wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Danny and the beginning of Erika

Windman18

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lights are starting to dim for Danny. Might be time for one of the mets to deliver last rites.  :cry:

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Shear is decreasing and water temps are increasing. I'll admit though that Danny has a very small chance of impacting the US as much more than a remnant low. At least we still have 98L right on Danny's heels.

Danny never really had a chance to impact land. We'll have to see how shear impacts future systems. The wave behind Danny will probably be a named storm inside of 72 hours. It's a long ways out but the pattern being advertised in a week to 10 days isn't a recurve pattern at all. 

You sure?  Last week Twitter posts had this thing hitting every major city in the US.  Even Minneapolis.

Likely fish with a small chance of U.S. impact? That thing really gets going out in the Atlantic though... 950mb.

I will say that while most members are OTS, there are more of them this last run that take a swipe at the coast.

98L_gefs_latest.png

98L_geps_latest.png

It'll change a bunch, i'm sure we will get a few runs with it in the Gulf too. 

Are you new here? We have plenty of threads that get recycled into new ones when a new threat arises. 

Hopefully you knew what i meant - recycling I'm fine with but the naming is very odd. Usually if we do a general thread/recycling we chance the subtitle but the main thread title will be something like "General Tropics Thread"

Hopefully you knew what i meant - recycling I'm fine with but the naming is very odd. Usually if we do a general thread/recycling we chance the subtitle but the main thread title will be something like "General Tropics Thread"

So make the damn thread then

Erika has arrived.

000WTNT45 KNHC 250246TCDAT5TROPICAL STORM ERIKA DISCUSSION NUMBER   1NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL0520151100 PM AST MON AUG 24 2015Satellite imagery, buoy observations, and a very recent ASCAT passsuggest that the circulation associated with the area of lowpressure over the tropical Atlantic has become better defined.Deep convection also became better organized during the afternoonand has persisted in a band over the southeastern portion of thecirculation this evening.  The NOAA buoy reported peak south-southwesterly winds of 39 kt, and a minimum pressure of 1004 mb.Based on these data, advisories are being initiated on a 40-kttropical storm.  Erika becomes the 5th tropical storm of the 2015Atlantic hurricane season.During the next couple of days, Erika will be moving through anenvironment characterized by warm water, a moist air mass, andgenerally low vertical wind shear.  These factors should allowstrengthening.  After 48 hours, Erika will be approaching anupper-level low/trough that is forecast to be near Hispaniola, whichis expected to cause an increase in westerly wind shear.  The NHCintensity forecast calls for steady intensification during thenext 48 hours, and is close to the SHIPS model and intensityconsensus.  After that time, the intensity guidance diverges withthe statistical guidance and the HWRF bringing Erika to hurricanestrength.  Meanwhile, the ECMWF and GFS weaken the system in about3 days, due to the increasing shear. The NHC intensity forecast isbetween these scenarios and shows no change in strength after 48hours.  Due to the large spread in the intensity guidance, theintensity forecast at days 3-5 is of low confidence.Erika is moving quickly westward across the tropical Atlantic or275/17 kt.  The tropical cyclone is forecast to move westward towest-northwestward to the south of a deep-layer ridge over thecentral Atlantic during the next few days.  The forward speed ofErika should gradually decrease as the cyclone nears the westernportion of the ridge.  The track guidance is tightly clusteredthrough 72 hours, with more spread after that time.  Thebifurcation appears to be the result of the future strength ofErika.  The models that have a deeper depiction of the cyclone showmore of a northwestward turn late in the period, while the modelsthat weaken Erika indicate a more westward motion.  The NHC forecastis close to the ECMWF and GFS ensemble mean, which is south of theconsensus but not as far south as the GFS.FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDSINIT  25/0300Z 14.4N  47.7W   40 KT  45 MPH 12H  25/1200Z 14.9N  50.1W   45 KT  50 MPH 24H  26/0000Z 15.8N  53.3W   50 KT  60 MPH 36H  26/1200Z 16.5N  56.4W   55 KT  65 MPH 48H  27/0000Z 17.1N  59.6W   60 KT  70 MPH 72H  28/0000Z 18.5N  64.5W   60 KT  70 MPH 96H  29/0000Z 20.5N  69.5W   60 KT  70 MPH120H  30/0000Z 22.0N  73.0W   60 KT  70 MPH$$Forecaster Brown

Archived