Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Erika

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can also visualize why center jumps and re-fixes take place frequently with fledgling cyclones.  ..That vortex center is tiny compared to the action associated with the UVM core(s) displaced to the E/S of it... If there is no lift over the top of that thing, it'd fill fast and be gone.

I see your point. My thoughts with the convection to the SE waning, convection around the low will form. But we will have to wait until morning to see the outcome. will be interesting... 

post-533-0-14227500-1440705756_thumb.jpg

An interesting perspective is when considering all August/September tropical storms and tropical depressions within 50nm of the 2 p.m. EDT position of Erika. Just over half of the storms passed over or south of Cuba and that seems relatively unlikely with Erika. Most of the others recurved out to sea, although there is the unique case of Jeanne in 2004 that did a weird loop before turning back west into Florida.

The closest match to the model consensus is Chris from 1988. That solution is highlighted above.

Of the six systems that emerged north of the Dominican Republic as a tropical storm (or weaker) three became hurricanes and three remained fairly weak. There's so much of a split (in many aspects), it's hard to find any climo-based case that strongly leans in one way or the other in terms of intensity. As for track, if the system stays at least marginally organized once it moves into the Bahamas, I think it's probable that the system recurves. If it remains weaker, perhaps it does move into south Florida or dissipates all together. 

Gut still tells me the system dissipates or turns out to sea.

Intensity forecasts in the short to medium term have come down quite a bit in the 18Z models compared to 12Z. This is likely due to the higher likelihood of interaction with Hispaniola. 

I would not put any stock into the 18z suite with the systems structure changing to much now. 

erika should be relatively shear free once (if) she gets north of PR and hisp.  most of the models looks to have hisp do too much damage for her to really ramp up after passing into the bahamas.  we will see if the "jump" in the llc with this new convective blowup causes any track changes in the 18z/00z cycles.

wg8sht.GIF

also good to see this blowup over the center with dmax yet to come.  

WTNT35 KNHC 272036
TCPAT5

BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM ERIKA ADVISORY NUMBER 12
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052015
500 PM AST THU AUG 27 2015

...ERIKA PRODUCING VERY HEAVY RAINS OVER PORTIONS OF THE LEEWARD
ISLANDS...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...16.6N 64.0W
ABOUT 175 MI...280 KM W OF GUADELOUPE
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH...75 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES

Souths winter has sucked so hard, we now treating Hurricanes as winter storms. 

That doesn't mean we need play by play in the main forum thread of the GFS. Everyone knows where to find it. If you want to do play by play of the GFS you can take it to your subforum, though I am sure you will get the same type of reception I am giving here.

That doesn't mean we need play by play in the main forum thread of the GFS. Everyone knows where to find it. If you want to do play by play of the GFS you can take it to your subforum, though I am sure you will get the same type of reception I am giving here.

Not sure about that. The SE sub for this has been pretty messy and more banter than anything.

Damn man, all information is related to the storm. If someone wants to analyze a hour stamp and compare, i see nothing wrong with it. 

Archived