Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Severe Weather Thread

Hvward

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORNADO WARNING FOR...

EASTERN WASHINGTON COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

NORTHWESTERN MAINLAND HYDE COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

SOUTHWESTERN TYRRELL COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 915 PM EDT

* AT 834 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED 9

MILES WEST OF COLUMBIA...OR 18 MILES SOUTH OF HERTFORD...AND MOVING

SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

northwestern Johnston County in central North Carolina...

southern Wake County in central North Carolina...

northeastern Harnett County in central North Carolina...

* until 1000 PM EDT

* at 856 PM EDT...Doppler radar indicated a severe thunderstorm

capable of producing quarter size hail and damaging winds in excess

of 58 mph. This storm was located near Fuquay-Varina...or 9 miles

south of Cary...and moving southeast at 10 mph.

* Locations impacted include...

Raleigh...Cary...Garner...Fuquay-Varina...Clayton...Angier...

apex...Holly Springs...Knightdale and Wendell.

Hope you get on bud. I got the old shaftola inbound here in southern Wake. Looks like the main activity keeps dying off to the east and reforming farther west. Bummer. At least I'll get some anvil blow-off mercy drops and be able to hear some thunder in the distance and see some heat lightening. :)

Getting clocked right now. Continuous lightening, heavy rain, and gusty winds. No hail.

Never give up lol.....I am currently watching one of if not the most prolific lightning storms I have ever seen, the lightning in continuous strobe effect I see both the Williamston and Tornado warned storm in line and its pretty ****ing amazing....

Bulk of the storm is gonna miss us to the S & W, but... before the rain started, I was able to get my wife out on our almost completed access ramp for a nice view of a bunch of spider lightning... something she hasn't been able to see in over 2 years because of access! That alone makes the storm worth it.

Bulk of the storm is gonna miss us to the S & W, but... before the rain started, I was able to get my wife out on our almost completed access ramp for a nice view of a bunch of spider lightning... something she hasn't been able to see in over 2 years because of access! That alone makes the storm worth it.

Awesome the freezing level is down to around 13k so the lightning in these storms tonight is about as good as it can get around here, I watched it for a hr and I bet there wasn't more than a second at the most where I saw nothing flashing.....

Well, looks like another time with a severe thunderstorm watch and no real big storms at the house. Still had the biggest storm this year when there was nothing severe mentioned, and batting zero for the watches.

Night isn't over yet, models still suggest another round or line of storms coming through in 3-4 hrs as the S/W works through.....just south of Richmond VA is getting hammered right now and that area could be part of what gets that next area to get in here going....

also parameters are still pretty ridiculous considering its 10pm and it wouldn't surprise me to see storms off and on all night and if we don't get any storms then the tomorrow will start off insanely unstable and we will see the cap gone by lunchtime...I wouldn't be surprised to see them up us to slight risk tomorrow.

The conditions did warrant a watch. Just crazy how I have not had anything severe here at all this year when under a watch.

Disagree strongly with the first sentence.

By the way, the storm that rolled through here is still cooking. The continuous lightening display is amazing.

The conditions did warrant a watch. Just crazy how I have not had anything severe here at all this year when under a watch.

But its not really that odd,  watch areas are huge and the chances of any one spot getting a verified severe storm is actually extremely low, the watch had a 60% prop on their being 6  ( that's it 6 ) severe wind/hail reports in the watch area which is 300 miles by 200 miles so the chances of any one place getting a severe enough storm to warrant a report is really small......and its usually that way around here every watch.....

That's awesome man. Do you need any help finishing that access ramp? I don't know the first thing about building one, but if you could use an hand, if be happy to help. PM me if you need anything around this.

That's awesome man. Do you need any help finishing that access ramp? I don't know the first thing about building one, but if you could use an hand, if be happy to help. PM me if you need anything around this.

Hey thanks, man. Contractor is my nephew -- and another nephew and I are helping him. Ramp itself is done -- Saturday, just a 5 step set of steps to cut and attach.

AS OF 955 PM THURSDAY...

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 353 CONTINUES UNTIL MIDNIGHT EDT

TONIGHT AREA FROM THE TRIANGLE TO THE NORTHEAST..

THERE HAS BEEN NEARLY CONTINUOUS CONVECTIVE INITIATION THIS

EVENING.. ALONG WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE REMNANTS OF OUTFLOW FROM

EARLY MORNING CONVECTION STRETCHING FROM BURLINGTON TO RALEIGH.

MOST OF THE STORMS HAVE BEEN RATHER INTENSE IN WHAT ULTIMATELY WAS A

HIGH CAPE ENVIRONMENT ONCE STRONG HEATING FINALLY TOOK HOLD. WHILE

THESE STORMS HAVE FINALLY BEGUN MOVE SOUTHEAST AND WEAKEN..AT LEAST

TEMPORARILY...THERE IS ANOTHER ROUND OF CONVECTION POSSIBLE AS

MERGING SUPERCELLS OVER CENTRAL VA AND/OR OUTFLOW FROM STORMS OVER

EASTERN KY APPROACH THE AREA. WHILE A SMALL AREA BETWEEN THE TRIAD

AND TRIANGLE HAS BEEN WORKED OVER AND THERE WILL BE SOME SMALL

NOCTURNAL COOLING IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS...THERE SHOULD STILL

BE PLENTY OF ENERGY FOR STORMS TO FEED ON...POSSIBLY EVEN REMAINING

ROOTED NEAR THE SURFACE. DEEP LAYER SHEAR WILL BE STRONG...35-

40KT...AND BACKED SOUTHEASTERLY SURFACE WINDS WILL MAINTAIN AT LEAST

A SMALL AREA OF ENHANCED HELICITY AND A TORNADO THREAT OVER THE

NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN. OTHERWISE...THE PRIMARY CONCERN WILL BE

DAMAGING WINDS WITH BOWING SEGMENTS. THE LATEST HRRR BRINGS A

CLUSTER OF STORMS THROUGH BETWEEN 04Z AND 09Z...WHICH EXTENDS BEYOND

THE CURRENT SEVERE WATCH THAT ENDS AT 05Z...SO SOME CONSIDERATION

WILL HAVE TO BE GIVEN TO THAT AS WELL. LOWS TONIGHT WILL BE IN THE

LOWER 70S ONCE CONVECTION CLEARS THE AREA.

Might be the Hi Res were to far SW with the band or to fast with it, as it had it around midnight.....man it looks really rough along the James River in VA though, I love storms like that during the day but they stink at night.....if we dont have a lot of clouds in the morning and the line the models have over night doesn't happen to turn the atmosphere over tonight I am willing to bet by lunchtime tomorrow things will quickly break down and we will get some severe storms around.

The updraft as it started forming, keep in mind this is 20 miles to my north so you never hear the thunder, and I thought this was pretty active but it was nothing compared to what it was doing 30 mins later.....which I got video of but it looks like crap to me.

Cool lightning captures. Lots of positive lightning strikes and interesting storm structure.

I'm interested to see how today plays out because with the lack of storms south of raleigh yesterday the atmosphere is already starting out with >2000 Sb cape and skies are clear there today as well where as yesterday there were  overcast skies for a good portion of the morning.

Archived