joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Severe Weather Thread

Hvward

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crazy how the state is so dry down there. I mean even the loval climate around here is crazy. We had more rain overnight but a lot of the county is really dry at the moment.

I haven't checked month to date totals here, but I can't imagine that we're not quite behind.

Here are a few hodographs and soundings from the 6z 4km NAM. Winds look favorable along the coast for cyclone development between 3pm-5pm with veered wind profiles prevalent during this period.

KILM @ 4pm

31502s9.jpg

1053392.jpg

PGV @ 4 pm. Looks to have a bit of VBV issues that could hinder development a bit.

2aj40hg.jpg

23iueu0.jpg

Overall I think this is a decent setup for areas around the Wilmington area. Looking at meso analysis you can already see good cape building in that area, along with decent shear values. NC's own little tornado alley could be under the gun today for the first time really in 2015. Places like Whiteville, Tabor City, Lumberton, & Elizabethtown will be your best bet if you are looking to chase today. Sea breeze front should have good interaction there.

Here are a few hodographs and soundings from the 6z 4km NAM. Winds look favorable along the coast for cyclone development between 3pm-5pm with veered wind profiles prevalent during this period.

KILM @ 4pm

31502s9.jpg

1053392.jpg

PGV @ 4 pm. Looks to have a bit of VBV issues that could hinder development a bit.

2aj40hg.jpg

23iueu0.jpg

Overall I think this is a decent setup for areas around the Wilmington area. Looking at meso analysis you can already see good cape building in that area, along with decent shear values. NC's own little tornado alley could be under the gun today for the first time really in 2015. Places like Whiteville, Tabor City, Lumberton, & Elizabethtown will be your best bet if you are looking to chase today. Sea breeze front should have good interaction there.

Great post! If I can get someone to come along with me, I'm definitely going out. I was waiting for a plains expedition, but everything there so far has turned into a giant floody mess. So I'm a bit antsy.

I don't know if that specific, about-40-miles-SW-of-i95 corridor will get it. I'm thinking more along a stretch about 20 miles off the coast, from whiteville to Jacksonville to new been. Burgaw is also a hotspot during these setups, I might base there for good times sake. Should be fun. Just wish winds aloft were stronger.

Already in the 80s here with continued sun, today looks promising but we'll see, the sea breeze was really evident on radar yesterday,hoping for a repeat today.

Only 68 here and have not seen the sun all day. Funny how 120 miles can make all the difference. 

Does look like there is a storm to the south near Angier and Clayton.

Had a few peeks of sun but its been mostly cloudy all morning here just west of PGV. I'm thinking i'm too far west for any good stuff and the highway 17 corridor looks like a good spot to be. I will have very limited chasing ability today so I really need a cell to come up through lenoir county near Kinston towards ayden and SE pitt county for me to chase. Gonna be a stretch I think to get a tornadic cell that far NW.

mcd0713.gif

1111 AM CDT THU MAY 21 2015   AREAS AFFECTED...E-CNTRL AND ERN NC / SC GRAND STRAND   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE    VALID 211611Z - 211745Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT   SUMMARY...SCATTERED STORMS ARE FORECAST TO DEVELOP OVER THE NEXT FEW   HOURS.  AN ISOLATED SEVERE THREAT WILL LIKELY DEVELOP AND A WATCH   WILL STRONGLY BE CONSIDERED.   DISCUSSION...SUBJECTIVE SURFACE MESOANALYSIS PLACES A LOW 30 MI W   SOP WITH A WEST-EAST ORIENTED WARM FRONT AND A TRAILING COLD FRONT   ACROSS THE SC PIEDMONT.  A PREFRONTAL CONFLUENCE/SURFACE TROUGH   EXTENDS FROM THE LOW SEWD THROUGH THE GRAND STRAND VICINITY.    OBSERVATIONS TO THE E OF THE SURFACE TROUGH AND LOCATED WITHIN THE   WARM SECTOR SHOW TEMPS WARMING TO NEAR 80 DEG F WITH BOUNDARY LAYER   DEWPOINTS IN THE MID-UPPER 60S INLAND AND AROUND 70 NEAR THE COAST.    SUPER RAPIDSCAN VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS A BUILDING TCU FIELD   IMMEDIATELY E OF THE LOW AND ALONG THE PREFRONTAL TROUGH/CONFLUENCE.       WATER VAPOR IMAGERY LATE THIS MORNING IMPLIES A WEAK LEAD   DISTURBANCE MOVING ACROSS W-CNTRL NC AHEAD OF THE MID MS VALLEY   SHORTWAVE TROUGH FORECAST TO APPROACH THE CNTRL APPALACHIANS LATER   TODAY.  IT SEEMS THE WEAK UPPER FORCING FOR ASCENT PROVIDED BY THE   LEAD IMPULSE COUPLED WITH ADDITIONAL DIABATIC HEATING WILL ERODE THE   CAP OVER THE NEXT 1-2 HOURS AND SCATTERED STORM COVERAGE IS PROBABLE   BY THE 18-19Z TIMEFRAME.     VEERING AND A GRADUAL STRENGTHENING OF WINDS WITH HEIGHT WILL   SUPPORT STORM ORGANIZATION ONCE A FEW VIGOROUS UPDRAFTS BECOME   ESTABLISHED.  FORECAST SOUNDINGS DEPICT MODERATE BUOYANCY AS OF 16Z   ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR AND THIS SHOULD FAVOR STORM INTENSIFICATION   OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS ONCE INITIATION COMMENCES.  ISOLD LARGE   HAIL AND DMGG WINDS WILL BE THE PRIMARY THREATS.  DESPITE TEMPERED   LOW-LEVEL SHEAR...A TORNADO MAY ALSO BE POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY IF A   SUPERCELL CAN DEVELOP AND FAVORABLY TRACK ALONG THE WARM FRONT.   ..SMITH/THOMPSON.. 05/21/2015

Not been sunny here really but I went to lunch just now and the cool and chilly stable airmass we had this morning has been replaced and its now muggy and feels like there is plenty of energy to work with for these storms.

Storms out west looking linear will need to keep a eye out for any discrete cells that fire out in front of the main lines as they develop those will be the ones that spin up

Edit: looks like we got a severe thunderstorm watch coming out

Cell in Wilson Co quickly spun up and has a couplet and hook appearing on radar gonna get a tornado warning on it soon I bet if it keeps up headed more or less for Wilson.....Shaggy that's all you man

Yep thats the first cell of the day that really has my attention. Cells to the south are in best environment but that cell headed towards Wilson has the best structure so far of the day. Good lightning on it also.

Yep thats the first cell of the day that really has my attention. Cells to the south are in best environment but that cell headed towards Wilson has the best structure so far of the day. Good lightning on it also.

Its also closer to the warm front so the ones that ride that boundry could spin up as well in fact they would be the most likely to produce a stronger tornado.....kinda ragged the last few scans but its headed into more favorable conditions......should have a STW got some nasty winds in it regardless.

Archived