joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2015 Observation Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highway 64 train is really producing tonight. Can't wait to see the rainfall map for this tomorrow... nothing is dipping south.... a straight train west to east. Interesting and impressive radar imagery tonight.

I happen to be on the southern edge of that train, and I am getting a nice storm tonight.

Finally bout to get some rain!

We will not get good rain here for months it seems. You know when 2 storms get within 3 miles and hit the same spots and leave your area dry that you aren't getting rain anytime soon. Even a hurricane taking the path hugo  took would find someway to split around here I bet, leaving this area bone dry.

Besides continuing to develop at the western end, does it mean that the eastern end kind of disintegrate as it goes? 

No not really, if I had a radar loop to show you it would help but imagine a line of storms the form just to your east and start moving east and you think dang missed me again but then the western edge starts to move west and then you get also get hit, that's more what back building is.....

We will not get good rain here for months it seems. You know when 2 storms get within 3 miles and hit the same spots and leave your area dry that you aren't getting rain anytime soon. Even a hurricane taking the path hugo  took would find someway to split around here I bet, leaving this area bone dry.

Hang in there, we all know that feeling.

Pardon my newbie-ness, but what exactly is back-building?

Backbuilding can occur in a number of different scenarios such as the dryline "zippering" with a sagging cold front, but in this situation a stationary cell not associated with a front the storm likely produced a strong outflow boundary that propagated west due to a downburst. This fired new cells since southerly flow was in place at the surface and that brought moist inflow into the new perturbations. As these cells fired, they followed a similar path as the one before itdue to the consistent upper level steering currents. Keep in mind that once rain hits the ground, the wind(downburst) spreads out in all directions. This is where the outflow boundary developed from that produced the new cells and when it collided with the southerly surface flow, things exploded again. Here is a graphic that does a pretty good job of explaining it. I hope that helps explain and welcome to the board!!

29bbf6300eda5336120dcfee7eb8b50e.jpg

1.66" yesterday.

Had 1.22" in 15 minutes around 10-10:15pm. Saw some flooding in west durham while driving home from downtown durham. Look at the ridiculous Davis vp rain rates... +11" per hour? lol

Man I am glad to see this post haha. Way to many 0.00" obs at your location haha, glad you got hammered!

NAM 4k and HRRR suggest this afternoon and evening will play out very similar to last night in NC so expect to see slow moving storm clusters earlier out west and later in the central and eastern parts of the state.....also I would think if anything fires along the SC coast they will quickly go severe...parameters there are insanely high...Dcape is high again today and PWATS are really high so wet downburst will be likely with any storm...

NAM 4k and HRRR suggest this afternoon and evening will play out very similar to last night in NC so expect to see slow moving storm clusters earlier out west and later in the central and eastern parts of the state.....also I would think if anything fires along the SC coast they will quickly go severe...parameters there are insanely high...Dcape is high again today and PWATS are really high so wet downburst will be likely with any storm...

We finally got some rain last night.  Probably ended up between .5-1.0".  The lightening intensity was on the decline when they fired over my house, but it was nice to get some rain.  The leaves on my dogwoods and redbuds were starting to wilt.  The river birches have dropped a ton of leaves.

Archived