• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Danny and the beginning of Erika

Windman18

Do you remember a lot of hype with Hannah '08? There was little fanfare about its landfall even with forecasts up to hurricane strength. A T.S. forecast isn't going to do much to generate hype, especially since we've already had two landfalling T.S.'s this season. 

Quite a bit different environment now than even then. Shoot a hurricane in the middle of the ocean that has yet to have any modeling threat toward the US gets huge headlines now. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a bit different environment now than even then. Shoot a hurricane in the middle of the ocean that has yet to have any modeling threat toward the US gets huge headlines now. 

I guess given the proliferation of social media platforms, that must be the case. I'm still stuck in the last decade, I guess, with no twitter account, instagram page, etc. :)

Actually I remember quite a bit of hype with Hannah- Maryland declared a state of emergency and the storm was all over the news. Huge bust though.

It matched the forecast strength, track, and conditions pretty much right on--- prepare for a tropical storm was the message, and that was what happened. For our market, WJLA was the only network to go with wall-to-wall coverage, which I agree was maybe excessive. 

I guess given the proliferation of social media platforms, that must be the case. I'm still stuck in the last decade, I guess, with no twitter account, instagram page, etc. :)

Social is ridiculous with this stuff.. but there's also simply a ton more media covering weather now than there used to be. Even just in the last 2-3 years it has exploded as all the newer media orgs found out weather is good for hits. So much of the stuff covered widely now would have been back page news, if that, in the past. 

Social is ridiculous with this stuff.. but there's also simply a ton more media covering weather now than there used to be. Even just in the last 2-3 years it has exploded as all the newer media orgs found out weather is good for hits. So much of the stuff covered widely now would have been back page news, if that, in the past. 

Well the net positive for you guys is it gets a blog like CWG an NPR gig. Congrats, BTW. I didn't know about it until Marcus heard your forecast.

Do you think it's overall a negative or positive to have this much weather exposure? 

Well the net positive for you guys is it gets a blog like CWG an NPR gig. Congrats, BTW. I didn't know about it until Marcus heard your forecast.

Do you think it's overall a negative or positive to have this much weather exposure? 

thx.. something new/different. I only do Friday mornings unless filling in as of now. Whoever edits the night prior does the next day and then Jason/Angela do afternoons as well. Not sure on exposure.. I don't think it's necessarily hurting anything but it's very crowded now and people definitely go a bit more to extremes to sell stuff than they should. It does seem we're about at peak coverage... any more might not be helpful. 

They're slowly coming around to a northern track--it seems like the spaghetti models keep ticking north and they are still on the southern end of the guidance envelope because of the globals. Speaking of, clearly there is value to them, the NHC wouldn't be using them otherwise, but why aren't they tossed? Is it because they have a higher resolution and are better at looking at long term large scale features? They've been wrong on intensity, they're probably going to be wrong on track, I'm just not sure what kind of value they are adding. They only thing they have going for them is that they're consistent. The spaghetti models are still pretty volatile. 

04L_tracks_latest.png

My only guess as to why they don't toss the globals is because they have had their moments of accuracy in the past (Euro with sandy, GFS with Irene). I think the NHC put out a pretty good track this morning though, looks like they were heavily relying on the spaghetti models.

The Euro and GGEM are interesting for next week. Euro has a storm East of the Bahamas in 6 days with a ridge overhead and a homebrew storm further North that's recurving. GGEM has it too.

Most interesting setup since Hurricane Dean in 2007. Hurricane Irene a distant second. In addition, we have record or near-record warm SSTs across the East Coast.

URNT12 KNHC 221850

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL042015

A. 22/18:18:00Z

B. 15 deg 44 min N

052 deg 41 min W

C. 700 mb 3080 m

D. 67 kt

E. 059 deg 2 nm

F. 144 deg 49 kt

G. 052 deg 3 nm

H. 996 mb

I. 12 C / 3051 m