• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter

metalicwx366

I can't ever remember seeing forecasts fail so miserably so often in my life. Isn't technology supposed to improve accuracy? 

Go back and read the winter threads ....

:axe:

The same thing happened all last year with regards to the forecast for rain and storms here. I said it in the severe thread, but it seems just forecasting storms here is getting as difficult as forecasting snow, and they used to be a given here every spring and summer. So often last year on days we had severe storms in the forecast we didn't get anything, and on days where they didn't really focus on severe storms is when we got the strong and severe storms. It already happened again here last week. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same thing happened all last year with regards to the forecast for rain and storms here. I said it in the severe thread, but it seems just forecasting storms here is getting as difficult as forecasting snow, and they used to be a given here every spring and summer. So often last year on days we had severe storms in the forecast we didn't get anything, and on days where they didn't really focus on severe storms is when we got the strong and severe storms. It already happened again here last week.

The models never handle gulf convection robbing the moisture transport correctly.

If it isn't going to storm at least it should be sunny.

It's going to take a 999 or lower MB low going through the Ohio Valley for areas east of the mountains to get any real rain and maybe change the large scale pattern. Even then, if CAD is in place ahead of the low, NC and SC could well stay dry. It will stay dry east of the mountains until the CAD pattern gets kicked out regardless of what any model says.

It's going to take a 999 or lower MB low going through the Ohio Valley for areas east of the mountains to get any real rain and maybe change the large scale pattern. Even then, if CAD is in place ahead of the low, NC and SC could well stay dry. It will stay dry east of the mountains until the CAD pattern gets kicked out regardless of what any model says.

We need the gulf to be fully open and aimed squarely at the Carolinas. We need the troughs and the ridges to cooperate to make this happen.

The Big Wet 2015:

Looks good for my neck of the woods.  I've picked up just shy of 1/2 inch of rainfall since yesterday evening.  It's been quite welcome.

It's very muggy outside today, but the temp is relatively low.  I like this CAD weather.  I hope it sticks around all spring and summer long:  cloudy days with showers here and there.  Perfect!

We finally got some decent rain around here today.

Want rain - my neck of the woods should be wet 3 out of 5 days from now until October (excepting sometimes May which can be dry/fire season) ....

Rain has its issues.

Frogs from Cuba, mosquitos, mold, horrific lightning at 4PM, lawn fungus ....

Snowbird, Utah reporting 36" of snow in the past 24 hours.  25" since 5:00a.m. this morning !

I almost pulled the trigger and booked a flight yesterday morning for an evening departure, but after glancing at the NWS Cottonwoods Canyon forecast of 8-16", said, "Nah, I'll wait for a Two-Footer."

Yes, that sound is me kicking myself.

I was under tornado emergency south of Clayton, NC from that I-95 EF3 tornado on that day. Sanford/Raleigh EF3 ended up missing me by 10 miles to northwest and I-95 ended up missing by 10 miles to south. However, Sanford tornado barely missed my grandparents by a mile and I will never forget the damage I saw in Sanford when I visited my grandparents few days later. The funniest thing about the whole day was that I was supposed to visit NWS Raleigh until they called me and my mom off (as expected since high risk went up by that time). I visited NWS Raleigh a week later and they taught me how to use velocity radar to track down tornadoes by using Sanford cell as an example. Fitting that April 25-28 outbreak was the first time I looked at velocity radar in action...

Here's a day I'll never forget! :(

Mack,

That looks like the Euro way overdone clown map from the Feb. of 2014 storm. Euro clown maps should be banned until they're fixed imo. They don't even reflect what their underlying model runs are actually predicting. They spread like wildfire on Twitter and facebook, thus helping to spread the horribly inflated snow expectations for that storm.

Mack,

That looks like the Euro way overdone clown map from the Feb. of 2014 storm. Euro clown maps should be banned until they're fixed imo. They don't even reflect what their underlying model runs are actually predicting. They spread like wildfire on Twitter and facebook, thus helping to spread the horribly inflated snow expectations for that storm.

You are correct! I have it saved for posterity, and bring it up from time to time, it helps with the healing! :( ! That was my first real interaction/ heartbreak with the Euro clown map, and it was a good lesson!

Archived