joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2015 Observation Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got about 2 drops here, while spots less than 3 miles away got over .50. It's still over 90 here too. It's worth repeating. My location will NOT get more than .25 in any 24 hour period until maybe October or November without a cat 1 or 2 hurricane hitting the GA or SC coast or the Fla panhandle.

Well thats 2 more drops than ive seen in forever. 

Right now I look to be in the bullseye for these storms, however I recall many times over the last few years I thought for sure I was going to get a nice storm to only get screwed by a last second jog.  Hoping I can reel this in.  Amazing how quickly things dry out in this heat.  The zoysia blades are already thinning and showing stress again after all that rain to start the month.

Lol. I'm going for a walk so I can at least see some distant lightening. Or I might go watch a thunderstorm on YouTube.

I forget exactly where you are but radar trends look good for you, between the stuff dropping slowly south and the stuff to your west slowly drifting east you should cash in some at least...... there is enough instability going to keep things going for several more hrs so while they may weaken and shrink I bet most of Wake Co gets hit pretty good.

Possible tornado touch down a few miles away from me according to spc storm reports.

From facebook..this was right over Onslow Memorial hospital at the time this was taken not sure if it was confirmed to have touched down there is video of it too.....trying to find a link for the video

I forget exactly where you are but radar trends look good for you, between the stuff dropping slowly south and the stuff to your west slowly drifting east you should cash in some at least...... there is enough instability going to keep things going for several more hrs so while they may weaken and shrink I bet most of Wake Co gets hit pretty good.

I'm in the SE part of the county. The storms keep back-building and can't get south of a Raleigh to Cary line.

Yet another storm tonight that gets close. This one within 1 mile and yet we only get a sprinkle. And of course the big mass back to the west is falling apart. I'm ready for a hurricane 's remnants to come this way since that will be the only way we get rain here.

Pardon my newbie-ness, but what exactly is back-building?

Its when the back edge of a storm spreads out away from the overall direction of motion for the storm.....so the leading edge continues to move away but the storm appears to stay stationary over a particular spot as it grows .....this is a bit different from "training" where multiple different storms form and follow the same path, a storm that back builds just sits over you and rains....its actually kinda hard to describe what back building is now that I have tried lol...

Downeast got to it. Imagine a line of storms oriented west-east, moving east. Now imagine the western end continuing to develop new activity...essentially on the tail end of the line.

Besides continuing to develop at the western end, does it mean that the eastern end kind of disintegrate as it goes? 

Archived