Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Erika

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LLC does appear to have turned NW a slight bit on visible satellite imagery, though it could just be a wobble. As has been mentioned several times, the next 24 hours will be crucial, especially with higher shear values and an increasing tendency near Hispaniola. Most of the models are still keeping Erika north of Hispaniola, though they all said north of Puerto Rico as well yesterday. 

wg8sht.GIF

UKMET very similar to the Euro. This increases my confidence in a weak south FL strike.

Like I said last night, a weak Florida tropical storm is the most likely solution.

Sent from my iPhone

Not saying those solutions are incorrect, but the system is becoming stacked. The LLC has basically taken a northern track now with convection surrounding the eye now.  

The Euro maintains the same mid-level vorticy as the rest of the guidance, albeit not as strong, but it's still there through 84 hours. The difference appears to be that the Euro track is just a smudge South of the model consensus which allows it to slip West instead of getting stuck under the developing ridge. The GFS/GGEM/HWRF/GFDL all keep the storm almost stalled east of KFLL which allows the system to organize and slide North.

I wouldn't consider this LLC any kind of permanent feature ...wrt to the overall spatial-temporal existence of Erika.

It is more likely you are just observing one of many LLC that have been developed, then ultimately slipped out away from the UVM axis, associated with the on-going apparent ml vortex component.  

I distinctly recall a LLC also appearing to be ejected WNW from Erika last evening, just before dark.  Then I see this one doing the same similar behavior.  Unless yesterday's looped back E then S then went up underneath ...then got ejected all over again, you are not observing the same feature. I don't believe there has been any looping of the lower component of the vortex - no.

It is more likely that new LLCs are forming and subsequently being ejected as the system's total vertical structure remains tilted toward the SE.  The dissipate shortly after eject. Following then from logic ... saying that the "center" appears to be moving NNW and will be free of island interference is less than logical sounding.

I think it's more than a runaway LLC. You can see the higher clouds begin to arc around the eye. Multiple low pressures might have formed and are are battling out where the main pressure drop will be.  

11883216_10153720613085312_1247209745_o.

Runaway LLC ?

not sure what that means entirely.  The point was, this is one of a few of them that have been manufactured as vigorous UVM attempts to mix vorticity into the coupled boundary layer, and since the mid level is (shear) tipping back away, any success in doing so then moves away from the ML axis or rotation as it then uncouple, and we see them as exposed... 

Now, if this particularly iteration of all that happens to have NEW covection? sure... have at it - but I was speaking to the multiple LL spin ups aspect, alone.  

Although again.. if there is any truth to that it doesn't make a goodly amount of sense to assume any one of them represents and "Erika center" - it would probably have to be derived by a mean of some sort. 

Runaway LLC ?

not sure what that means entirely.  The point was, this is one of a few of them that have been manufactured as vigorous UVM attempts to mix vorticity into the coupled boundary layer, and since the mid level is (shear) tipping back away, any success in doing so then moves away from the ML axis or rotation and we see them as exposed... 

Now, if this particularly iteration of all that happens to have NEW covection? sure... have at it - but I was speaking to the multiple LL spin ups aspect, alone.  

Although again.. if there is any truth to that it doesn't make a goodly amount of sense to assume any one of them represents and "Erika center" - it would probably have to be derived by a mean of some sort. 

Yes, i know when a hurricane forms there are many pressure drops in the system. but this low pressure has boomeranged right back to the convection. Here is the scatterometer that shows this as the center. 

11909739_10153720658780312_1994099167_n.

Yes, i know when a hurricane forms there are many pressure drops in the system. but this low pressure has boomeranged right back to the convection. Here is the scatterometer that shows this as the center. 

11909739_10153720658780312_1994099167_n.

You can also visualize why center jumps and re-fixes take place frequently with fledgling cyclones.  ..That vortex center is tiny compared to the action associated with the UVM core(s) displaced to the E/S of it... If there is no lift over the top of that thing, it'd fill fast and be gone.

Archived