Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21 storm observations

dmillz25

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Hey Pam, What would lead you to believe this and what location (I'm assuming somewhere North Shore Suffolk)? What guidance supports this? Just curious because i don't see this but I might not be looking at the same thing as you.

The short range models seem to linger the snow for an extended period...RAP in particular...and the RAP is very good in these situations...and it tends to run a little dry anyway.

Guest Pamela

Snow has slackened just a fraction in the last 20 minutes or so; picked up 9/10ths of an inch in the last hour; now 4.4 inches new snow @ 5:45 PM.

Heavy snow and for the first time today some blowing snow in Port Jefferson @ 6:45 PM...another 1.1 inches in the past hour; now 5.5 inches on the day. Temp 28.5 F...dewpoint 26.5 F...humidity 92 %. Pressure 30.22" and falling.

Been in Princeton without internet access since 10 am.  When we left there at 4 pm, they had 3" on the ground and it was 32F.  Roads on the way back to Metuchen (27 and 1) were getting slushy with moderate to heavy snow falling and the sun getting low in the sky - took an hour to get back (normally a 30 minute drive).  

As of 5:15 pm, here in Metuchen, it's 31F and we have 3.25" of new snow and it's ripping out there (was lighter when I got back around 5 pm) - definitely heavy snow with slightly less than 1/4 mile visibility - gorgeous snowfall, clinging to everything with no wind.  3.75" is a lock, which would bring me to 50" for the season - thinking we get 5", looking at the radar.  Nice little storm.  

Just got in from shoveling and building my best snowman of the year (spring guy, with beach towel, chair, golf club, boogie board, etc.) and as of 6:50 pm we have 4.5" on the ground and it's 31F.  Looks like another 30 min of moderate to light snow by the radar, so maybe we get to 5" by the end of the storm.  

4.5" puts me at 50.75" for the season - wow!  

Just got in from shoveling and building my best snowman of the year (spring guy, with beach towel, chair, golf club, boogie board, etc.) and as of 6:50 pm we have 4.5" on the ground and it's 31F.  Looks like another 30 min of moderate to light snow by the radar, so maybe we get to 5" by the end of the storm.  

4.5" puts me at 50.75" for the season - wow!  

I'm going with your official measurements as you are close enough. So we break 50. If this were 1990 we'd be talking about historic snow....

Archived