e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
July Pattern and Disco- Shut Up and Dew With Me

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my favorite memories as a kid were laying in bed and watching the flashes out my window. Even 10-15 years ago now it seemed like we used to get them a couple times a summer. Now.....nothing.

The window in my bedroom used to be an unobstructed view to the west and even if we didn't get an actual storm I could enjoy a lightning barrage at least a few nights a summer. I don't know what has changed since then.

Some of my favorite memories as a kid were laying in bed and watching the flashes out my window.   Even 10-15 years ago now it seemed like we used to get them a couple times a summer.  Now.....nothing.

Absolutely. So many summer nights in the 80s on Fishers Island (hi Hoth!) being woken up by thunder. That's smack in the middle of LIS. Now it seems like any good storms are chewed up by the Sound. I'm sure nostalgia is clouding my memories but it definitely seems like the frequency isn't even close to what it used to be.

I'll be in MI next Tue-Sun. Hopefully I get to at least see a lightning flash. I haven't seen one yet this warm season. lol

We just got back from Disney and saw storms pretty much everyday from last Thursday to this Tuesday - lightening was unreal. I don't know if you guys saw the picture of lightening flashing through the sky over the Castle taken the night of July 3, it was widely redistributed, but we were hunkered down right behind the castle for that entire storm and saw many bolts just like that one; it was relentlesss for hours.

What was amazing to me was people walking around pushing strollers and using umbrellas while bolts of cloud to ground are hitting all over, it was as though they felt there was a protective bubble over the park

Your view

LOL, things go in cycles. I'm sure the folks in MVY are atill talking about the nighttime and early morning storms they had over the last few weeks. Luck of the draw, although convection overall last few years has been sort of quiet. Like winter, things just go in cycles sometimes.

Absolutely. So many summer nights in the 80s on Fishers Island (hi Hoth!) being woken up by thunder. That's smack in the middle of LIS. Now it seems like any good storms are chewed up by the Sound. I'm sure nostalgia is clouding my memories but it definitely seems like the frequency isn't even close to what it used to be.

we did have a lot more of warm front pushing off the sound overnight T storms during the positive EPO regime

We just got back from Disney and saw storms pretty much everyday from last Thursday to this Tuesday - lightening was unreal. I don't know if you guys saw the picture of lightening flashing through the sky over the Castle taken the night of July 3, it was widely redistributed, but we were hunkered down right behind the castle for that entire storm and saw many bolts just like that one; it was relentlesss for hours.

What was amazing to me was people walking around pushing strollers and using umbrellas while bolts of cloud to ground are hitting all over, it was as though they felt there was a protective bubble over the park

Since I moved down here I am amazed at the amount of lightning we receive, and like you said people here are oblivious when it comes to thunderstorms; walk outside like nothing is happening, crazy.

I'll be in MI next Tue-Sun. Hopefully I get to at least see a lightning flash. I haven't seen one yet this warm season. lol

I'm ahead of you - I've seen one!  23rd of last month, strike at 11 sec. distance was bright enough to note in daylight.  (I'm not counting what I saw in SNJ early on June 1.)  Prior to 6/23, the last flash I saw in Maine was August 14.

The number of days with thunder haven't varied all that much since I moved to my current home in 1998, or at least there's little trend.  However, without having kept count, the number of flashes/crashes per thunder day seems to have gone way down.  The events with a 30+ minute light show and dozens of strikes within 3 miles or less seem much less common than 10 yr ago.

Saw that Ryan ... almost a Sonoran release there up underneath in the 850's too...but that trough in the Canadian Rockies stops carving and when that happens the ridge stops building in the east.  Pretty direct wave space argument there...

anyway the impetus for advecting it NE collapses there after, but not entirely either.. 

I've seen two other modeling occurrences earlier this season, tho, so I'm going to go ahead and say it's going to go by the way of those pending any semblance of continuity.  

Archived