• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 5th Storm Banter Thread

nj2va

By multiple metrics, the last 2 years will be viewed as historic. Even moreso than 09-10 if we can look beyond ridiculous snow. I just got my driver's license the last time we've knocked down two in a row like this. Half a million miles later....

I was just thinking about this today. Let's go for 3 in a row.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about this today. Let's go for 3 in a row.

We just got 2 free passes. We really have no busniess freezing brackish water thick enough to drive a F150 on it while scoring solid snowfall 2 years in a row with the upper level pattern we've been dealt. If there was ever a chance to score a trifecta, this is it.

This has been one hell of a run. And it is so much more enjoyable for me because I'm not chasing anything. Breaking the back 2 back climo + milestone almost has to make this a good winter, especially given the awful periods we've had.

The last 8 weeks of temps and 3 weeks of frozen wx are special. There's no way to down play it unless you just moved from areas far north or west.

We just got 2 free passes. We really have no busniess freezing brackish water thick enough to drive a F150 on it while scoring solid snowfall 2 years in a row with the upper level pattern we've been dealt. If there was ever a chance to score a trifecta, this is it.

I know most will just laugh it off but JB is starting to change his tune about next winter. He was promoting warmth now he thinks we are cold again next year.

I'm much more qualitative about snow than many.  I guess you have to be living where I do.  If it snows hard and sticks, I don't really care much whether I get 4 or 6".  Of course I want the higher amounts.  But it doesn't really matter a whole lot.  If I can blast my music and walk around, and just soak it all in, I am happy.  There is a lot of fixation on quantity.

I agree. Snowcover is snowcover, be it 4" or 16".

Need 2.5" to reach climo; I'll be happy with that.  That would make 3 straight years exceeding climo.  6.5" and I'll hit 30" for the thrid consecutive year... now that would be impressive.  I'd be shocked if we got that much snow out of this.  Purely for stats at this point; it'll all be gone by Sunday anyway.

Would love to have shifted these last 3 weeks to 6 weeks earlier.

Yep, would have been nice. Need 2.3 for 30 here, already slightly above climo. 4 weeks ago those numbers looked impossible to achieve. 

I'm much more qualitative about snow than many.  I guess you have to be living where I do.  If it snows hard and sticks, I don't really care much whether I get 4 or 6".  Of course I want the higher amounts.  But it doesn't really matter a whole lot.  If I can blast my music and walk around, and just soak it all in, I am happy.  There is a lot of fixation on quantity.

I like the timing on this one.. assuming there is no work I am wandering all morning. :D

even more remarkable when you think about the pattern we didn't have to accomplish this.

let's do this!

This is where I think we should recognize that weather forecasting is still evolving long range. We may think right now we went against some well established norms but we really do not even know what the norms are for all the different combinations.

I know most will just laugh it off but JB is starting to change his tune about next winter. He was promoting warmth now he thinks we are cold again next year.

I'll start tracking next winter in late November. Temp forecasts are going to verify for completely different reasons than what was discussed leading in. The only LR forecaster that gets an A is the one who called for a fading Nino, zero blocking, and monster Pac pattern that overcame it all.

The last 8 weeks of temps and 3 weeks of frozen wx are special. There's no way to down play it unless you just moved from areas far north or west.

Since the arctic plastering snow blast thru and into this Saturday, 3 weeks, I think we will have averaged -15 for the 21 days plus couple of ice events, 5/6 snow events. Even 79 streak wasn't that cold, probably 1977 last time.

Latest Euro run assures Leesburg of at least 12-13 inches. Hopefully he can score a couple of heavy thundersnows as well. Rockville is definitely in the game for 12. Heck of a way to end the night! That heavy snow axis is a total massacre. This is what you get when you start messing around with a pineapple express firehose straight out of the deep tropical Pacific with deep Gulf of Mexico moisture entrainment, into an Arctic Boundary over Kentucky/West Virginia/Virginia/Maryland and the rest of the Mid Atlantic Region. This is NO Morch. This is a total snow assault worthy of the Normandy invasion. Snow rates will be realized that'll be sicker than ebola, the bubonic plague, and the Spanish Flu of 1918.

Latest Euro run assures Leesburg of at least 12-13 inches. Hopefully he can score a couple of heavy thundersnows as well. Rockville is definitely in the game for 12. Heck of a way to end the night! That heavy snow axis is a total massacre. This is what you get when you start messing around with a pineapple express firehose straight out of the deep tropical Pacific with deep Gulf of Mexico moisture entrainment, into an Arctic Boundary over Kentucky/West Virginia/Virginia/Maryland and the rest of the Mid Atlantic Region. This is NO Morch. This is a total snow assault worthy of the Normandy invasion. Snow rates will be realized that'll be sicker than ebola, the bubonic plague, and the Spanish Flu of 1918.

I hope you faceplant while trying to walk in plain rain.  Remember NWS going insane with ratios last week?

Seriously, if I have to have frozen junk, s*** is easier to deal with than the other stuff.

I hope you faceplant while trying to walk in plain rain.  Remember NWS going insane with ratios last week?

Seriously, if I have to have frozen junk, s*** is easier to deal with than the other stuff.

ha.ha. LWX got so burned the last time they went bullish that their 401 discussion of 6 pm onwards went right to Thursday evening!

Pittsburgh, Charleston, and Mount Holly have all issued warnings, so it shouldn't be long before LWX joins the pink party.

So did State College.

LWX is holding off due to uncertainty about changeover timing.

The 6Z Nam shows DCA still above freezing at 24h.

Hello all, Im usually in the SE forum, but I have 2 interviews this week for the Maryland State Park Service, tomorrow at Patapsco Valley, and Thursday (doubtful with the forecast) at Sandy Point in Annapolis. Hopefully I will be joining y'all permanently soon at one of your lovely state parks!

That's very cool, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMAO!!!

I noticed that LWX totally glossed over the frontal boundary. They were obviously too damn SCARED to even try to hazard a guess as to when changeovers will take place lmao. They are gonna all get severe migraine headaches just tryin' to THINK about forecasting that changeover LMAO!

BTW - I won't faceplant on a plain rain jebwalk and I almost never fall on ice or in snow. I am god's gift to winter destruction, kind of like a "superman" in winter conditions. I could walk effortlessly on a glacier while men raised in that environment slip and fall HARD as hell, with terrific force, and shatter their hipbones and legs lol while screaming in severe pain.

Archived