amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 10-20 Heavy Rain/Storms/Remnants

A-L-E-K

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro tracks the troical Low through the heart of IL/IN/OH.

I suspect it will be a bit left of that as the front slows down before picking it up. Not to mention that the ridge along the east coast is forecast to strengthen a bit during the week before the system moves in.

A couple wet months of somewhat recent vintage.  How will June 2015 stack up when it's over?

attachicon.gifJul03PDataMRCC.png

attachicon.gifSep08PDataMRCC.png

Remember '08 specifically well. Was living in Peoria and manhole covers were shooting off as geysers erupted, and the river flooded significantly. Had to use a series of scaffolding catwalks to get to the former Old Chicago to drink some brews.

Remember '08 specifically well. Was living in Peoria and manhole covers were shooting off as geysers erupted, and the river flooded significantly. Had to use a series of scaffolding catwalks to get to the former Old Chicago to drink some brews.

2008 had multiple tropical systems and a wavering frontal boundary...the remnants of Ike were the knockout blow so to speak.  Terrible flooding in NW IN...I personally know people who lost their houses.

So i'm guessing there would possibly be a severe threat to the south and east of the low track?

Could be.  Instability is almost always a question mark in these setups but the system seems to maintain a good amount of low level shear as it moves through.

Looks like the far SE corner of Michigan and the Ohio border counties have a Severe T-Storm watch until 9PM. I missed that totally amongst all of the rain. Plus most of Indiana, Ohio...

Unless more action develops upstream, that will likely be cancelled shortly for us.

Interesting...

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
308 PM EDT SUN JUN 14 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
  NORTHERN MONROE COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN...
  NORTHEASTERN LENAWEE COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN...
  SOUTHWESTERN WAYNE COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN...
  SOUTHEASTERN WASHTENAW COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN...

* UNTIL 415 PM EDT

* AT 308 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR SALINE...
  MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING AND TREES.

* THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...
  MILAN AND DUNDEE AROUND 320 PM EDT.
  WILLIS AROUND 325 PM EDT.
  MAYBEE AROUND 330 PM EDT.
  CARLETON AROUND 340 PM EDT.
  FLAT ROCK AROUND 345 PM EDT.
  TRENTON AND GROSSE ILE AROUND 355 PM EDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM INCLUDEWOODHAVEN...RIVERVIEW...RIDGEWAY...WOODLAND BEACH...MACON...WILLOW...BROWNSTOWN TOWNSHIP...AZALIA...WALTZ AND BRIDGEWATER.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF ABUILDING.TORRENTIAL RAINFALL IS OCCURRING WITH THIS STORM...AND MAY LEAD TOFLASH FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS.&&LAT...LON 4195 8401 4218 8395 4219 8314 4212 8313      4209 8315 4210 8318 4218 8315 4211 8319      4203 8318 4203 8320 4202 8318 4203 8317      4201 8317 4202 8321 4199 8321 4197 8325      4192 8327 4194 8331 4191 8334TIME...MOT...LOC 1908Z 269DEG 38KT 4209 8381TORNADO...POSSIBLEHAIL...<.75INWIND...60MPH$$

ILN finally mentions the tropical low.

FOR THURSDAY INTO SATURDAY...FOCUS THEN SHIFTS TO THE WESTERN GULF
COAST WHERE AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER MAY BECOME A TROPICAL
SYSTEM BEFORE IT MOVES ONSHORE SOMEWHERE IN ERN TX. GIVEN THE HIGH
DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY...MODELS ARE STRUGGLING ON THE TIMING AND HOW
FAR NORTH AND NORTHEAST THIS ENERGY WILL ROTATE AROUND THE UPPER
LEVEL RIDGE ANCHORED OVER THE SOUTHEAST U.S. SO...FOR THE TIME
BEING...HAVE KEPT A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS GOING
THROUGH THIS PERIOD WITH A FRONTAL BOUNDARY NEAR BY/WEAK
DISTURBANCES WITHIN THE MID LVL FLOW...WHICH WOULD FAVOR THE DIURNAL
CYCLE. HOWEVER...WE MUST CONTINUE TO WATCH THE DISTURBED TROPICAL
SYSTEM AND WHETHER IT MAY MOVE ACRS THE OHIO FRIDAY OR SATURDAY.
THE HEAVY RAIN THREAT WILL CONTINUE WITH HIGH PWATS.

You might have to take a boat back to IKK if you're here for a while.

Drive back today was revealing. Lots of water standing in fields and ditches, between IKK and LAF. And the Iroquois River is big time out of it's banks. More rainfall not going to help things.

Can second your comment Chicago Wx as I drove down I-65 from Highland to Fortville IN yesterday afternoon.  River and bottomland flooding which will only be exacerbated with the oncoming rains before we even receive moisture from the tropical system.  85/69 here currently with scattered clouds and sunshine.

Yeah Indystorm, it's impressively wet already in places...with more (much?) to go.

My latest p&c through Thursday. Wash, rinse, repeat. Don't think I've seen that many consecutive "heavy rain" icons before...and with higher POPs to boot.

mcd1019.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1019   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0314 PM CDT SUN JUN 14 2015   AREAS AFFECTED...CENTRAL/NRN PORTIONS OF INDIANA AND OH...SERN LOWER   MI...NWRN PA   CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 299...   VALID 142014Z - 142215Z   THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 299   CONTINUES.   SUMMARY...THE RISK FOR DAMAGING WINDS CONTINUES WITH THE STRONGEST   STORMS WITHIN THE WATCH AREA.   DISCUSSION...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WERE IN PROGRESS AT 2010Z   ACROSS WW 299...WITH THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OVER   WEST-CENTRAL/NORTHERN INDIANA AND SOUTHEAST LOWER MICHIGAN/NORTHERN   OHIO WHERE LOW-LEVEL CONFLUENCE WAS MAXIMIZED.  THE OVERALL   ENVIRONMENT REMAINS SUPPORTIVE OF ISOLATED TO WIDELY SCATTERED   DAMAGING DOWNBURST WINDS WITH THE STRONGEST STORMS GIVEN THE VERY   MOIST ENVIRONMENT /PW VALUES APPROACHING 2 INCHES/...MLCAPE OF 1000   TO 1500 J/KG...AND 30-40 KT MID-LEVEL FLOW.  IN THE ABSENCE OF   LARGE-SCALE FORCING FOR ASCENT OVER THE WATCH AREA...ONLY A MODEST   INCREASE IN THUNDERSTORM COVERAGE IS ANTICIPATED. WHERE STORMS   CONGEAL INTO CLUSTERS OR SHORT LINES...THE THREAT FOR DAMAGING WINDS   MAY BE LOCALLY GREATER.   ..BUNTING.. 06/14/2015

Updated 7 day QPF looks like WPC favors a more southern track for the tropicl low.

p168i.gif?1434319469

I'm wondering how the speed may ultimately affect the track.  My initial thought was that a quicker system may track farther north but I'm not so sure.  Strength of the southeast ridge will be a key factor.

I'm wondering how the speed may ultimately affect the track.  My initial thought was that a quicker system may track farther north but I'm not so sure.  Strength of the southeast ridge will be a key factor.

I am thinking , how the Low interacts with the unstable boundary that is in place and somewhat stationary , will determine the placement of heavy precip, and track  ..I have no idea, just a guess

Looks like it initially moves farther west into central TX could just be me. 18z NAM at hour 84 has it near St. Louis and moving almost due east by that point.

Yeah, big timing differences.  These individual model solutions are not worth a whole lot at this point. 

Archived