joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Danny and the beginning of Erika

Windman18

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like if this storm stays relatively weaker over these next few days it has a greater chance of impacting the US but if it turns stronger then it will likely curve n and then nne out to sea once it passes the islands.

IIRC, those are the two "classic" CV storm options.  Strong tropical cyclones with higher tops get caught in the westerlies and shunted out to sea.  The smaller cyclones, on the other hand, can avoid gaining latitude quicker and getting brushed into the open Atlantic.

The NHC did cite internal organization as a factor in allowing Danny to effectively cycle out dry air, I'm just not sure how well it can do with more dry air expected the next few days.

Agreed, this thing is facing some noteworthy adversity (dry air and shear) in the coming days.  Hard to get excited over anything with this, and I just saw the NHC has reduced the intensity forecast for Danny.

In the super long term fantasy land of the GFS I see Danny passing between outer banks and Bermuda as a TS or Hurricane during the week of September 1st.  

That track is the holy grail for swell chasers/ surfers like  myself.  Thats like Hurricane Bill 2009 material.... 

I need to schedule time off.  

I know it is fantasy land.. but if it does happen.. do you guys think thats a realistic time frame?  I have a hunch it would be a little earlier than that... but I dont really know anything.  

In the super long term fantasy land of the GFS I see Danny passing between outer banks and Bermuda as a TS or Hurricane during the week of September 1st.

That track is the holy grail for swell chasers/ surfers like myself. Thats like Hurricane Bill 2009 material....

I need to schedule time off.

I know it is fantasy land.. but if it does happen.. do you guys think thats a realistic time frame? I have a hunch it would be a little earlier than that... but I dont really know anything.

Great video. I've been chasing swells for 20 years (not so much lately). I even lived at the beach (Fenwick island) for 5 years. It was great. Did lots of surfing. Nothing better then a south ground swell from a hurricane. This storm doesn't look promising as far as swell goes. Way to hostile out there. It's been years since anything in the Atlantic looked decent. 1995 was epic. Consistent big swell and lots of great local conditions.

I never followed wave action with tropical. What do you need for ideal conditions?

I ideal set up would be a cat4 steaming up from the south. I like when the strong storms pass near Bermuda as they head north. Locally, I like to see a typical summer forecast. Calm, hazy, warm mornings with a light west wind. The west wind grooms the surf and causes the wave to barrel. Surfing is like playing with weather. You can actually feel the power of natural. It's a really amazing experience, especially for someone that's in touch with nature (like the people in this forum).

Archived