joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all we had was one event a year, and it was like jan 88, I would take it! The powder, temps in teens, long duration , on the ground for like 2 weeks, it could be 70 every other day of the winter! I will never see another event like that in my life in the Carolinas , but will remember it my whole life!

Don't be so quick to right it off. I know we have to go a long time sometimes but sooner or later we land another one for the record books. I've seen a few of them.

If temperatures end up below normal with a nino of this strength...

You said it...be nice if it was right, the mountain/foothills better start buying a snow shovels or even blowers.

Edit:  Also meant to say it looks fairly close to the Euro seasonal.

2cat_20151001_z500_months35_north_americ

Looking at this chart some more, that's hard to believe, almost up to 3C for average.  It did fairly good last year with enso strength.

With us getting closer, you would think that it would be backing off some.  Bottom line, this nino is probably going to be in a grouping with the strongest of all time....along with 97-98, 82-83, 1888-1889, 1877-1878

Looking at this chart some more, that's hard to believe, almost up to 3C for average. It did fairly good last year with enso strength.

I wish thet showed all ENSO regions. One strange observation, I've noticed the models with the strongest Nino's have been the colder models for winter: UKMET, NASA GEOS, CMC.1 & CMC.2

All of thosE models with the exception of UKMET, have Basinwide warming...all the way west of dateline. I'm wondering if that & continued +PDO are main reasons for cold eastern winter outputs

I wish thet showed all ENSO regions. One strange observation, I've noticed the models with the strongest Nino's have been the colder models for winter: UKMET, NASA GEOS, CMC.1 & CMC.2

All of thosE models with the exception of UKMET, have Basinwide warming...all the way west of dateline. I'm wondering if that & continued +PDO are main reasons for cold eastern winter outputs

Keeping the +PDO is nice to see, lots of smart people are hell bent on that eroding by winter, we shall see.  The UK has it basin wide?  Or is it further west on other models?  It does have 1.2 warmer in this run (Oct v/s Sept) but the warmest is centered at 135W give or take.

Better image added below, showing DJF showing 1.2 cooling, good look IMO...

2cat_20151001_sst_months24_global_deter_

2cat_20150901_sst_months46_pacific_deter

In terms of plumes, they have 3, 3.4, and 4 - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/el-nino-la-nina

UKMet_4.png

Keeping the +PDO is nice to see, lots of smart people are hell bent on that eroding by winter, we shall see. The UK has it basin wide? Or is it further west on other models? It does have 1.2 warmer in this run (Oct v/s Sept) but the warmest is centered at 135W give or take.

2cat_20151001_sst_months24_global_deter_

The "blob" will & is eroding, BUT the fail to understand PDO will fall but likely be positive through most of winter.

The 500mb pattern that's developing has a super +PNA & a lot of ridging out west. If you check out Nino October's with a +PNA it has a colder winter for most of the east correlation

Would you rather get one big storm with at least a foot of snow, or 3 to 4 storms with 3 to 4 inches of snow each?

3 to 4 3-4" storms.  Half the fun is tracking.  Although you won't hear me complain about another 2002 redux, early  Jan 12" snow with torch thereafter.

3 to 4 3-4" storms.  Half the fun is tracking.  Although you won't hear me complain about another 2002 redux, early  Jan 12" snow with torch thereafter.

Well said sir, 3/4 snow events per year works fine for me otherwise I would move our base to Castleton. Snow events up there are often days not leaving the house.  

definitely a foot of snow because I haven't had more than 4 inches of snow in a single storm since 1993.

I concur. We've had many 3-4 inchers in the past but something of the magnitude of a foot down here is worthy of talk for generations. I'd probably die before it even happened if it were forecasted for my area again. Just doesn't happen down here. Honestly, in person, I'm not even sure I'd know what to do with myself if I witnessed such an event.

dude are you serious? I have had over 4 inches several times, including 6 inches in like 2002 or something

Obviously, different areas will always have different amounts. I don't think I've had over 6 inches in a storm since quite possibly as far back as the Blizzard of 93, while areas around me likely have had closer to 8, maybe even 10 since then. In January 2011 there was so much drifting that it was hard to get an accurate amount but if I've had more than 6 in a storm it was that storm.

dude are you serious? I have had over 4 inches several times, including 6 inches in like 2002 or something

I had 4 inches in 2002, 4 inches in 2010, 4 inches in 2011. I can't get over the 4 inch mark for some reason. There's been 6"+ snows south, east, north, and west of me but my area has been very unlucky.

Archived