wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 2015 Observation Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's my imagination, but looking at the radar trends over the past 30 minutes to an hour it appears as though the cells over the mountains and Piedmont of NC jumped north pretty quickly and in some ways became less organized, rather than continuing to move on a more easterly, squall-like trajectory like they had been. Does anyone know why this might be? (I'm looking at you downeast!)

Edit: I also noticed the storms on the coastal plain seemed to diminish fairly quickly as well.

A lot of it has to do with the flow around the rems of Bill as far as the storms moving northward some......the last few nights didn't get going good till after dark so who knows.....the latest HiRes runs don't really do it though mostly from Raleigh north through the NE corner of NC over the next 3-5 hrs.....there are boundries on radar west and east of the Triangle so anything can still happen.

A lot of it has to do with the flow around the rems of Bill as far as the storms moving northward some......the last few nights didn't get going good till after dark so who knows.....the latest HiRes runs don't really do it though mostly from Raleigh north through the NE corner of NC over the next 3-5 hrs.....there are boundries on radar west and east of the Triangle so anything can still happen.

Thanks for the answer! It just got really dark here and I'm hearing some thunder so I think you're right about those boundaries trying to make something happen.

Looks like one last gasp for us with that broken line of showers west of Fayetteville. Of course they have been saying all day that the best action would be in the NE corner of the state up into VA. There's been a couple tor warnings up in the DC area this evening.

Worst presentation of storms in the last 3 days and under a STW. Do we even know how to forecast weather anymore?

LOL. You were typing that at the exact same time of my previous post. They have been awful with regards to this the last couple of years. It is getting just as bad as when it comes to winter weather.

Wow Nam 4km showing cape values of +4500 j/kg over Mcdowell Co. in WNC tonight out in front of a potential MCS.  Don't think I have every seen cape showing up that high in that area.  Could be interesting late tonight but MCS's struggle to make it through the mountains on avg.

169evkx.jpg

Wow Nam 4km showing cape values of +4500 j/kg over Mcdowell Co. in WNC tonight out in front of a potential MCS.  Don't think I have every seen cape showing up that high in that area.  Could be interesting late tonight but MCS's struggle to make it through the mountains on avg.

169evkx.jpg

HRRR has a derecho dropping SSE tonight but it looks worse east of the mts I am not even sure you can get cape that high in the mts lol......

HRRR basically just shows a broken line of storms firing and dying along the outflow over and over again, not to organized or scary looking in NC....in fact we got no pops for rain today or tonight here.

HRRR has a derecho dropping SSE tonight but it looks worse east of the mts I am not even sure you can get cape that high in the mts lol......

HRRR basically just shows a broken line of storms firing and dying along the outflow over and over again, not to organized or scary looking in NC....in fact we got no pops for rain today or tonight here.

Yeah typically we just get some good lightning from these type systems and thats about it.  It looks like it pretty much goes poof after it hits the Apps which makes since given the history.  I read somewhere that only around 30% of MCS's/derecho's make it through the mountains here.  I think the NAM 4km is broken haha because I agree, I don't think you can get that high of CAPE in the mountains ha.

I just took a look at the HRRR just for the heck of it even though we had no pops.  There is a cluster that makes it to the SC/NC border at Spartanburg County, but never makes it into the upstate.  Cape is about half of what it was the past 2 days right now.

The GFS and Canadian models are showing a wetter and cooler period around next weekend.  Hoping that verifies after what will probably be the hottest week of the year so far.

I just took a look at the HRRR just for the heck of it even though we had no pops. There is a cluster that makes it to the SC/NC border at Spartanburg County, but never makes it into the upstate. Cape is about half of what it was the past 2 days right now.

The GFS and Canadian models are showing a wetter and cooler period around next weekend. Hoping that verifies after what will probably be the hottest week of the last 3 years!.

FYP! Looking forward to wetter times!

Archived