Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Severe Weather Thread

Hvward

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTH CENTRAL BEAUFORT COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 830 PM EDT

* AT 753 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED

NEAR GOOSE CREEK STATE PARK...OR 7 MILES EAST OF RIVER ROAD...AND

MOVING NORTH AT 5 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

WASHINGTON AND GOOSE CREEK STATE PARK.

• 3 weeks later...

Figure I would bump this to keep the obs thread from getting cluttered with storm reports

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1083
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1236 PM CDT SAT JUN 20 2015

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL/ERN WEST VIRGINIA...SRN
   PENNSYLVANIA...WRN/CNTRL MARYLAND...WRN/NRN VIRGINIA...AND THE WRN
   CAROLINAS

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 201736Z - 201930Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT

SUMMARY...THE RISK FOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...AND PERHAPS AT LEAST
   RELATIVELY SHORT-LIVED/WEAK TORNADOES...IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE
   DURING THE NEXT FEW HOURS.  THIS MAY BE SOMEWHAT SPOTTY IN THE NEAR
   TERM...WITH A MORE SUBSTANTIVE INCREASE IN SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL
   ACROSS THE PIEDMONT CLOSER TO 20-21Z.  ONE OR MORE WATCHES PROBABLY
   WILL BE NEEDED.

DISCUSSION...BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZATION IS ALREADY BECOMING
   SUPPORTIVE OF INCREASING CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT ACROSS AND TO THE
   IMMEDIATE LEE OF MUCH OF THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS.
   THIS PROBABLY IS BEING AIDED BY FORCING FOR ASCENT DOWNSTREAM OF THE
   MID-LEVEL REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM BILL.  A BELT OF CYCLONIC/WEST
   SOUTHWESTERLY MID TROPOSPHERIC FLOW ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE IS
   ALREADY NOSING ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS INTO THE PIEDMONT OF THE
   CAROLINAS AND SOUTHERN VIRGINIA.  AS THIS CONTINUES...A GRADUAL
   CORRESPONDING STRENGTHENING OF SOUTHERLY 850 MB FLOW IS EXPECTED
   ACROSS THE SAME REGION THROUGH THE AFTERNOON...SLOWLY SPREADING
   EASTWARD. 

AS THIS FORCING...AND STRENGTHENING/INCREASINGLY SHEARED LOWER/MID
   TROPOSPHERIC FLOW FIELDS...BEGIN TO INTERACT WITH HIGHER MOISTURE
   CONTENT AIR /CHARACTERIZED BY SURFACE DEW POINTS AT OR ABOVE 70F/
   ALONG AND TO THE EAST OF THE LEE SURFACE TROUGH...A MORE SUBSTANTIVE
   RISK FOR SEVERE STORMS IS EXPECTED TO MATERIALIZE.  THIS SEEMS
   MOSTLY LIKELY CLOSER TO OR AFTER 20-21Z...AND WILL INCLUDE THE RISK
   FOR POTENTIALLY DAMAGING SURFACE WIND GUSTS...PERHAPS AT LEAST
   RELATIVELY SHORT-LIVED/BRIEF TORNADOES...PARTICULARLY NEAR A WEAK
   WARM FRONTAL ZONE EXTENDING ACROSS THE EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA
   PANHANDLE AND WESTERN/NORTHERN MARYLAND INTO SOUTH CENTRAL
   PENNSYLVANIA.

Wonder if that area will move east as the day goes along.

If the line over the upstate of SC can hook up with the line leaving the foothills of NC then we could get a decent squall line that I would imagine would race east...

We got some sea breeze type storms going up I got a big one not to far to my south and another forming to my SW.....both went from nothing to 25k ft in 3 frames

If the line over the upstate of SC can hook up with the line leaving the foothills of NC then we could get a decent squall line that I would imagine would race east...

We got some sea breeze type storms going up I got a big one not to far to my south and another forming to my SW.....both went from nothing to 25k ft in 3 frames

I think you are getting what you asked for in the obs thread.

Some severe storm that was. A bit of wind and just steady rain right now. No even good lightning strikes from it. Nothing severe to it. Only .20" so far from it so far. But we do need the rain and it is welcomed as it has cooled down to 77, dew point 71.

From this afternoon's HWO

THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON ANDEVENING HOURS EACH DAY THIS WEEK. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS WILLBECOME INCREASINGLY FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE WEATHER...PARTICULARLY ON WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY.

THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND
EVENING HOURS EACH DAY THIS WEEK. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS WILL
BECOME INCREASINGLY FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE WEATHER...PARTICULARLY ON 
WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY.

Which means I probably won't see any storms at all on Wednesday and Thursday if it goes like it has all year when there is talk of severe weather.

Which means I probably won't see any storms at all on Wednesday and Thursday if it goes like it has all year when there is talk of severe weather.

Please stop.  We get it. 

If you can't afford to hire a personal met to forecast only for your house, you will have to live with area forecasts like the rest of us.

Some severe storms are just to my NW drifting very slowly SE. It looks quite dark. This could be a doozy for Sav.

Saw the 2 reports in KSAV od the NW47 G 64 mph and the VRB 6 gusts to 68 MPH. That's 3 significant SVR WX events recorded at the ASOS this year alone.

Locally, I got hit here too, with nickel sized hail, 50-60 mph wind gusts, extreme excessive CG and torrential rainfalls. Summerville was also hit pretty hard too.

Attached is the radar just before things went ape here.post-1324-0-20165800-1435024619_thumb.gi

Please stop.  We get it. 

If you can't afford to hire a personal met to forecast only for your house, you will have to live with area forecasts like the rest of us.

The severe weather forecasts have been really off for a lot of people the last couple of years.

I just think it is funny that when we do have big storms around here they are during times when there is no watch at all, and when there is a watch we don't get any storms at all. Cold Rain has said as much, too. Not mad or bitter about it, or anything like that. I just think it is comical now. 

The severe weather forecasts have been really off for a lot of people the last couple of years.

I just think it is funny that when we do have big storms around here they are during times when there is no watch at all, and when there is a watch we don't get any storms at all. Cold Rain has said as much, too. Not mad or bitter about it, or anything like that. I just think it is comical now.

Some of the best snows come with no warning!

Some of the best snows come with no warning!

Some of the best storms, too. The couple of times I have actually had severe storms this year came when there was no watch. The biggest came on a day when the mets were talking more about a severe threat a couple of days later, and then there were no storms at all that day. I just think it's crazy how that has been happening regularly the last couple of years here.

Some of the best storms, too. The couple of times I have actually had severe storms this year came when there was no watch. The biggest came on a day when the mets were talking more about a severe threat a couple of days later, and then there were no storms at all that day. I just think it's crazy how that has been happening regularly the last couple of years here.

I think I read or heard that they were going to consolidate NWS offices!? Like GSP , lord help us, may be the only office , for the whole Southeast? Maybe it was just for severe, but not sure?

Wonder why WRAL calls the yellow elevated while the SPC calls it slight.

All has to due with who they are broadcasting to --- The public. When they tell everyone that the SPC has the area in a slight risk zone, it is normally brushed off because the public perceives slight as only having a very small chance. Elevated gives the feeling of a higher chance of storms.

All has to due with who they are broadcasting to --- The public. When they tell everyone that the SPC has the area in a slight risk zone, it is normally brushed off because the public perceives slight as only having a very small chance. Elevated gives the feeling of a higher chance of storms.

Goes along with my thinking that the terms marginal and slight are too similar and really only need one or the other, not both.

3000+ J/KG ML Cape over most of eastern NC.  5000+ J/KG SB Cape near the coast!  LIs at least -7 over most of eastern NC with pockets of -8.  DCape of 1200 J/KG over a lot of the area.  Cape in the hail growth zone is around 700 J/KG.  And Velocity Tensor Magnitude is around 306.  If only we had a match.

Those are pretty robust parameters.  They'll probably drop as the afternoon wears on, as more mixing occurs.

THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND
EVENING HOURS EACH DAY THIS WEEK. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS WILL
BECOME INCREASINGLY FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE WEATHER...PARTICULARLY ON 
WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY.

Wonder if there has been any change in the thinking for Wednesday and Thursday.

Archived