• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

PB GFI, on 22 Mar 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Nov - Dec - Jan - Feb - Mar . This winter certainly had some duration to it .

I think we barely had some snow in December.  December was not also so cold.  I think real winter began in 2nd half of January.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

big storm just misses the area on gfs next weekend. h5 looks great.

We need a weaker first wave on Thursday so the baroclinic zone is closer to the coast for the second wave so it doesn't

scoot OTS. March 5th worked out perfectly for us when the models backed off the first wave and 

trended closer with the second as we got closer to storm time.

I think we barely had some snow in December.  December was not also so cold.  I think real winter began in 2nd half of January.

Areas just N and W had a foot of snow in Nov . As for KNYC the 1st 15 days of the month were below normal. It was cold enough to be considered and feel like a winter month .

We need a weaker first wave on Thursday so the baroclinic zone is closer to the coast for the second wave so it doesn't

scoot OTS. March 5th worked out perfectly for us when the models backed off the first wave and 

trended closer with the second as we got closer to storm time.

The march 5th storm has a SE ridge to work with , so it had to come N

I do agree we need the first piece to be weaker but I would like to see the ridge axis settle a little further west which would allow the trough to go neutral quicker .

The result would be the height falls would b further N and SLP would tucked In more at OBX .

The march 5th storm has a SE ridge to work with , so it had to come N

I do agree we need the first piece to be weaker but I would like to see the ridge axis settle a little further west which would allow the trough to go neutral quicker .

The result would be the height falls would b further N and SLP would tucked In more at OBX .

If we could get the first wave to shear out a bit more on later runs that would leave the ridge axis further west for the

second wave to go neutral quicker.

hows the euro looking for friday

The Thursday wave kicks the cold front too far east so the second wave rides along OTS to our SE.

It also doesn't help matters that the clipper coming behind appears to be acting as a kicker keeping

things more progressive on today's run.

So it sounds as if the GGEM is the only model showing a storm next weekend. Long way to go, but DT is saying the storm won't trend closer to the coast in this setup where the AO and NAO are extremely positive. Is DT good and do you think his argument is a good one? If you listen to him, this storm has no chance.

So it sounds as if the GGEM is the only model showing a storm next weekend. Long way to go, but DT is saying the storm won't trend closer to the coast in this setup where the AO and NAO are extremely positive. Is DT good and do you think his argument is a good one? If you listen to him, this storm has no chance.

DT has been off all winter. i wouldn't listen to him.

With respect to the AO and PNA, an AO-/PNA+ is more common for smaller late-season snowstorms in NYC, while an AO+/PNA- is more common with the larger ones. Below is a chart for 1950 through 2014.

NYCLate_Season_Snowfalls.jpg

In addition, if one takes a look at 4" or greater snowstorms (1 or 2 days in duration), the following AO/PNA setups were present when the storms commenced.

April 8, 1956: 4.2" AO-/PNA+

March 29, 1970: 4.0" AO-/PNA-

April 6-7, 1982: 9.6" AO+/PNA-

March 28-29, 1996: 4.1" AO-/PNA-

April 7-8, 2003: 4.0" AO+/PNA-

Note: The PNA was negative for 4 out of the 5 storms. The only setup missing from that small collection of storms was an AO+/PNA+ setup.

IMO, once when gets closer to the possible event, one will need to see how the exact synoptic pattern gets established regardless of the teleconnections. That's especially important as wave lengths continue to shorten.

With respect to the AO and PNA, an AO-/PNA+ is more common for smaller late-season snowstorms in NYC, while an AO+/PNA- is more common with the larger ones. Below is a chart for 1950 through 2014.

NYCLate_Season_Snowfalls.jpg

upload imagem

In addition, if one takes a look at 4" or greater snowstorms (1 or 2 days in duration), the following AO/PNA setups were present when the storms commenced.

April 8, 1956: 4.2" AO-/PNA+

March 29, 1970: 4.0" AO-/PNA-

April 6-7, 1982: 9.6" AO+/PNA-

March 28-29, 1996: 4.1" AO-/PNA-

April 7-8, 2003: 4.0" AO+/PNA-

Note: The PNA was negative for 4 out of the 5 storms. The only setup missing from that small collection of storms was an AO+/PNA+ setup.

IMO, once when gets closer to the possible event, one will need to see how the exact synoptic pattern gets established regardless of the teleconnections. That's especially important as wave lengths continue to shorten.

You sir need to share this in the NE forum they are asking about this

Dt never said the storm had no chance, he just stated that the AO and NAO are positive, NOT allowing the storm to strongly develop closer to the coast. It was a good write up by DT imo. DT convinced me we have a long ways to go to make this storm to work out for us.

You at least need a -NAO this time of year for a major snowstorm, you can get away with +AO but we are going to have neither this weekend. DT explained why in detail

if March averages less than 40.0 for the month it will be two consecutive March's averaging in the 30's...last year averaged 37.7...so far as of yesterday March is averaging 37.6...The last time there was two March's in a row averaging less than 40 was March 1939-40-41...it's making up for the two warm March's in 2010 and 2012...

Archived