joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Erika

mappy

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I see people bringing up diurnal max, I assume that the system is in trouble. And I don't even know what diurnal max is, I just associate it with the winter storm equivalent of "it will manufacture its own cold air" when people are grasping at straws on a system.

http://weather.about.com/od/temperatures/a/Diurnal-Cycle.htm

The Diurnal cycle certainly is not made up. You tend to hear about it when tropical cyclones are struggling to develop deep convection. The maximum occurs at night and that's typically why you will see a big flare up in the late afternoon and peaking in the early morning hours.

http://weather.about.com/od/temperatures/a/Diurnal-Cycle.htm

The Diurnal cycle certainly is not made up. You tend to hear about it when tropical cyclones are struggling to develop deep convection. The maximum occurs at night and that's typically why you will see a big flare up in the late afternoon and peaking in the early morning hours.

I don't think he was saying it was made up. He was simply saying if people are mentioning it there's a good chance that means the storm is struggling a bit perhaps. 

I don't think he was saying it was made up. He was simply saying if people are mentioning it there's a good chance that means the storm is struggling a bit perhaps. 

It's doing pretty much exactly as expected/forecasted with typical track wobbles. Erika has had virtually no chance to become a cane until the storm moves past the DR and NHC has been spot on the whole time. 

Now what us weenies are hoping for is something different. lol. Right now all we can do is hope the center stays north of the mountains of the DR. That would be a setback for sure. Once the center moves into a low shear environment near the bahamas we could get a glimpse of the rapid development/stacking that we are all salivating for. But any chance of that is a few days away and unfortunately there's a good chance things get worse before they get better. 

It's doing pretty much exactly as expected/forecasted with typical track wobbles. Erika has had virtually no chance to become a cane until the storm moves past the DR and NHC has been spot on the whole time. 

Now what us weenies are hoping for is something different. lol. Right now all we can do is hope the center stays north of the mountains of the DR. That would be a setback for sure. Once the center moves into a low shear environment near the bahamas we could get a glimpse of the rapid development/stacking that we are all salivating for. But any chance of that is a few days away and unfortunately there's a good chance things get worse before they get better. 

I'm not sold it misses DR - with this south adjustment (and it could still reform even further south perhaps) it'll have to be a thread the needle. I think we can sustain a bit if interaction with the landmass but not a full on track over it. 

Since nobody really gave an actual explanation, I'll try to briefly summarize. Diurnal max would be the time of day that tropical systems have their highest potential for strengthening (late afternoon I think?) and diurnal min would be the time of night when tropical systems would most likely weaken. If someone wants to get more technical, please do!

Another important part of the max is the location irt the center of circ. When it's displaced (likes it's been the last couple days) it doesn't really mean all that much compared to when the max is centered. You still want to see healthy convection of course but it's hard to get excited until things start to work in unison. 

This is the one time I'm hoping for dissipation.  Myrtle Beach late next week.  Booyah! 

I'm not sold it misses DR - with this south adjustment (and it could still reform even further south perhaps) it'll have to be a thread the needle. I think we can sustain a bit if interaction with the landmass but not a full on track over it. 

Crawl walk and run right? As long as there is defined circulation and not an open wave when the storm moves towards the bahamas then it shouldn't be too hard to get a hurricane going. As far as getting some sort of impact in our area goes...total la la land and way to much has to happen first. 

Ens still don't really show any obvious steering features from hr 144+. Assuming there is a cane east of FL somewhere, the track is wide open and forward motion looks slow unless things change (which they probably will). Euro and GEFS look pretty similar @ 144

ecmwf-ens_z500a_atl_7.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_atl_7.png

H5 and MSLP plots imply a slow walk into the SE coast somewhere and the MSLP plots show a bit of a wall from easy northward progress. The models showing a stall and slow spinning death are reasonable solutions but who the heck knows. 

11 A.M. Ensembles support NHC's track.

at201505_ensmodel.gif

most start north of where it is too. i mean eventually it'll come north but they have an almost due NW motion immediately. so far it's been mostly chugging west plus the center adjustment south. 

Yes. That was my tongue - in -cheek - sorta, point. It is a  thing - but if I see people talking about it - it is usually because they are trying to breathe life into a ragged system. Anecdotal observation, that's all.

Archived