joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Erika

mappy

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They came across some TS force winds this morning but nothing I've seen suggested they've seen much since. Erika looks worse than it did 12 hours ago IMO.

That said I think keeping it as a TS is the right call. With another convective burst tonight it could be right back to where it was this morning I suppose, and I imagine there would be some difficulty changing current watches and warnings.

No need to confuse the public...

I agree.. it's a good call.

The important point is that the above pattern almost gurantees a US landfall from the NE or SE for somebody. Alot can change in 240 hours.

Don't get me wrong, it is a bizarre setup that would take awhile to play out.

It looks very similar to Ophelia 2005.

Puerto Rico does have some higher terrain but it's not the mountainous region that Hispaniola contains. The center would also likely be spending less than 12 hours overhead so I am not that worried about it surviving the trip. It needs to miss the DR though. I would say that it still has a chance to do so, but admittedly things are looking a bit more grim this morning track wise. It appears as if the 12z guidance has initialized with a projected center closer to the mid-level circulation that we saw yesterday and should it be able to organize some today it would then have the diurnal max coming up tonight while still over water. 

05L_tracks_latest.png

Puerto Rico does have some higher terrain but it's not the mountainous region that Hispaniola contains. The center would also likely be spending less than 12 hours overhead so I am not that worried about it surviving the trip. It needs to miss the DR though. I would say that it still has a chance to do so, but admittedly things are looking a bit more grim this morning track wise. It appears as if the 12z guidance has initialized with a projected center closer to the mid-level circulation that we saw yesterday and should it be able to organize some today it would then have the diurnal max coming up tonight while still over water. 

05L_tracks_latest.png

There appears to be a good cluster on the extreme north side of the islands at least.

Archived