• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 25-27 severe and heavy rain

Ian

The problem is that when we have the *risk* for clouds and junk around we tend to maximize the junk rather than the instability. All eyes are going to be on the rain tomorrow morning for sure. 

I'm having issues with that July 1997 date you mentioned. Do you have a link to a write up for that or a map? LWX didn't seem to have anything on their site. 

I dunno why I typed 1997.. triple tasking. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Historic_Events/tornadoes/JUL27-94.htm

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both June 1 2012 and July 27 1997 on list.. top two tornado days in MD. 

Idk if you saw but August 6, 1993 (perhaps the most infamous Virginia tornado day) is also on it.

You rarely see that high of a concentration of Mid Atlantic tornadoes with any analog set.

Idk if you saw but August 6, 1993 (perhaps the most infamous Virginia tornado day) is also on it.

You rarely see that high of a concentration of Mid Atlantic tornadoes with any analog set.

No didn't notice but makes sense. The other two stuck out have looked at Md records more for some reason.

It is quite solid. I'd imagine some spot in the region will do 'well'.

No didn't notice but makes sense. The other two stuck out have looked at Md records more for some reason.

It is quite solid. I'd imagine some spot in the region will do 'well'.

I'd like to know how much CAPE was involved in that setup since I was looking at NARR and it appears that the mid levels (at least at 700 mb) were quite moist for that event, suggesting the lapse rates weren't exactly stellar.

I think you may be right.   You can see it in the morning precip which is really shifted to the northwest now.   Warm front doesn't get a good push north, and the cold front is way back west at 00z.

New NAM not really in the right direction. Wonder if the 500 low is ending up just a bit too slow/west. 

New NAM not really in the right direction. Wonder if the 500 low is ending up just a bit too slow/west. 

Yeah looks meh. Seems like SW (drying) winds could mitigate any developing instability in the warm sector ( such that it is) tomorrow afternoon. I expect a fail :P

Let's hope it's wrong...

Well it lags the Euro and the GFS by a decent bit and they are very close and in a better spot. I'd often tend to weight the NAM in this range but you'd think they would handle the 500 low position better overall. If NAM was faster it would help draw things north better. I'd be tempted to wait out the 0z NAM at least before making any grand conclusions about it.

I am mainly expecting a dreary, overcast day with multiple bursts of mod/heavy rain on a coolish E,NE wind tomorrow. I only made it to 75 for the high today.....Mapgirl prepare for a dank, dark drenching.

Yeah, I am. It's okay, will make the most if it. Told the family to bring dominos and card games. Will move the grill under the canopy so we can still have burgers, and beer, there will be beer. Not gonna let a deluge ruin my birthday fun

NAM back east a bit with 500 low and such but it also has rain most of the day. CONUS radar suggests that's a possibility heh.

Yup. And that's probably what will happen. Some of the local LWX models (hehe I know) suggest a lot of rain throughout the day too but still manage to convect in a big way even into Maryland. I don't buy that at all. Let's trend to gametime? woostorms?

The Tstorm over the western Philly suburbs takes the bizarre award for tonight.

And it keeps getting stranger, 6" pixels are adjacent to 1" pixels, it doesn't appear to be moving or weakening.  Hopefully it moves 1 friggen mile before somebody breaks 10" on a 10% chance of a shower forecast.

Archived