F on the hot side at most sites and counting.

Not sure that count will get much higher though, because we got TCU tickling the glaciation layer... one output shower and it's over. Too fragile around here to recover... 

Archived