• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I still go back and look at my pics, and the threads on here. I know it may have been disappointing at times missing out, but you were a good sport and contributed which is appreciated.

I was looking through some radar loops I saved and I've got one where the only place in New England that it's snowing is like eastern Mass with all-day light snow. It looked like a radar where that persistent mood snow should be in the northern mountains, but somehow got relocated last February to Boston.

The big storms are epic but what really brings it into the next realm of winter-feel is when even BOS starts picking up the daily mood snows. The fluffy 1.8" type stuff. It's not a snowstorm but it all adds to the overall epic feel.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now data says no at Fort Kent in Jan 85 with the 5th being plus 8, yea CAR did not record entire months of AN in 2010,

Yup, not even close for Ft. kent.  I was referencing my personal records at FK, not the coop, and my 10 Januarys there had avg temp of 4.4.  Doesn't take much "warmth" to be AN in that kind of midwinter.  CAR did not have a full calendar month AN, but their consecutive AN days were well over a month's duration.  Except for 3 days, Mar 26-28, that were BN, they went nearly 10 weeks - Feb. 6 thru April 14 or 15, with AN after AN.  That was the year of the New Years' retro-bomb that ate winter.

I was looking through some radar loops I saved and I've got one where the only place in New England that it's snowing is like eastern Mass with all-day light snow. It looked like a radar where that persistent mood snow should be in the northern mountains, but somehow got relocated last February to Boston.

The big storms are epic but what really brings it into the next realm of winter-feel is when even BOS starts picking up the daily mood snows. The fluffy 1.8" type stuff. It's not a snowstorm but it all adds to the overall epic feel.

We had a lot of those. Pretty awesome, and a lot of it OES too down by me.

Same with you...it is always nice to see NNE people join in. As much as I joke about the picnic tables...we are all bonded by a sickness. :lol:

Same with you...it is always nice to see NNE people join in. As much as I joke about the picnic tables...we are all bonded by a sickness. :lol:

Its funny, as most of us are, I am pulled a hundred ways every day between, family  job and life with lots of decisions. Some involve decisions that affects others lively hoods and personal life. Pretty stressful at times. My way of dealing with that as I start to sleep is to either think about the weather exciting stuff coming up ( got nothing on that now lol) or reminisce about past events. I have so many different memories of this past winter and new ones pop up when you guys mention them. One of my fondest was the Feb day where it literally snowed for hours without a single cloud in the sky. About as cool an snow experience I can remember.

Bonded by a sickness we are haha. The picnic tables phrase has actually started to be good in that everyone knows it's code for "summit weather" or "where people don't live but you'll hear about it from PF like he does live there."

I probably spend more waking hours of my life above 2,000ft in elevation though, so I kinda love there in a sense :lol:.

Its funny, as most of us are, I am pulled a hundred ways every day between, family  job and life with lots of decisions. Some involve decisions that affects others lively hoods and personal life. Pretty stressful at times. My way of dealing with that as I start to sleep is to either think about the weather exciting stuff coming up ( got nothing on that now lol) or reminisce about past events. I have so many different memories of this past winter and new ones pop up when you guys mention them. One of my fondest was the Feb day where it literally snowed for hours without a single cloud in the sky. About as cool an snow experience I can remember.

I am pretty sure the long duration storm beat the blizzard where I was. Pretty incredible to say that.

What day was that? I think it might have been after the blizzard? Are you referring to the wind after the 2/16 storm?

I am pretty sure the long duration storm beat the blizzard where I was. Pretty incredible to say that.

What day was that? I think it might have been after the blizzard? Are you referring to the wind after the 2/16 storm?

It was after the blizzard, just started snowing out of the blue, want to say Mid Feb. I will look back when I get home

It was after the blizzard, just started snowing out of the blue, want to say Mid Feb. I will look back when I get home

I have an idea of the event your talking about. Also had one that dropped into SE mass late evening sometime during February that dropped a solid 2-3" out of nowhere.

Seems like that happened a few times this year

The Super Bowl storm was a good one here. Never changed over. We pinged for 10 minutes maybe..... That storm (even though they all seemed to) exceeded expectations more than any other event we had.

I have an idea of the event your talking about. Also had one that dropped into SE mass late evening sometime during February that dropped a solid 2-3" out of nowhere.

Seems like that happened a few times this year

Those are the standard of a good winter...when those 2-4" falls come out of no where. Those are one of the things I love about the mountains, it can snows with very little reason in the right pattern, so surprise snow events are possible. That joy you felt as a kid when you woke up to 4-6" with none in the forecast, can still happen.

Heaviest snow I have ever driven in.

That storm shafted the sh!t out of us. Parts of NJ to my west and SW got into a decent deform band and ended up with i believe 6-8 inches. The band seemingly leapfrogged over us and hit eastern LI then after of course hammered you guys up there. Ended up with only an inch here

This is pretty exciting...going to be doing some freelance weather writings for about $12/HR!  Will be a pretty cool gig I have while being at school...between that and working for my friend's dad I should be in good shape financially and with little bills I can save a good deal of money.  

This is pretty exciting...going to be doing some freelance weather writings for about $12/HR!  Will be a pretty cool gig I have while being at school...between that and working for my friend's dad I should be in good shape financially and with little bills I can save a good deal of money.  

nice Wiz, 

Sounds like a cool deal congrats

This is pretty exciting...going to be doing some freelance weather writings for about $12/HR! Will be a pretty cool gig I have while being at school...between that and working for my friend's dad I should be in good shape financially and with little bills I can save a good deal of money.

This is pretty exciting...going to be doing some freelance weather writings for about $12/HR! Will be a pretty cool gig I have while being at school...between that and working for my friend's dad I should be in good shape financially and with little bills I can save a good deal of money.

Kudos - foot in the door is all it takes :)

Archived