joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2015 Observation Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up 0.11".  Getting nickeled and dimed to death this summer.  Those 1"+ storms are a rarity these days.  There are signals of pattern change though so maybe we get some relief as we head into July.  I don't know how much more of this heat I can stand.  How did people survive (literally) without ac here?  I'm pretty sure if a lived here before ac was around I couldn't have slept at all.

Not a drop here of course and not really looking for any over then next week either. It will take a tropical system to get a widespread rain event anywhere in the I-85 corridor.  

The 18z GFS says that our 50-70% pops for Sat are wrong. Maybe they should be 20% at best in upstate SC. I'll be shocked if we are not in the abnormally dry region when the drought monitor updates tomorrow. We will probably at least be in severe drought by summers' end.

k9aa8.jpg

Lightning hit my house last night. A spark came out of the door knob area and made a static electric pop then immediately BAM!  I have lighting rods on top of the house.  This is the second time in a year that I've noticed a point blank strike.  It didn't mess up the computers at all as I was still typing.

Lightning hit my house last night. A spark came out of the door knob area and made a static electric pop then immediately BAM!  I have lighting rods on top of the house.  This is the second time in a year that I've noticed a point blank strike.  It didn't mess up the computers at all as I was still typing.

Properly installed lightning rods can end up saving you a lot of money.  The key words are, properly installed.

Get rid of the lightning rods man! Those things attract lightning! I had a neighbor who put lightning rods on his barn and the first summer his barn burned down due to a lightning strike.

No hail as of yet, even though the STW says it could happen, but the wind is crazy outside right now. Heavy rainfall that blows around in sheets. Lots of lightning and thunder too. Really dark outside, but that may be due to the time of day.

Man, my lawn needed this.

codnexlab.NEXRAD.GSP.N0Q.20150625.049.012ani.gif

Hit about 98 today and dry as Jonesville !

Cluster sure did weaken a bunch since 5:00 --- we're getting an occasional sprinkle. Took a photo right at sunrise of some mammatus clouds on the leading edge of the approaching showers... something I always thought was usually connected to a departing storm - at least in my own observations.

The hot bias of last week's GFS and Euro runs is showing itself now. Although still nasty hot and humid, it isn't nearly as hot as predicted. Of course, nonsense like the GFS' 113 at CHS was immediately dismissed as hogwash. The Euro had +28 C at 850 in some spots, which will predictably verify as quite a bit too hot. Today in SAV there are lots of clouds and showers/storms.

This has to be the most boringest weather on this entire planet of earth, unless hot weather is your thing.  Currently 97°.  Need to look up how many days in a row we have been over 95°.  CAPE is between 2000 and 3000 in the upstate, but substantially lower in the mountains.  Doubt we see any storms come off the mountains today.  There is a spot in the lower part of SC with CAPE around 5000.

This has to be the most boringest weather on this entire planet of earth, unless hot weather is your thing. Currently 97°. Need to look up how many days in a row we have been over 95°. CAPE is between 2000 and 3000 in the upstate, but substantially lower in the mountains. Doubt we see any storms come off the mountains today. There is a spot in the lower part of SC with CAPE around 5000.

It's all about the cap, ya heard! Isohomey and the gang mentioned it in their discussion , strong cap, but any storms that pop would be strong/severe

We'll be in some degree of drought by next week. By the way, Robert says upstate SC will see very little rain over the next 10 days. GSP has an 80% chance already for Sat, but I think that'll be 20% or less by the time Sat gets here. He also said that the heat will be back in a fairly big way in July. More and more like 1993 all the time.

Archived