• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 2015 Observation Thread

Isopycnic

I don't like the trajectory of these storms. Looks like they are getting pulled N and E by Bills remnants and not building that far S or W? I'm gonna say S of 85 stays dry and Shetleys house gets that precious 1/2 inch he's always talking about!

We already have .20 of rain today from 2 small showers.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the trajectory of these storms. Looks like they are getting pulled N and E by Bills remnants and not building that far S or W? I'm gonna say S of 85 stays dry and Shetleys house gets that precious 1/2 inch he's always talking about!

Edit: I might be wrong for once!? Line looking good!

I dunno I would be pretty excited if I lived where you do based on the radar loop I am watching, the upstate currently looks primed to get at least some rain....a for some a lot of rain

I dunno I would be pretty excited if I lived where you do based on the radar loop I am watching, the upstate currently looks primed to get at least some rain....a for some a lot of rain

Right now its looking pretty good for mby, but I've said that many times before and ended up with nada.  Hoping I can pick up a quick half inch before the weather turns even more miserable next week.  That line of convection is flying though so it may be tough.

Here we got 4000 scape, 3000 mcape, 1100 dcape, LI is -7/-8, the last few days have been similar but all our action has been after 9pm so we haven't really been able to tap this extreme instability and today looks to be the same.......if we could get something to trigger the storms right now they would be epic.....

Severe Thunderstorm Watch 318

< Previous WW   Public | Counties | Probabilities | Aviation | Warnings | Initial RADAR  
ww0318_radar_init_resize.gif Hazard Tornadoes EF2+ Tornadoes Likelihood Low Very Low Severe Wind 65 kt+ Wind Moderate Low Severe Hail 2"+ Hail Low Low
   SEL8   URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED   SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 318   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   325 PM EDT SAT JUN 20 2015   THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A   * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF      NORTH CAROLINA     SOUTHERN VIRGINIA     COASTAL WATERS   * EFFECTIVE THIS SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 325 PM UNTIL     1100 PM EDT.   * PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...     SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE     ISOLATED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE     A TORNADO OR TWO POSSIBLE   SUMMARY...STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN   COVERAGE AND INTENSITY WITHIN A MOIST/VERY UNSTABLE ENVIRONMENT THIS   AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING.   THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 75   STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 35 MILES SOUTH OF   DUBLIN VIRGINIA TO 50 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF RICHMOND VIRGINIA.    FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH   OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU8).   PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...   REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE   FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH   AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR   THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS   AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY   DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.   &&   OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 317...   AVIATION...A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT   TO 1.5 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 60   KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 500. MEAN STORM   MOTION VECTOR 24025.

I cant seem to get one in the afternoon when I really need it, its always later at night and I am sure we will see some lines move through at 10-11 tonight but dammit I wanna chill on the porch and drink some brews during a storm at a decent hr like 6-8 lol.

I like the night ones. About 6-7 years ago, there was a storm just south of us. It was late June, around 10:00 pm. The lightening was the most prolific I have ever seen. We turned all the lights in the house off and raised all of the blinds. You would have been able to read a book. The lightening was continuous and so amazingly bright. I'll never forget that. It must have been something, being underneath that storm.

I like the night ones. About 6-7 years ago, there was a storm just south of us. It was late June, around 10:00 pm. The lightening was the most prolific I have ever seen. We turned all the lights in the house off and raised all of the blinds. You would have been able to read a book. The lightening was continuous and so amazingly bright. I'll never forget that. It must have been something, being underneath that storm.

We had that last night for 30 mins it was like living in a strobe light, but to me the best is the leading edge of that shelf cloud coming in around 5pm and then getting a kick ass storm and then being able to see the sun set on the back of the thunderhead as it moves east...

I once saw a storm with tons of lightning in the top of it on the horizon and looked on radar and it was just offshore of Hatteras which is exactly 100 miles east of me...its cool to see those on days where they are really isolated and far off as the sun sets and the tops flicker....

We had that last night for 30 mins it was like living in a strobe light, but to me the best is the leading edge of that shelf cloud coming in around 5pm and then getting a kick ass storm and then being able to see the sun set on the back of the thunderhead as it moves east...

I once saw a storm with tons of lightning in the top of it on the horizon and looked on radar and it was just offshore of Hatteras which is exactly 100 miles east of me...its cool to see those on days where they are really isolated and far off as the sun sets and the tops flicker....

That sounds awesome. It's amazing sometimes how far away storms are that seem much closer. Maybe one day, we can sit on the porch and watch one. I drag the wife out when I know one is coming. She's like "meh". Lol!

Right now, I'm thinking about chasing this afternoon but I'm still waiting on whether I want to go after GSO area line or CLT area line. Plenty of time...

Would love to know if you can even keep up with these storms. They are screaming! No time to reposition. You either get in the correct path or its gone.

That sounds awesome. It's amazing sometimes how far away storms are that seem much closer. Maybe one day, we can sit on the porch and watch one. I drag the wife out when I know one is coming. She's like "meh". Lol!

Haha  over the years my wife has gotten pretty cool about it and now she sends me cloud pics if there is a tower going up near her at work etc......and she is totally about sitting on the porch drinking a beer during a storm....it took 15 yrs to get to this point though.

Maybe it's my imagination, but looking at the radar trends over the past 30 minutes to an hour it appears as though the cells over the mountains and Piedmont of NC jumped north pretty quickly and in some ways became less organized, rather than continuing to move on a more easterly, squall-like trajectory like they had been. Does anyone know why this might be? (I'm looking at you downeast!)

Edit: I also noticed the storms on the coastal plain seemed to diminish fairly quickly as well.

Archived