amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

87F high here. Haven't hit 90 in almost 3 weeks now. The next 7 days look to be 90F-free for most of us. Newark always tacks on the days in these borderline type patterns, while the rest of us lag behind. Still sitting at 4 90F days for the summer. I think the July 20th-August 10th could produce some legitimate heat as heights rise w/ the re-orientation of the mid level ridge.

Amazing how the park has gotten only 1 90 degree day while a mere 5 miles away im at 6 days

Very typical for the park to be lower the last bunch of years with the overgrowth..  LGA has been closer to the park the last 2 years due to wind more SSE... Its an accurate reading of its surroundings just a poor representation of NYC/NJ metro areas which are between 4 and 9 90(+) days.  Id vote SI or avg of EWR/NYC for a better city perception.

91 here today for 7th 90(+) of the season.

Tony - you're in Monroe Twp., correct? Your area / Middlesex County up through New Brunswick, Elizabeth, Edison, Newark seems to torch quite well, and ends up the hottest in the state usually. Could be the geography or different land use (more urban than here?). This will be the latest I've gone into July without a 90F day since July 2009. That July IIRC, most of us didn't hit 90 once. I don't see that being the case this month. Still think Jul 20-30 warms.

Tony - you're in Monroe Twp., correct? Your area / Middlesex County up through New Brunswick, Elizabeth, Edison, Newark seems to torch quite well, and ends up the hottest in the state usually. Could be the geography or different land use (more urban than here?). This will be the latest I've gone into July without a 90F day since July 2009. That July IIRC, most of us didn't hit 90 once. I don't see that being the case this month. Still think Jul 20-30 warms.

Iso.  yes I'm in Monroe, (southwest Middlesex on the border of Marlboro/Manalapan so to speak.)  Im surrounded by developments, farms much more rural than NB or Newark.   Only 2 90's here this July.  I noticed it's usually been a matter of a degree or two I think from my station to yours on some of the borderline days, though today a wider range.  Amazing stretch of normal temps (overall)  the last few weeks balanced by some warm and wetter/cooler days.  I hope youre right about the last 10 days of the month, still a bunch of uncertainty on the guidance.  

GFS OP still wants a heat wave from about 7/21-26 period, but CFS weeklies only show normal heights then.

Looks like normal or less than normal 500mb heights save us from heatwave as 850mb temps. coast along within 1SD of norms, according to the ensembles.   Heatwave definitely on for Gulf States/Mid-West/S.E.

GFS OP still wants a heat wave from about 7/21-26 period, but CFS weeklies only show normal heights then.

Looks like normal or less than normal 500mb heights save us from heatwave as 850mb temps. coast along within 1SD of norms, according to the ensembles.   Heatwave definitely on for Gulf States/Mid-West/S.E.

The three strongest developing El Niño events (1972-73, 1982-83, and 1997-98) saw heat in the 2nd half of July.

90° or above days:

July 16-31, 1972: 8; Heatwave: 7/21-25

July 16-31, 1982: 7; Heatwaves 7/16-19 and 7/25-27

July 16-31, 1997: 2

Having said this, at least the 6z GFS may be a little overdone on the heat, as it is somewhat out of line with its ensembles.

Archived