A-L-E-K

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

724 PM CDT SAT JUN 13 2015  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0700 PM FLASH FLOOD MORRIS 41.37N 88.43W  

06/13/2015 GRUNDY IL 911 CALL CENTER  

NUMEROUS ROADS FLOODED AND IMPASSABLE IN TOWN AND OVER  

NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE COUNTY. DISPATCHER TOO BUSY TO  

GIVE LIST OF SPECIFIC ROADS  

Just thinking about the potential tropical disturbance getting involved down the line...there's been some interesting research on tropical system decay/maintenance over land.  Basically it's been suggested that there's potential to weaken more slowly when certain conditions are in place, one of which is wet soil as that sort of acts as a continued source of energy (although obviously there's nothing that can replace having a big body of water).  Given how wet it's been in the southern Plains and now in our region, have to wonder if that may end up being a factor but then again, how developed of a system there is at landfall is still a question.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI
913 PM EDT SAT JUN 13 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
  CALHOUN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL MICHIGAN...

* UNTIL 1015 PM EDT

* AT 913 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR
  BURLINGTON...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

The ole lady and I decided to intercept those storms in southern Calhoun county. I'm on P Drive South just north of Tekonsha. Storm has weakened considerably. No reports of any wind damage or hail down here, however judging by earlier scans I'm sure there was at least SOME hail.

Same as earlier, the storm outran the WF.

The latter hours of the NAM is usually a phrase that spells failure...that being said, it has a tongue of pwats in the 2.25-2.5" range entering the Ohio Valley by the end of the run.  That's probably record territory for June if it pans out.

0z GFS is slower with the gulf low and also farther south. Looks like it turns east through the TN Valley.

00z UKMET still has it in the Ohio Valley at 144 hours.  Not sure how good of a model it is for these situations.  I know the NAM is generally an awful tropical model. 

00z UKMET still has it in the Ohio Valley at 144 hours.  Not sure how good of a model it is for these situations.  I know the NAM is generally an awful tropical model. 

0z GGEM looks similar but a bit quicker. GFS looking like its on its own this set of runs.

If that thing screws up the severe potential next week, ugh...

Archived