joxey
A Summer September to remember

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'd better hope we lose this disaster setup we have now by this winter

Ed Vallee ‏@EdValleeWx  8h

Quick long range update: EPS Weeklies continue to show Aluetian Low through beginning of October. Looks pretty warm in eastern US overall.

This is a surprise...

Said no one with a vestige of a clue.

Yeah...I suppose there's some weak homage there, but the elephant pattern in the room is still a warm one. That whole bag of inclemency flips right back out. 

I was impressed to see the 00z and 06z GFS solutions bear positive anomalies in the east right out to 380 hours.. Also, the Euro may be overdone next week with it's intended scale of the eastern ridge, but both it and the GFS quickly rotate the OV trough up into the Maritimes, replacing those same regions of the OV/MA right back into a similar positive height anomaly as that which we've just transpired. 

The Euro actually brings another quasi-Sonoran plume with it, too..  It's getting late in the solar year, so it will be an interesting challenge... But, I recall in 1998, a December high temperature of 75 to 80 F with mid afternoon dew forming on the edges of windshields, and shady roads that stayed wet due to absurdly high DPs.  I think based on that and other autumnal warm extremes in lore, it's not too late to put up a 90 prior to the Equinox - and that's probably a duh.  

But again, the Euro's likely a bit too amped with the ridge, as it typically is with most features in that time range. The GFS is probably too progressive and flat, just the same.  Somewhere in between is a solid argument not to hold one's breath for seasonal change.

'Wonder where all those deep troughs with the chilly 850 plumes into Manitoba went - 

The pattern is very non-nino IMO going forward. If you believe the EC ensemble,  higher height anomalies over the Aleutians, low anomalies in NW Canada and ridging over the northeast and adjacent Canada. For all that thought El Nino was going to halt the rotation of the Earth and govern all weather...kind of funny.

The pattern is very non-nino IMO going forward. If you believe the EC ensemble,  higher height anomalies over the Aleutians, low anomalies in NW Canada and ridging over the northeast and adjacent Canada. For all that thought El Nino was going to halt the rotation of the Earth and govern all weather...kind of funny.

Ha ha!  word - 

I think I read some posts (have no idea by whom -) that espoused early winters in warm ENSOs?  

I think I've read that over the years, anyway, not just here... But, maybe things break toward October +

One observation that's been bouncing around in mind lately is a little concerning.  I have noted over recent months at times, that the tendency for the NE Pac/Alaskan sector ridge was a kind of base-line pattern.  I think it may be too soon to close the book on that as "an era now gone".  I just don't recall at any time last summer into autumn, having this kind of make-up, which is really not like that...  heh

The overall in situ, and that which you just described of the Euro ens ... neither bares any resemblance of said base-line pattern, and that's a little concerning.  

No one panic! just that confidence in season outlook is less than the usual pos anyway - 

Ha ha!  word - 

I think I read some posts (have no idea by whom -) that espoused early winters in warm ENSOs?  

I think I've read that over the years, anyway, not just here... But, maybe things break toward October +

One observation that's been bouncing around in mind lately is a little concerning.  I have noted over recent months at times, that the tendency for the NE Pac/Alaskan sector ridge was a kind of base-line pattern.  I think it may be too soon to close the book on that as "an era now gone".  I just don't recall at any time last summer into autumn, having this kind of make-up, which is really not like that...  heh

The overall in situ, and that which you just described of the Euro ens ... neither bares any resemblance of said base-line pattern, and that's a little concerning.  

No one panic! just that confidence in season outlook is less than the usual pos anyway - 

Admittedly anecdotal....but I'd rather September be mild if speculating on ramifications for the ensuing winter....

Again, no data.

I would be surprised if October doesn't show a lot more ENSO influence than what is going on right now.

I was just reminiscing about 43 F CAA pixel showers with a couple of small grapple pellets bouncing, just before the sun comes back out and sets up the next one... 

And thinking, could that be any far more different than this day? 

Wow.  

It's sear hot out there.  Yeah, there's a breeze. That ventilation helps.  But the haze has reduce quite a bit and the clearer nature to the sky is like being inside a microwave oven out there with that sun's lasers cutting through 90 F air.  

Temps will probably cap shy of yesterday, albeit more uniform due to said mixing.  A buddy also said the DPs are nearing 70 down near NYC... and am noticing some CB with anvil blowing NW ... S of Long Island... May be the early signals for theta e invasion.  Something has to come in if the NAMs thundery 12 hour rains are to commence.

Yeah...I suppose there's some weak homage there, but the elephant pattern in the room is still a warm one. That whole bag of inclemency flips right back out.

I was impressed to see the 00z and 06z GFS solutions bear positive anomalies in the east right out to 380 hours.. Also, the Euro may be overdone next week with it's intended scale of the eastern ridge, but both it and the GFS quickly rotate the OV trough up into the Maritimes, replacing those same regions of the OV/MA right back into a similar positive height anomaly as that which we've just transpired.

The Euro actually brings another quasi-Sonoran plume with it, too.. It's getting late in the solar year, so it will be an interesting challenge... But, I recall in 1998, a December high temperature of 75 to 80 F with mid afternoon dew forming on the edges of windshields, and shady roads that stayed wet due to absurdly high DPs. I think based on that and other autumnal warm extremes in lore, it's not too late to put up a 90 prior to the Equinox - and that's probably a duh.

But again, the Euro's likely a bit too amped with the ridge, as it typically is with most features in that time range. The GFS is probably too progressive and flat, just the same. Somewhere in between is a solid argument not to hold one's breath for seasonal change.

'Wonder where all those deep troughs with the chilly 850 plumes into Manitoba went -

Theres been some talk on here of no more warmth/heat. Seems to me another hot/ humid spell is on the table next Tues-fri ... With a 90 or 2 interspersed at typical hot spots

Admittedly anecdotal....but I'd rather September be mild if speculating on ramifications for the ensuing winter....

Again, no data.

I haven't been able to find much a of correlation for September temps and the variety of winters during El Ninos. Maybe a slight nod in favor of torching before a good winter? We torched last September...we were near average in 2009 and 2006...we torched in 2004 and 2002....near average in 1997...cooler than average in 1994, 1991, 1987, and 1986...near average in 1982...cooler in 1977, 1976....torched in 1968, 1969...near average in 1965...a freezer in 1963...and torched in 1957.

I haven't been able to find much a of correlation for September temps and the variety of winters during El Ninos. Maybe a slight nod in favor of torching before a good winter? We torched last September...we were near average in 2009 and 2006...we torched in 2004 and 2002....near average in 1997...cooler than average in 1994, 1991, 1987, and 1986...near average in 1982...cooler in 1977, 1976....torched in 1968, 1969...near average in 1965...a freezer in 1963...and torched in 1957.

A say a slight torch nod....yes.

Not overwhelmingly so...

I hate that damn heat and humidity.

Has anyone else noted how this warm season has mimicked our last cold season?

Very meek first half, followed by guns blazing throughout the 2nd half, and then some...

Absolutely ... back-ended seasons.  Was discussing this on the phone with someone just the other day. 

annnyway...

On a side note, that's kind of an ominous albeit transient set up, having that quasi-closed low plumb to the Apps and then lift N over 24 hours through western NE... 

Could almost envision some seriously seasonally corrective rains taking place there. 

Archived