joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM has support from the CMC and to a lesser extent the RGEM, it's not like it's out there on its own.   The GFS is the one out on its own

GFS UKMET EURO SREFs .

How many times are you going to say the same thing .

The streets @ KNYC will stay wet and what falls on the colder surfaces will prob melt Sat .

But the GFS is not alone . 

This is in response to weatherpuf in the 3/20-21 thread. To answer the question; yes many responders were breathing a collective sigh of relief that the aircraft did not enter the water. Even if the bay is ten feet next to the runway, you have serveral factors going against you. First, ten feet is much more than you need to drown passengers on a commercial flight. Also, how the aircraft would have entered the water (over a negative 45 degree nose tilt.. In other words straight into the water) would have immediately taken on copious amounts of water. This would have rendered the passengers trapped. Most importantly, the water was around 32 degrees. When your body hits the water with temperatures this low, your limbs immediately become useless. The blood rushes to the core to protect the vital organs, leaving a very slim amount of blood in the limbs (not enough to move quickly or swim at all). So essentially what would happen is that most if not all passengers would be trapped inside a fuselage full of ice cold water. Even if there were pockets of air, getting to them would be nearly impossible, and by the time responders such as myself had reached them... You get the picture.

This is in response to weatherpuf in the 3/20-21 thread. To answer the question; yes many responders were breathing a collective sigh of relief that the aircraft did not enter the water. Even if the bay is ten feet next to the runway, you have serveral factors going against you. First, ten feet is much more than you need to drown passengers on a commercial flight. Also, how the aircraft would have entered the water (over a negative 45 degree nose tilt.. In other words straight into the water) would have immediately taken on copious amounts of water. This would have rendered the passengers trapped. Most importantly, the water was around 32 degrees. When your body hits the water with temperatures this low, your limbs immediately become useless. The blood rushes to the core to protect the vital organs, leaving a very slim amount of blood in the limbs (not enough to move quickly or swim at all). So essentially what would happen is that most if not all passengers would be trapped inside a fuselage full of ice cold water. Even if there were pockets of air, getting to them would be nearly impossible, and by the time responders such as myself had reached them... You get the picture.

Didn't realize that. I have a lot of boating experience fishing the shallows around Raritan Bay and you can see bottom near the shoreline ( we used to watch fluke inhaling the bait ) so I just thought this huge plane would have enough clearance to get everyone out. As for the water temps, you go into the water at this time, you're not going to last long. There have been fatalities from charters and such even in much warmer temps. A friend tried to swim after my boat when it slipped my hands on the Arthur Kill one November morning; he made three strokes and came back immediately; said his limbs were getting heavy right away. By the way a tug retrieved the boat for us. Tide had sucked it out to the channel in minutes. The Arthur Kill is narrow and has a swift deep channel.

Didn't realize that. I have a lot of boating experience fishing the shallows around Raritan Bay and you can see bottom near the shoreline ( we used to watch fluke inhaling the bait ) so I just thought this huge plane would have enough clearance to get everyone out. As for the water temps, you go into the water at this time, you're not going to last long. There have been fatalities from charters and such even in much warmer temps. A friend tried to swim after my boat when it slipped my hands on the Arthur Kill one November morning; he made three strokes and came back immediately; said his limbs were getting heavy right away. By the way a tug retrieved the boat for us. Tide had sucked it out to the channel in minutes. The Arthur Kill is narrow and has a swift deep channel.

Yes that is exactly why we always wear wet suits, in addition to the tremendous amount of conditioning we go through.

Yes that is exactly why we always wear wet suits, in addition to the tremendous amount of conditioning we go through.

I know a guy bought a survival suit after his friends boat went down off NJ after being swamped by a freak wave. They tied themselves to the boat ( supposed to have positive flotation, well, so much for that ) and almost went down with it but they were lucky to have a fillet knife to cut free. It was midsummer and they had life jackets but after so many hours they started losing it; they tried to swim to shore ( they went in the wrong direction ) and would have been gone if not for a commercial fisherman who happened by. I really don't like going offshore, but I have rescued folks a couple times right in the bay; some kids who got caught in the current near S Amboy and also a couple dudes who tried fishing from a small dinghy which got swamped. He actually wrote the account up in The Fisherman.

Looks like warlock will be plowing tomorrow, to celebrate the first day of spring

The going rates are pretty steep around here. My friends in CT pay $50 to have their driveway done which

more than twice the length of my friends in Suffolk who pay $100.

Archived