• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 23rd Enhanced Risk

mappy

Beautiful ambient light as the sun sets and as the storm passes. Lots of mammatus clouds to the east and south. I don't know whether it's because it's near the longest day of the year, or the way the storm clouds to the east and south are reflecting the setting sun, but it just does not look like this outside that often in our area. Everything looks like it's been sprayed with gold.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful ambient light as the sun sets and as the storm passes. Lots of mammatus clouds to the east and south. I don't know whether it's because it's near the longest day of the year, or the way the storm clouds to the east and south are reflecting the setting sun, but it just does not look like this outside that often in our area. Everything looks like it's been sprayed with gold.

Here in Pikesville/Greenspring - it was an amazing sunset color.  The light was like looking through yellow sunglasses, greens were amazing.  I was wondering what caused that kind of light.  

Wife said power has been out since 7. I was in the way home from Crystal City around then - exited the HOV lane at Edsall Road and got blasted by torrential rains, some minor hail, and really nice gusts.

Neighbor has four trees down, and there are a lot of smaller limbs down all around. Totaled just under and inch - I'll call it 0.97".

Power better come back on. I hate being on a grid that goes down like [a lead balloon].

I'm not a big sunset guy but that one was about as good as I've seen in DC. Of course I had to have dinner with Randy and Matt instead of taking pics. :P

The storms... were better north heh.

Weird storm, didn't reach severe criteria here but came respectably close.

Outflow came in first, was a hot/dry wind at 25-35mph. After 10-15 minutes of dry heaving, the rain came in on a burst of wind from the NW, around 40mph, before going 100% calm while it poured. Then after about 10 minutes, it came roaring back from the N/NE, closer to 50mph this time. Sent a few limbs flying, then went calm again as abruptly as it began. Rain continued for 15-20 minutes.

.65", decent winds, lightning and close to 10 minutes of hail.  Areas to my SE will do better as per usual it seems.

5.4" for the month, nice reversal from May.  Looks like more to come.

Only hit 94 on the PWS, but see JYO put up a 97* ob.  Must have been for a few minutes when the sun fully came out.  Could have been so much hotter today with less high cloud cover.

JYO runs hot.  In this case, I'd trust the PWS.

Glad I wasn't a jinx for being interested.  We had over 50 reports of wind damage in the county, 45 traffic signals out and over 15,000 people without power.  The hail reports from Baltimore and Harford were pretty decent too...but when you have decent shear, CAPE and mid level lapse rates that's expected.  Hopefully tomorrow pans out and we get hit again.  Not too confident though.

Archived